Menu

Ds 10 loves to read, but particular, need suggestions...

ThreeBlessings

My ds is 10. He LOVES to read. He devours books, but he is very particular and doesn't like/want to read most of my suggestions. I have shown him how to search for books on our library website, but that did no good. Imo he judges books by the cover, regardless of our discussing not doing that. If he decides he will not like a book before opening it within 2-3 chapters he has proven himself right. I have no problem with him reading the books I assign for school, rather need help finding books for him to read for enjoyment.

Books he's loved/liked:

Bunnicula series (though I think he's old for this now)

Time Cat

Warriors series

Martin's Mice

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Holes

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Garfield Comics

Calvin and Hobbes Comics

Books he hasn't:

Series of Unfortunate Events

Harry Potter

Lightning Thief

The Penderwicks

Artemis Fowl

I'm out of ideas! HELP PLEASE! :)

Edited by ThreeBlessings
eta: a couple titles I forgot

These are fun books:

Mad Scientist Club

Mouse and the Motorcycle

Henry books from Beverly Cleary

Andrew Clements books

The Witches and other Dahl books

Gone-Away Lake

My Side of the Mountain

There's an Owl in the Shower

By the Great Horn Spoon

The Great Brain

The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks

Homer Price

Centerburg Tales

Hatchet

The Cricket in Time Square

Okay, I'm thinking funny, light, animal related. Fantasy's not off limits, but it's not his thing.

I'm betting you read aloud all that Roald Dahl already, right?

How about Sideways Stories from Wayside School? Very funny and very silly. If he likes it, maybe it'll lead to him reading Holes and Small Steps.

Also, how about the Chet Gecko books? Animal books, mystery, but also very funny - the humor is very punny.

Has he read anything by Andrew Clements? Maybe try A Week in the Woods? All his books are pretty straightforward, happy, if not funny, easy to read but not junky, about regular kids in school.

Getting back to funny, about about The Hoeboken Chicken Emergency by Daniel Pinkwater? Pinkwater's stuff is beyond Roald Dahl weird and zany, but very fun.

Going in another direction, building off Warriors and Catwings instead... how about The Guardians of Gahoole? Animals, fantasy, adventure, etc. Or Gregor the Overlander? A bit more serious, but still with animals, fantasy and adventure.

Oh, and one more in this vein. The Travels of Thelonious by Susan Schade. It's half graphic novel, half traditional novel (the chapters alternate). Animals, fantasy, adventure - about a strange post-human world. My ds really loved this one.

One more thought - I see that a lot of the big recent megahits (Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, etc.) haven't paid off for him, but how about The Mysterious Benedict Society? No animals, not that funny, but the mystery and the puzzles might appeal? That one is more a guess though.

While doing a WWE4 lesson my daughter (11) said she'd be interested in reading the Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander. She loved it, devoured all 5 books that week, and was almost in tears when she finished the last book & realized it was over. I know what you mean about helping your child find good books. When she was younger she got hooked on series like Cam Jansen & Magic Tree House so that made it easy. I like that WWE exposes kids to lots of literature :) Good luck!

She also liked the Poppy series & read them all, altho she liked these much much more.

Based on what you listed he liked (very similar to our DSs at that age!) he might enjoy:

REAL LIFE ADVENTURE

- The Toothpaste Millionaire (Merrill)

- Henry Huggins (series) (McCleary)

- From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (Konigsburg)

- Frindle (Clements)

- The Cay (Taylor)

FANTASY or MAGIC ADVENTURE

- Peter and the Starcatchers (and sequels) (Barry)

- Chronicles of Narnia (Lewis)

- Half Magic; Magic by the Lake; Knight's Castle; Time Garden; Seven Day Magic (Eager)

- The Secret of Platform 13 (Ibbotson)

- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Fleming)

- The Never Ending Story (Ende)

- Inkheart (and others by Funke)

- Dragon Spell (and sequels in the Dragon Keepers Chronicles series) (Paul)

- Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet (Cameron)

- The Enchanted Forest Chronicles: Dealing with Dragons / Searching for Dragons / Calling on Dragons / Talking to Dragons (Wrede)

- Sea of Trolls (Farmer)

HUMOROUS or TALL TALE ADVENTURE

- Pippi Longstockings; Pippi in the South Seas (Astrid)

- The Whipping Boy (Fleischman)

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman)

- The Great Brain (Fitzgerald)

- The Mysterious Benedict Society (and sequels) (Stewart)

ADVENTURE in OTHER TIMES

- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken)

- The Great Wheel (Lawson)

- The Kite Fighters (Park)

- The Roman mysteries (Lawrence)

- The Samurai mysteries (Hoobler)

ANIMAL ADVENTURE (real)

- Rascal (North)

- Shiloh (Naylor)

- Owls in the Family (Mowat)

- The Incredible Journey (Burnford)

- My Side of the Mountain (and others in the series) (George)

- Big Red (Kjelgaard)

- Gentle Ben (and others by Morey)

ANIMAL ADVENTURE (talking)

- Rikki Tikki Tavi (Kipling)

- Trumpet of the Swan (White)

- The Mouse and the Motorcycle (McCleary)

- Ben and I; Mr. Revere and Me (Lawson)

- The Rescuers, Miss Bianca, Miss Bianca in the Orient, The Prisoner, The Turret, Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines (Sharpe)

- Basil of Baker Street (and sequels) (Titus)

- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (O'Brien)

- Time Cat; The Town Cat and Other Tales; Dream of Jade: The Emperor's Cat (Alexander)

- Varjak Paw; The Outlaw Varjak Paw (SF Said)

Edited by Lori D.

Your son sounds like mine!!

My son adored Hatchet--really, really loved it. There's also a sequel called River. He also loved Sign of the Beaver. He also doesn't like fantasy....

How about The Incredible Journey? Oh, and my son loved Where the Red Fern Grows--read it twice. Highly recommended. He also can't get enough of Trickiest Stories by Paul Jennings. We'll likely purchase his Spookiest Stories next.

He enjoyed The Cricket in Times Square, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, and Bud Not Buddy (loved), Toothpaste Millionaire and Whpping Boy.

One suggestion is to require your son to read two chapters of a book he's "sure he'll hate". I do this with my son, and 9 times out of 10, he decides he "loves" the book and keeps reading. Even old books with bad covers ;)

Edited by Halcyon