Menu

Looking for dog breed recommendations

Our little dog is slowing down (she's 12 now) and we were starting to think about what type of dog to look for in the future (hopefully not for a year or two, at least).

Our outdoor environment:

We live on several acres, so space is not a problem.

Most is fenced in.

We raise sheep, goats, chickens, rabbits, and turkeys. We aren't a large scale operation, just producing for our own use.

We have a pond.

We have very definite seasons: cold, snowy winters and hot, humid summers.

Our indoor environment:

plenty of space, carpeting, air conditioning

Our lifestyle:

5 children ages 4-8

I'm home all day.

Dog will definitely be a huge part of the family.

I prefer a dog that will bark a couple of times when someone approaches, but not yap incessantly.

I like doing a quick brushing a few times per week, but no huge time commitments on a dog's hair care.

Prefer easy to train, intelligent, friendly, but somewhat wary of strangers unless we give the ok that it's fine to relax.

We enjoy throwing the old tennis ball for a game of fetch. (Our current dog does not grasp the concept. She runs and gets the toy, but then thinks it's time for us to chase her to get the ball back.)

I've only had smaller breed dogs, but am not intimidated by larger ones.

If you are still reading, what type of dog do you think would be a good fit for us?

Edited by Sheep Lady Mama
I can't type today!

It sounds like you want a German Shepherd-except for their hair, though. We call them German Shedders around here. They are so smart and so loyal and very in tune to their owners. They love to swim and play, are very protective of kids. They will bark, but not incessantly. You need to make sure that they are OFA certified so that they don't have hip problems. We just lost ours Sunday. We had him for 11 years, and he was the absolute best dog we've ever had.

I do have one suggestion, no matter what dog you get, to wait until your current dog dies before getting a new one, because in our experience it really hurts the dog when you replace him and it is hard for an old dog to deal with having a puppy around because they can be pretty annoying for an older dog that hurts, etc.

Another great breed, in my opinion, is a standard poodle. They are great family dogs, very affectionate, and love to swim, hunt, play, etc. The only problem might be that you would have to get them groomed about every three months.

We have a mutt. Her name is Boots. She was allegedly miniature dachshund and something - but she totally isn't! I'd guess some type of terrier mized with something else. Not a clue what (nor does the kennel or the vet have a clue - she's hysterical looking). She's little-ish - about 14 pounds. Smart as a whip, funny, snuggly, terribly disobedient (ok, that's my fault). I'd recommend a mutt. :)

Thanks for your thoughts. We are definitely not bringing another dog in while there is still breath in our little fur-baby's body. She is an only dog kind of a dog. And spoiled rotton to boot.

I have no problem getting a mutt (my dogs have always been mixes) I just have a hard time knowing what kind of mixes to look for. I don't want anything that will go after the children (of course) or the chickens. I don't want a working herding dog that will stress the sheep out.

We were blessed with our little maltese-yorkie mix (aka the porky morkie) in that she has no interest in chasing chickens or sheep. She likes to hang out with the goats for some reason, but she's so small that she knows to stay out of the way.

Still listening to opinions/thoughts...

Our flat coat retriever fits ALL the items on your "wish list". (But perhaps we are biased. ;)) There are a number of breeds who would do well:

- Goldren Retriever / mix of Retriever and other

- Shepherd/Lab mix

- Labradoodle

- Golden Doodle

- Collie (more hair brushing than you may want)

- Bernese Mountain Dog

And check out the retrieving breeds here.

BEST of luck in finding your 4-footed family member! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Another vote for a German Shepherd. They fit your requirements to a T except for the brushing, which you'd probably have to do every other day (if not every day). But I'd recommend short-haired, not rough-coat.

I'll just say that GSDs are particularly brilliant with children and are noted by the AKC to be an excellent family pet. If we ever get another dog a GSD will be very high, if not top, of our list.

I've thought about getting another dog, though not sure what kind. I like dogs. the ones I've considered (I only like smart dogs - and lean toward big. dh only like's OTHER people's dogs):

- I loved my German shepards. I used the vacuum in the spring during brushing. came out in chunks. she loved it. She was the best dog. a belgian malinois are very similar, but slightly smaller. (police are starting to us it as it can fit places a GS is too big for.) couldn't play fetch with a tennis ball for squat.

-lab's/retreiver - more a water dog than a hearder. really good with kids.

neither bark much. (great for playing fetch with.)

the small dog that may suck me in - ds's girlfriend breed's klee kais (a fairly new breed), and they are growing on me. they range in appearance from american husky, siberian husky, and samoyed - very similar personality (apparently without the drive to run), all in a much smaller package.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/index.htm I found to be a good source of information, including ratings for trainability/intelligence/etc.

updated to add: My shepard was exceptionally patient with children, even very young ones. The only thing she had no tolerance for was pulling her tail. she would grab their hand and stare them in the eye until they let go, then she would let go. she NEVER broke their skin. she did get her revenge on being the "patient" one day by chewing up the dr kit that night. she'd lay there while they climbed on her, until she was tired of it when she'd just get up and walk away. (if they tried to "ride" her, she'd sit down.)

Edited by gardenmom5

We have a Goldendoodle - half standard poodle and half golden retriever. He is fantastic! Soft, fluffy, very eager to please. Loves all attention. Not yippy, but barks when there is something to bark at- people, not squirrels. His growl, which we hear only occasionally, is quite threatening.

The only downside is the coat - three times a week brushing would do it, but also a clip at least twice a year - definitely before summer's heat.

The Labradoodle will have shorter fur.

Our Goldendoodle is BIG, he is "only" 95 pounds, but his head can rest on a kitchen table without stretching - a very poodle-y build. Some breeders do have smaller ones, bred with miniature poodles.

I love Labs, too. But they shed LIKE CRAZY. Our old lab would let DD 1 crawl all over her. She would just lie there, thump, thumping as her tail wagged against the floor. Of course, she was old and arthritic then.

One other thing, we are hoping that since poodles have an average life span that is longer (15 years) than a retriever's (9-12), that our dog will live longer. Our lab barely made her 9th birthday before succumbing to cancer and had arthritis beginning at age 5.

I'm trying to attach a photo of him with DD and their agility instructor.

Sandra

post-13739-13535085672432_thumb.jpg

My Brittany Spaniel fits your list of needs and wants. She is an awesome dog. I love her. I didn't really want her to be an inside dog, but she really likes being where the people are. She loves the outside and needs the exercise, but when everyone comes in she wants in too.

Her litter mate sister is in need of a good home....I don't have the room...wish I knew someone who would take her.

I love my soft coated wheaten. She is non- shedding but I do get her hair cut short every 2 months or so. She is loyal, fun, energetic but will also snuggle ( she is currently snoring on my feet) and is great with kids. She is very intelligent but definintely needed some training.

She is medium sized and goes outside but sleeps inside and is inside if we are here.

I'd say Lab or Border Collie. And since you have a farm, I bet you could give the Border Collie a "job". Ours is happiest when she is going going going.

I've seen several recommend Border Collie...my friend has one that has bitten several people--friends--that came to visit. She nips the children's heels/bottoms like they are cows!

Anyone else have this issue.

Our lab/rotweiler mix is exactly what you describe. He was a shelter dog but after some initial training and an adjustment period, he is the sweetest family dog. A real lovey with the family, he lets the kids climb all over him, barks loudly once or twice when unfamiliar cars drive up, is comfortingly intimidating to strangers but relaxes when we tell him they are ok, and keeps the coyotes away from our flock of chickens. :) Bonus, the rottie coat is super low maintenance, with a quick brushing he is all silky smooth and shiny. Super great dog!

Good luck on your search. :)

Edited by jar7709