Menu

What do I do if I send someone curricuculum and never get paid??

If there's already a link that addresses this, please just point me in that direction.

About three weeks ago I mailed two books several weeks ago to someone on the For Sale Board and PMed her giving my address to send the check and telling her the final total with the shipping costs.

I never heard from her.

I PMed her two more times in the past two weeks, asking if she received it and giving her the total and my address. Nothing.

What do I do now?? Am I just stuck?

Also ... who typically "goes first" on a sale? What I mean is, should I have asked her to pay me first, and THEN I mail it out? If that's the case, then what's to keep me (or anybody) from just pocketing the money and never mailing the stuff?

Thanks

Jenny

You should have waited for the money first (unless you felt you "knew/recognized" her well enough).

Unfortunately, you might have gotten screwed.

Darn. Well, now I know.

But I still don't understand why it couldn't just as easily worked the other way. If I waited til she paid me, I could have just as easily screwed her over. Am I missing something?

OP

I haven't had to deal with PayPal and don't particularly trust it, but if I paid someone and did not receive the goods, I would file a complaint through PayPal. I don't know if it would do me any good, but it seems that PayPal benefits the payer over the seller.

Yes, definitely wait until you get paid before sending anything out.

That totally stinks, and if it's someone who's been on the boards for any length of time at all, I bet you can continue to keep on top of it and eventually get paid.

Darn. Well, now I know.

But I still don't understand why it couldn't just as easily worked the other way. If I waited til she paid me, I could have just as easily screwed her over. Am I missing something?

OP

That's why so many people use paypal. If I pay you with paypal and you don't send, then I could get my money back from paypal. That said, there *have* been people cheated here on both sides. Honestly, that's why some people only deal with posters with lots of posts.

Darn. Well, now I know.

OP

Yup. She's the one that wants your books so let her assume that risk.

I only use PP for all transactions online, and I use my CC through them for added protection. I know as a buyer I will get my stuff or the money, and as a seller I get my money and it has cleared before I mail. Checks can bounce for several weeks after you cash them, so it is a gamble to accept a cheek. Money orders can be faked, so that is a problem too. It is a shame there are so many dishonest people, but it is the world we live in.

I never send anything out without receiving payment first. I prefer paypal but in rare instances I will take a check (and I wait until it clears before sending the iterm).

Also, don't forget that if the person never pays you, please leave negative feedback under her username so others are warned.

About three weeks ago I mailed two books several weeks ago to someone on the For Sale Board and PMed her giving my address to send the check and telling her the final total with the shipping costs.

I never heard from her.

I PMed her two more times in the past two weeks, asking if she received it and giving her the total and my address. Nothing.

What do I do now?? Am I just stuck?

Also ... who typically "goes first" on a sale? What I mean is, should I have asked her to pay me first, and THEN I mail it out? If that's the case, then what's to keep me (or anybody) from just pocketing the money and never mailing the stuff?

Thanks

Jenny

Umm, you sent her the item you were selling *before* she paid you? generally, the buyer pays the seller, and after the check clears (checks can bounce), you send your merchandise. If it was on the WTM boards, report her as a non-paying buyer, but you are probably out the money.

I"m sorry there are people that are unscrupulous.

Please leave negative feedback! That is the only way of protecting others from having things like this happen. Thankfully the only time I had a problem, seller took my money never sent the product, Paypal sided with me and I was able to get my money back. But it turns out at least 1 person before me had the same problem and didn't leave feedback...and at least 4 other after me had the same thing happen. Accurate feedback is very important!

Thanks

Jenny

I never mail something out until I have payment and it is cleared. There is risk on both sides if you think about it. Some people might pocket that money and not send the books. And others might do what has possibly happened to you, and taken the book without paying for it. Sorry, but when I'm selling something, I am going to watch out for me.

I sure hope you didn't get taken. I can't imagine what you could do about it though. It bites. :(

Just curious -- was the person a "regular" here, or did she only have a few posts?

I don't know if it's OK to just post her username here, but there is a possibility that she's a reputable person who had some sort of major emergency. I know it's a longshot, but I'm trying to think of all of the reasons why she may not have been in contact with you yet.

Perhaps you could start a new thread, entitled something along the lines of: "Trying to reach XXX." If you don't want to potentially embarrass anyone, just say you've been trying to reach her via email and PM, and are worried because she hasn't responded. You don't have to mention the book transaction if you'd prefer to keep it private -- she will know what you mean if she sees the thread, and more importantly, perhaps another member here will know her and let you know if there's a reason why you haven't heard from her.

I'm sorry to hear that this is happening. It is an awful feeling when you trust someone and that person betrays your trust. :grouphug: