Menu

Books in TOG

TheAutumnOak

I just went over to the Bookshelf Central site to get an idea of how much next year's books for TOG would cost (we will be doing year 2)...The books for lower grammar and my oldest (upper grammar or dialectic, not sure yet) came to about $1400! :svengo:...How does everyone do it?...I am seriously considering only getting the books for my oldest...Does anyone do TOG with a dialectic or upper grammar student and a lower grammar and NOT buy the lower grammar books?...Does anyone not buy all of the books for any grade level?...Do you just eliminate some books?...I can't see spending $1400, I was trying to get my entire school year budget to around $1500...I am still buying the books to complete this year :blush:...Am I missing something?

ALL the books?!? Eek gads that would be difficult. The great thing about TOG is the ability to pick and choose from what is given. I wouldn't buy anything until you have a year plan to look at first. :) From there I page through and mark what I own and what my library carries, then go back and look through the weeks one by one and decide what I what to use for each week and for each level and make a list of what I plan to purchase. I buy the primary literature and history books for D since that is where the questions come from. I have the primary history resources for UG and I don't buy anything for LG, I stick with what my library has since history is gravy at that level. LG is also the easiest level to substitute in another book that my library might have available, or to just pick up and read a chapter from SOTW.

We will be starting TOG soon (possibly in January) for 1st grade so I have been working through what we will need to purchase. I searched our online library catalog to see which books from Y1 lower grammar were in our library system and made a list of the ones which are not. Those are the ones I will order and it comes to about $150. I will put together a spreadsheet showing when I need to order each one from the library so (hopefully) I will be able to get it when we need it.

That's my plan. Hopefully it will work out for us.

I got the TOG list for Year 4 from the website, and was able to find almost everything at the library. I will only buy the main history spine and 5 or 6 of the books. Many of the fiction will probably not be reread, and many of nonfic books are just supplementary.

I only buy used books, too. Well, almost only. :D

I did this last year when trying to figure out costs for Y3. That nearly made me completely rethink my decision to use TOG.

Used, Used, Used. I bought a lot of my books used from a precious gal on the yahoo groups. I have also gotten about 30 books off of paperback swap for year 3 alone. It has taken a long time, but it was worth it. If I have to choose between the levels, I pick for the higher level. Most things I can substitute from the library for my LG. Although they don't have as may TOG titles as I would like.

The other big expense for TOG this year was the year plan. I'm hoping once I have all of those, my TOG sticker shock will wear off. I have a ways to go though.;)

:grouphug:

The advise you've gotten is spot on. Use alternate selections for lower grammar, especially from the library. Buy used, paperback swap, etc. IMHO, the dialectic and R level books are a must-have. Your student will be answering thinking and accountability questions. Although you could probably substitute alternate resources, it is most time efficient for your student and you to have the books TOG recommends.

We love TOG here.

Thanks for the advice so far...I talked with my husband and we decided to just put priority on my oldest son's books, buying what we can used and buying the rest new, but using the TOG recommended books...I am not going to buy the LG books unless it is a title I just want to have, like "Chanticleer and the Fox"...I don't feel it is necessary to put such an emphasis on history for first and second grade anyway...They will have two other rotations and can listen in on some of my older son's books...I will also check the library for LG books...

I feel better now :001_smile:

Thanks for the advice so far...I talked with my husband and we decided to just put priority on my oldest son's books, buying what we can used and buying the rest new, but using the TOG recommended books...I am not going to buy the LG books unless it is a title I just want to have, like "Chanticleer and the Fox"...I don't feel it is necessary to put such an emphasis on history for first and second grade anyway...They will have two other rotations and can listen in on some of my older son's books...I will also check the library for LG books...

Sounds like you have a great plan!

We do tons of substituting for LG and it has worked out beautifully so far.

Did you price all three levels or just LG and one or the other of UG and D?

Either way you have a good plan. Practically what I do is put the list of books I'm looking for in my pocketbook, car, or, my case, cellphone so that when I happen by a used book store or sale or whatever, I've got it with ISBNs and everything. The must buys in any given plan are books that are use a lot.

You can do the same with library books. In both D and UG I substitute literature selections pretty freely especially when it comes to things like easier versions of classics. But even the history books can usually be substituted pretty freely.

You can also look up the older books that have gone out of print using the alternatives chart and substitute some of those in as well. Last year my Rhetoric level books cost me under $400 by using a combination of used and then best price off the net AND that includes two hugely expensive books.

Hi Tahara - I used TOG 1 for our son's First Grade curriculum. Our small town library system didn't have any of the books I wanted so I got some on inter-library loan. Once we read them, I saw how substitutions would work perfectly well. I had been a stickler for wanting the exact title Marsha called for. I'm so glad I didn't spend all that money for books that would have been put away and never read again. I don't think ds remembers the books themselves, just the ideas. And not even all the ideas at that. Now that he is older, (5th grade) I want to keep most of the books we are reading. They will be appreciated for a long time.

I recommend looking up the Baldwin Project http://www.mainlesson.com for some online books which would work for LG and they are free to read from your computer.

Rhonda in PA

We have a pretty good library system, and I've gotten many of the books from the library. Another thing you might try is to request books for purchase at your library. I did this for all the books that our library didn't carry, and they've actually bought some of them.

I almost exclusively used books for the ones I've purchased. I have kids in all 4 levels, and there's no other way I could do it.

Just popping in to tell you how we have been using TOG2. :)

MANY selections from Unit 1 are available free online. So far I have NOT purchased one book. I am shopping from my own homeschooling room, subbing internet sites, using videos, audios, etc. I have not used the library either as I owe late fees and do not have the money to yet repay them. :)

So for YR2 week 1: Twilight if the Western Empire

We focused on Barbarians. We found the "Barbarians" series on YouTube and watched as many as the found interesting. If I recall correctly, they watched The Huns, The Goths, The Vandals, and The Saxons or Angles.

We found a movie on YouTube (think available on Netflix) with Gerard Butler as "Attila the Hun".

Read SOTW chaps 1-3.

Famous Men of the Middle Ages (free online) 5 chaps.

Trial and Truimph (free on google books) 1 chap

Used encyclopedia Usborne Internet linked World History and reviewed fall of Rome.

http://www.storynory.com Started listening to King Arthur Stories and 1001 Arabian nights. I believe their are 5 selections of audio for each. (There is also Robin Hood for a couple weeks from now).

We watched songs on YouTube from Schoolhouse Rock. One on nouns and verbs. Discussed and reviewed parts of speech and writing process.

For LG, I found a King Arthur book online that we read. The story was about the sword in the stone.

Found free flashcards for TOG that reviewed landforms.

Make salt dough map of pretend country.

St Valentine. Storynory had a story. We also watched YouTube video about his life. Also watched Brainpop video about chocolate.

Watched YouTube videos about horses. They were discussed a lot by kids as they were used by the Huns.

We had fake wrestling matches in which kids had to choose their army. Hilarious to listen to dd4 scream she is a Visigoth as she runs in for a tackle. :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

Did illustrations, copywork, and narrarions from various readings and videos.

Worked on memorizing current day countries of Europe using app on my droid phone.

Researched volcanos. Little ones watched Volcano Sisters Backyardagains on Netflix.

Studied Roman numerals from free worksheet online.

Studied 7 continents and oceans using http://www.sheppardsoftware.com (free) Also watched videos on Brainpop and Brainpop jr.

Did writing assignments in which they got to be various people. For instance, a letter back to camp to his wives from Attila.

This is off the top of my head. :lol:

I read teacher notes, listened to PopQuiz, and just let it unfold. :D

Just popping in to tell you how we have been using TOG2. :)

MANY selections from Unit 1 are available free online. So far I have NOT purchased one book. I am shopping from my own homeschooling room, subbing internet sites, using videos, audios, etc. I have not used the library either as I owe late fees and do not have the money to yet repay them. :)

So for YR2 week 1: Twilight if the Western Empire

We focused on Barbarians. We found the "Barbarians" series on YouTube and watched as many as the found interesting. If I recall correctly, they watched The Huns, The Goths, The Vandals, and The Saxons or Angles.

We found a movie on YouTube (think available on Netflix) with Gerard Butler as "Attila the Hun".

Read SOTW chaps 1-3.

Famous Men of the Middle Ages (free online) 5 chaps.

Trial and Truimph (free on google books) 1 chap

Used encyclopedia Usborne Internet linked World History and reviewed fall of Rome.

www.storynory.com Started listening to King Arthur Stories and 1001 Arabian nights. I believe their are 5 selections of audio for each. (There is also Robin Hood for a couple weeks from now).

We watched songs on YouTube from Schoolhouse Rock. One on nouns and verbs. Discussed and reviewed parts of speech and writing process.

For LG, I found a King Arthur book online that we read. The story was about the sword in the stone.

Found free flashcards for TOG that reviewed landforms.

Make salt dough map of pretend country.

St Valentine. Storynory had a story. We also watched YouTube video about his life. Also watched Brainpop video about chocolate.

Watched YouTube videos about horses. They were discussed a lot by kids as they were used by the Huns.

We had fake wrestling matches in which kids had to choose their army. Hilarious to listen to dd4 scream she is a Visigoth as she runs in for a tackle. :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

Did illustrations, copywork, and narrarions from various readings and videos.

Worked on memorizing current day countries of Europe using app on my droid phone.

Researched volcanos. Little ones watched Volcano Sisters Backyardagains on Netflix.

Studied Roman numerals from free worksheet online.

Studied 7 continents and oceans using www.sheppardsoftware.com (free) Also watched videos on Brainpop and Brainpop jr.

Did writing assignments in which they got to be various people. For instance, a letter back to camp to his wives from Attila.

This is off the top of my head. :lol:

I read teacher notes, listened to PopQuiz, and just let it unfold. :D

Thanks so much for all of this info!...And the Hive knows how much I love Gerard Butler :)

Another thing you might try is to request books for purchase at your library. I did this for all the books that our library didn't carry, and they've actually bought some of them.

I second this suggestion. My library has purchased 20+ books that I have requested for purchase so far! It's definitely worth looking into.

AngelBee- Are those links just books you may read online but not download? It looks like most of them are not free, so just wondering how you got them!?

thanks.

All can be read online. Some can be downloaded but you have to find the right place. :) they are all public domain except Trial and Triumph.

• 7 months later...

For most of the books we borrow or buy used. (I have bought a handful of books new for each year because I could not find them used or in a library.)

We also used the free on-line books on the Baldwin Project:

http://www.mainlesson.com/

If you are looking for audio books, many of the one you find on the Baldwin Project are available in audio here for free:

http://librivox.org/

Here's another site that has free audio books of many of the titles used in TOG (This is the unblocked list of books. To access all the ones they have, one would need to subscribe.):

http://www.myaudioschool.com/?page_id=4571

The Tapestry of Grace forum on their main website has a sale board:

http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/forum/forum.php

The Yahoo group you are looking for is the Tapestry of Grace Loose Threads group.

They used to have separate groups for each year, but are eliminating those and merging them into the Loose Threads group.

You will also see TOG for sale on the boards here.

Just to let you rest even easier. My sister uses TOG and many of the dialectic books were books scheduled in Biblioplan for grammar stage (I think upper grammar) or family read alouds, so you might get more mileage than you think out of many of them...

This is one of the reasons I have not done TOG. I almost feel you have to be willing to use the library. I am not there, but I will probably get there one day! :lol: