Menu

Names: What do you think about twins with Biblical names where...

Names: What do you think about twins with Biblical names where... one name is the parent and the other the son.... (Eve and Seth) or....any other where they are kinda similar... How about if the names are derivatives??

:bigear:

It would take a while before Eve and Seth registered as a connection with me. I think Adam & Eve would be weird. Abraham and Sarah, Rebecca and Isaac. So husband and wife match-ups would be weird.

Jacob & Esau would be weird.

Rachel and Leah would be weird.

but Peter and Paul would be cute. :001_smile:

Matthew and Mark would be cute.

If one's name is Sarah, is it odd to call your child Isaac?

This is what came to mind after reading last night's Bible story to our son.

And then I realized I have a friend named Sarah who DID name their son Isaac.

As for twins -- given its taken me over 3 months to get the connection, I don't think its a weird thing.

I was told not to use husband/wife names even for siblings that are not twins (So I have a Ruth so I should not use Boaz)

If I had boy-boy twins I've often thought I'd call them Joshua and Caleb

Girl-girl twins would be Ruth and Esther (well, not anymore obviously)

Boy-girl twins would have whatever names we had decided on for our boy and girl (So Ruth and Daniel this time)

If our twins had both been boys, they would have been David & Jonathan (Dave and Jonny!).

I'm descended from twins (well, from one of them anyway) in the early 1800's whose names were Jonathan David and David Jonathan.

I gave my twins the middle names Romulus and Remus so I'm definitely not the right one to ask about appropriateness and the right meaning.:D

It would take a while before Eve and Seth registered as a connection with me. I think Adam & Eve would be weird. Abraham and Sarah, Rebecca and Isaac. So husband and wife match-ups would be weird.

Jacob & Esau would be weird.

Rachel and Leah would be weird.

but Peter and Paul would be cute. :001_smile:

Matthew and Mark would be cute.

:iagree:

If one's name is Sarah, is it odd to call your child Isaac?

This is what came to mind after reading last night's Bible story to our son.

And then I realized I have a friend named Sarah who DID name their son Isaac.

As for twins -- given its taken me over 3 months to get the connection, I don't think its a weird thing.

I was told not to use husband/wife names even for siblings that are not twins (So I have a Ruth so I should not use Boaz)

If I had boy-boy twins I've often thought I'd call them Joshua and Caleb

Girl-girl twins would be Ruth and Esther (well, not anymore obviously)

Boy-girl twins would have whatever names we had decided on for our boy and girl (So Ruth and Daniel this time)

I don't think it's odd. Mother and son names aren't really said together as a pair in the Bible or in real life. Maybe it is odd and I don't get it. That's possible. :D It has never occurred to me that as a Rebecca I couldn't name a son Jacob or even Isaac. Those names were never on my radar though and I don't know if I'd think differently about it if they were.

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking about Biblical twin names lately. Some I've thought of recently:

Joshua and John

Daniel and David

Matthew and Caleb

Sarah and Seth

Isaac and Isaiah

Rachel and Rebekah

I've really thought combining a Biblical name with a family name for each would be nice.

I used to want twin girls named Mary Ruth and Martha Rose.

Twin boys would either be Joshua and Caleb or Joshua and Jacob.

My youngest son is Jonathan David. It's the name God gave me when He promised him to me two years before he was born.

I don't think I would have really noticed Eve and Seth. Of course I'm of the opinion you name your baby what you want.

My friend has twins named Eden and Zion - beginning and end. LOVE it!

My own twins (identical) have also expressed to me that they appreciate not having matching names.

I think the Biblical parent / child connection would only be a problem if it were a "noticably" Biblical name, kwim? Sarah and Isaac are both fairly common names to begin with, in American culture at least. Eve and Abel would attract more attention, and sooner, I'm guessing.

I'm descended from twins (well, from one of them anyway) in the early 1800's whose names were Jonathan David and David Jonathan.

I gave my twins the middle names Romulus and Remus so I'm definitely not the right one to ask about appropriateness and the right meaning.:D

Oh that's CUTE! ;)