Menu

If you have/had an older/bright/bored K'er...

kwickimom

Dont really know what to call my K'er, I dont think he is uber bright or gifted, he just loves schoolwork and so he is ahead of where I planned he'd be. He will be 6 in Feb. and he LOVES to do school. He will write and do worksheets/word finds/copywork all day long. I am torn whether to add more and challenge him or just add more busywork because he likes it :)

We do:

HOP/OPG/ETC

MM1 and games

Elemental History and Science

copywork

tons of computer games and reading

nature study

He still wants more. We have been through every workbook you can think of. He has a phenomenal memory and he does seem to grasp and understand things. We read the Burgess books, Aesops fables and the Family Time Bible and he can usually answer questions about the stories and do a decent narration. He isn't excelling in Math, he still doesn't grasp addition very well. What would you add?

Should I work harder/longer on Math or I have FLL1 and WWE1 that I could start. I dont really know how much I should push. Should I just plunge ahead and stop or back off if need be or do what we are doing and just add more games and workbooks until next year or maybe jan?

WWYD???

Just looking for advice/ideas/feedback. Thanks! :)

I would be inclined to make sure he is feeling some challenge. If you think his language arts work is too easy, I don't think it would hurt to try the FFL and WWE. If it's too hard, you'll know. Just start slowly. As for math, maybe he's not ready for MM1 yet. I'd be tempted to do something more manipulative-based, like Miquon or RS, for a while, and then go back to MM later (at that point, you might be able to either go faster or skip ahead, depending on what he has learned elsewhere).

I would focus on reading. If he is reading at a 3rd grade level or above you can add in another language. Once my boys are reading at this level we start Greek.

The other thing I have done is have them do independent projects that they want to research. They have to come up with the question. I help them get books from the library. I look on homeschoolshare.com if there is a free lapbook or note booking pages. After they have read and researched their question they create some kind of project with the information. Many times these don't get completed as they are completely optional and self directed. But sometimes they do and it is amazing what my boys have learned.

I really don't think you need to add more to his school day. Just help me learn how to learn on his own. Lots of library trips and lots of time exploring books and playing with the world around us.

I have a kid like that. He is now my 1st/2nd grader. His birthday is in January and I think that makes a bit of a difference as well.

I switched over to MEP for math. He eats it up. We are halfway through first grade now. I also pulled in FLL and WWE. He has had no problem with it. I found some appropriate 'logic' books and he really has fun with them. He was tickled pink to have a 'logic' book like his older brother.

Last year he did SOTW 1 while older brother did ancient history. I had him do all the narrations, mapwork and activities. This year he is doing SOTW 2 and keeping right up.

Mine just turned 6 last week. I don't require more *time* from him, I just require him to work at a (slightly) challenging level. My goal is to challenge him in each of the 3r's so he doesn't get used to coasting. I don't necessarily want to add busywork or hours to his day, just keep him on his toes. We have fun with history and science, we are learning Spanish, and we do a lot of reading. Beyond that, I just let him choose how to spend his time. It may be doing a workbook or writing a song or playing tractors. I try to make things available that feed his current interests. He can spend as much or as little time on these things as he wants.

I am not necessarily adding *more* work, I am just continuing to make it more challenging. He will be 6 next month and he's working fairly far ahead in the majority of his work. For math, we are using Singapore and he is part of the way through 2A, although, it's still mostly just review for him at the moment.

Our focus last year was learning to read, since that was where his interest lies, and now that he's reading fairly well (not sure of the level since the levels vary so much...but he's reading books like Nate the Great with the occasional word help here and there), we have moved on to focusing on writing and grammar.

I still keep our time frame appropriate for his age. Even though he is capable of doing higher level material, it doesn't mean he has the stamina to work longer days.

We added other subjects, Spanish, art, logic, piano etc. I also had DD working on things that were more of a challenge for her. She did WWE1 and did fine, so I'd try that. We weren't fans of FLL, although I did like the poetry memorization and picture study, so we did some of that on our own.

I think if you keep giving him more of the same he's likely to get bored. I'd try to challenge him more - not to the point of frustration, but enough to stretch him.

If your son is reading well, then I would definitely start FLL1 soon if you plan to use it. FLL1 is easy for a K-er who is already on top of their reading and math, and can add a bit of extra into the day. It will be too easy to the point of boredom by the time you hit Gr. 1, so I would just plan on FLL2 for Gr. 1 already.

(You could also skip FLL1 and go straight to FLL2 in Gr. 1.)

I have mixed feelings about starting WWE early. On the one hand, the sentence structure would have been easily understood by my daughter at 5yo; it's almost too easy for her this year. On the other hand, at 5yo she found that much handwriting too much in one sitting. On the whole I'm glad I held off on WWE until she was in Gr. 1 and could physically handle more writing.

Miquon Math could be a fun way of expanding your math time. It really clicked with my K-er last year, who was similarly school-hungry. It's entirely possible that, given his age, he's just not ready to do addition; however, it's also possible that he needs it presented in a different way.

Five in a Row is another wonderful way of spending more intentional reading and learning time together.

When I had a ker like that I made sure she read at her level (which was an advanced 2nd grader/early 3rd grader) by the end of the year.

I started her on her 1st grade L.A. before the end of the year. I kept her in 1st grade math the whole year, like you are doing even though it was easy for her. (so she is one year ahead in her math each year)

I didn't add more to her plate, but I did give her lots of things like crafts and magic trick books and things like that to keep her busy and exploring on top of her regular work.

I had one of those. My current first grader finished kindy level skills at 3. I added FLL and WWE style writing in her kindy year, but not both on the same day. Then SSL was added in (I tried stretching it out as much as I could, or she would have eaten it for breakfast). Then R&S spelling. She finished the VP first grade literature she hadn't read the year before, and started on the second grade list. I kept one of those jumbo first grade workbooks from Costco for her, for days she wanted more than I'd put in the planner. Comprehensive Curriculum, I think they're called.

Now she doesn't have any first grade books left to do in first grade; they're all 2nd-3rd+ grade books. She's still speeding ahead and generally adores every bit of it. :001_smile:

We do:

HOP/OPG/ETC

MM1 and games

Elemental History and Science

copywork

tons of computer games and reading

nature study

He still wants more. We have been through every workbook you can think of. He has a phenomenal memory and he does seem to grasp and understand things. We read the Burgess books, Aesops fables and the Family Time Bible and he can usually answer questions about the stories and do a decent narration. He isn't excelling in Math, he still doesn't grasp addition very well. What would you add?

Should I work harder/longer on Math or I have FLL1 and WWE1 that I could start. I dont really know how much I should push. Should I just plunge ahead and stop or back off if need be or do what we are doing and just add more games and workbooks until next year or maybe jan?

WWYD???

Just looking for advice/ideas/feedback. Thanks! :)

I had an eager beaver like that last year (a girl) who also turned six in February. :D Here is what we did for Kindergarten:

Math

• Horizons Math K

• Kumon Easy Telling Time

• Kumon Easy Money (something like that)

• Kumon Simple Addition

• Kumon Simple Subtraction

• School Zone Transition Math

• School Zone Time, Money & Fractions

• School Zone Story Problems

• Math Games & Puzzles

• Math Fact Drill (computer)

• Sara Jordan's Math Fact Songs (she LOVES these)

• Hands-On Standards math lab activities (1/week)--this taught me how to put our manipulatives to good use

English

• Handwriting: Zaner-Bloser Manuscript K

• Copywork: Homemade copybooks made with StartWrite

• Spelling: Homemade spelling lists (cat, mat, sat) made with StartWrite

• Phonics: OPG (Lessons 101-220)

• Guided Reading Practice: series like Frog & Toad, Little Bear, Poppleton, Henry & Mudge, Mr. Putter & Tabby, Jonathan James, Bible story series, and a poetry anthology

• Literature: Classic fairy tales, Beatrix Potter, Thornton Burgess, Aesop's fables, Just So Stories, Brer Rabbit/Uncle Remus stories

• Chapter Book Read Alouds: Charlotte's Web, Wind in the Willows, Misty of Chincoteague, Heidi, The Jungle Book

• Audiobooks: a TON of audiobooks, nearly every night at bedtime, for about an hour, all year (unabridged chapter books)

• Narration: two narrations/week from science, Bible, a picture, or a story

• Poetry Memory Work: she memorized over 24 poems in her K year (Snow Song, The Months, Whole Duty of Children, Winter Time, The Wind, Seasons, The Daffodils [whole], Hurt No Living Thing, Trees [sara Coleridge], City Mouse, The Swing, Dancing, Bed in Summer, Ducks' Ditty, At the Sea-side, My Shadow, Thirty Days, Autumn, Autumn Trees, Who Has Seen the Wind?, Windy Nights, Thanksgiving, A Cradle Song, and C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S)

• Grammar: First Language Lessons, only the grammar (if you pm me, I can send you a list of just the grammar lessons for FLL 1)

For a child like your son, I would focus on these three top areas:

1. Read Alouds & Audiobooks -- Read aloud and listen to many quality, unabridged chapter books that are above his reading level, in order to fill his mind and heart with stories, words, and poetry.

2. Conversation, Narration, Memorization & Recitation -- I think that teachers often overlook the powerful tool of simply "talking intelligently with children." Focus yourself on your son, ignore all distractions, and have a conversation about something. :D Narration and poetry memory work/recitation also contribute to advanced verbal skills in these types of bright children.

3. Guided Read Aloud with Fluency Practice -- Snuggle up and let him read aloud to you, something like Frog and Toad. Listen to his expression. If he can sound out words, but reads "robotically" or with awkward phrasing, practice reading the same passage to build fluency. So, first, he reads. Next, you read the book aloud to him, using your most expressive voice, :D smoothing out the choppy phrases, stopping for punctuation, and so on. Then, give the book back to him and let him practice reading it the way you did. IME, it's best to begin fluency practice with a page or phrase at a time, then build up to practicing a whole easy reader book. Most children LOVE this, because they love imitating how good readers read. They LOVE hearing expressive voices, and they love knowing how to read aloud WELL.

HTH.

Edited to add: We have been doing WWE 1 this year, but I wish we had started it halfway through Kindergarten. It is too easy for her now in First Grade. HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama

Thank you for all the ideas!

I will definitely work on math manipulatives since this is his weaker area and add in stuff like money and time while he catches up with the addition. He is memorizing the addition facts because he wants to, but he doesn't "get it."

I am also going to go ahead and double up on his phonics and work on fluency. He can read pretty well, but does read like a robot :)

He will write all day long and his letter formation is pretty good, we are working on a few trouble letters. I think I will just continue with a sentence of copywork.

I think I am going to go ahead and try FLL and see what happens and I may try another look at AAS (bought and sold it last year)

He does want to play guitar, but I have been unable to locate a teacher anywhere near here.

He also LOVES to color and draw, so maybe I will look into a structured art program for him. I have never thought about that before, this would take up a lot of his time and let him be creative without adding anymore "work"

If he wants to memorize the facts but doesn't "get it" as you say---then I would say a program like Miquon would be great for him to start. Using the Cuisinaire rods would help him get it.

You could also look into Primary Analogies for him---seems like you have a kid good at the memorizing so a logic type program might pose a good challenge.

I have an eager learner, too, so I am enjoying reading through this thread. My little one is barely 4 though, so I am stuck somewhere between giving him what he wants and doing too much. I don't want to end up with him being beyond his age-level academically but not physically ready to write as much as would be required from a higher-level curriculum. We do lots of read-alouds and play/exploration-based stuff when I can, but he really likes structured "school." He has gotten to the point where every time I sit down at my desk (I work a full-time job from home) he throws a spectacular tantrum because he wants me to work on school activities with him. :crying: Anyway, we are doing FIAR, OPGTR w/ETC, Right Start A, and Lollipop Logic, with a sprinkling of other things. He LOVES Lollipop Logic. Have you looked into that? It makes great "busy work," if your little one is looking for something fun but challenging and you need something easy to pass his way when he wants to work.

Mine plays the guitar and is beyond what I can teach him now, but I have not yet found the time to find an instructor who will take one so little. I'm hoping soon I'll be able to get him regular lessons. He really digs his guitar! It is something that definitely keeps my guy occupied for awhile, though the racket of his playing doesn't help me get any work done...:tongue_smilie:

You mentioned a structured art program...I have had my eyes on Artistic Pursuits for awhile now, it looks pretty nice.

I highly recommend Rightstart if you are wanting to work on mental math skills. My DD just turned 5 and has always been an eager learner. She reads at a 5th grade level and excels with English skills. However, she is not as naturally gifted with Math. She does well with Math and conceptually understands, but does not have facts down and had difficulty with number bonds before recently. I have found Rightstart to be excellent for her. Just the other day someone commented that she was "really good at Math" as she was adding "3 more" to double digit numbers in order to skip count. I have seen drastic improvements with her since she has started it. Before, she had difficulty with Singapore, now she's doing her Singapore workbook just for fun. We also add in Evan-moor Geography for fun (when she wants to) and Science unity studies. I think a musical instrument such as piano might be good for him and might give him a little challenge. All these are just suggestions. HTH