Menu

Wild story on CNN about animals in Ohio let loose

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/19/us/ohio-animals-on-loose/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Wow, I'd be tripping out.

Intro to story:

Flashing signs on the highways in eastern Ohio warned motorists Wednesday: Exotic animals on the loose. Call 911.

Schools shuttered and some frightened residents said they were keeping to their homes as sheriff's deputies hunted lions, tigers, leopards and grizzly bears that escaped from a preserve after the death of the owner.

We heard this story on the news. Both my DH and I looked at each other and laughed. Only in America would they call out the police to shoot the animals. Anywhere else in the world a vet would be called to tranquilize the animals.

I agree. I thought it was really strange that they were all being killed. Why not tranquilize them?

I agree. I thought it was really strange that they were all being killed. Why not tranquilize them?

According to the local news, a veterinarian got within 10 - 12 yards of a 300 pound tiger and shot it with a tranquilizer. Apparently the tiger went crazy and started running away from the vet/police. Because it was running in the direction of neighborhoods they felt their only option was to kill it. I don't know about the other animals (except for a lion that was hit and killed by a car in the interstate...can you imagine???).

I'm thinking that because these animals were caged and used to humans they're considered extra dangerous and officials don't want to take any chances. Tranquilizers aren't a surefire method anyway.

I'd be fine with them being killed if it were around here.

We heard this story on the news. Both my DH and I looked at each other and laughed. Only in America would they call out the police to shoot the animals. Anywhere else in the world a vet would be called to tranquilize the animals.

See the "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!" thread.