Menu

Is this the Reformed Church discussed here often? (link)

I'm trying to find out what exactly "the Reformed Church" is, so I did a google search and came up with https://www.rca.org/beliefs, which I've been reading. At the bottom of that page is a link to their positions on various topics https://www.rca.org/Page.aspx?pid=491, and I'm wondering how strictly does each Reformed Church adhere to these details? Is this entire rca.org website an accurate description of what you (collective you) mean by "reformed"?

Also, does this mean that "Reformed Church" is not the same as when the Reformation swept Europe centuries ago? I imagined an exact replica of the way the churches were directly after the influence of the Reformation.

Another question: I'm assuming this means that "the Reformed Church" isn't a collective name for a group of denominations? Or is it? If so, does "Orthodox" fall under "Reformed Church"? I always thought people here were referring to them interchangeably. :confused:

Another question: I'm assuming this means that "the Reformed Church" isn't a collective name for a group of denominations? Or is it? If so, does "Orthodox" fall under "Reformed Church"? I always thought people here were referring to them interchangeably. :confused:

If by Orthodox you mean Orthodox Christian, then definitely not. I cannot answer your other questions, but I hope someone does. :D

I'm trying to find out what exactly "the Reformed Church" is, so I did a google search and came up with https://www.rca.org/beliefs, which I've been reading. At the bottom of that page is a link to their positions on various topics https://www.rca.org/Page.aspx?pid=491, and I'm wondering how strictly does each Reformed Church adhere to these details? Is this entire rca.org website an accurate description of what you (collective you) mean by "reformed"?

Probably it's the same one.

Most Reformed churches are pretty scrupulous about the details.

Reformed Baptist churches agree with all the Reformed doctrine, except they do not baptize infants.

Also, does this mean that "Reformed Church" is not the same as when the Reformation swept Europe centuries ago? I imagined an exact replica of the way the churches were directly after the influence of the Reformation.

No, it isn't the same.

The Orthodox Church is definitely NOT a Reformed church (although--hold on to your hat--there may be a Reformed Orthodox church :blink: , but if there were, I would expect it to be a Protestant-esque church and not a liturgical, Catholic-Orthodox-esque church). Generally, when people say Orthodox (or Eastern Orthodox) they're referring to a church which is very similar to the Catholic Church (which is in itself a whole other thread!).

Are you totally confused now? :lol:

I never heard of anything except Methodist, Southern Baptist, or Catholic Church when I was growing up, so don't feel bad if you're confused...you're in good company...

If by Orthodox you mean Orthodox Christian, then definitely not. I cannot answer your other questions, but I hope someone does. :D

Yes, I mean all of these questions within Christianity.

Yes, Ellie, I am thoroughly confused, and accutely aware of my ignorance. I want to learn what all of these various denominations believe. I guess I'm trying to find out what I am, or where I fit. Apparently I don't even know proper terminology! Oh boy. This is going to be a long road.

Yes, Ellie, I am thoroughly confused, and accutely aware of my ignorance. I want to learn what all of these various denominations believe. I guess I'm trying to find out what I am, or where I fit. Apparently I don't even know proper terminology! Oh boy. This is going to be a long road.

Leo Rosten's Religions of America might be a good place to start. It isn't perfect, but it does give an overview of the basic groups and their doctrines.

If you are interested in the Orthodox Church, I know there is a good Social Group on here devoted to it. I am Roman Catholic. We have a rather inactive Social Group, but you are welcome to PM me for more information, if you are interested.

I feel your pain.

Ok, here's the thing: Catholic and Orthodox are similar (we don't need to go into details, k? :D).

Everything else is different. Many Catholics just say Catholic and non-Catholic. Keeps it simple. :-)

Of the non-Catholics, there are two main camps: Calvinism and Arminianism. Both agree on things like the need for salvation, the Trinity, the virgin birth, the diety of Christ. They differ on a truckload of other things, from doctrine to church government to whether or not women can speak in church. :blink:

There are upwards of 30,000 different non-Catholic groups. :blink:

I have gone back to the Church which can trace its beginings to the original 12 Apostles, the men who walked with Jesus daily for three years and whom He instructed personally. The Catholic Church's doctrine has remained unchanged for 2000 years. Some *practices* have changed, but the doctrine has not.

You might check it out. :)

Often, people used "reformed" as synonymous with Calvinist. There are reformed Baptists, Presbyterians, etc. There are also specific denominations that have the word "Reformed" in them. Now, you may often hear reformed or Calvinistic Christians talk about things being orthodox or unorthodox. They are usually using that saying a teaching is in line with historical orthodoxy of the Christian Church. Something considered heretical would be unorthodox. This is not to be confused with Greek Orthodox or Eastern Orthodox or Russian Orthodox Christianity. Those are branches of Christianity much like Protestant or Catholic. And yes, Reformed is taken from the Protestant Reformation.

Edited by tntgoodwin

If you are interested in the Orthodox Church, I know there is a good Social Group on here devoted to it. I am Roman Catholic. We have a rather inactive Social Group, but you are welcome to PM me for more information, if you are interested.

The Catholic group is getting more active though. Justamouse is on a roll! :D The EO group is really wonderful.

Arcticmom, I know there are several Reformed ladies on the boards, but I'm drawing a blank on their names. I'm sure they'll see this thread and will be happy to answer your questions. :)

;)

You might see the word "orthodox" in a description of a Reformed belief system (and other protestant belief systems), but note that it's small "o" orthodox, not Orthodox/Orthodoxy/Eastern Orthodox. With small-o usage it typically means, "Our beliefs are according to the Bible and only the Bible." There is a problem with this, which I won't go into now, but I have often seen the word "orthodox" used this way. Agreeing with others, the Orthodox church is definitely not reformed. It would go against all that we believe and are to be RE-formed. We think God formed His Church right the first time. ;)

The RCA is a denomination within the reformed community. I am reformed and belong to the URC denomination but there are many, many others. I read through the Basics from your first link and would say that about sums it up. :001_smile: I did not read through any of the position papers so I can't comment on those but my gut tells me that not all reformed persons would agree with all statements in those papers, hence the many ,many different denominations. ;)

There are some classic creeds and confessions that sum up high points of Reformed Christianity which you can find from your first link. Our church holds to the first three...The Canons of Dordt, The Heidelberg Catechism, and The Belgic Confession. I've not heard of the fourth one. The Orthodox Presbyterians (another reformed denomination) hold to the Westminster Confession of Faith and the Shorter Catechism... which our family is using as opposed to the Heidelberg because someone did such a lovely job setting it to music and that makes my job so much easier. :D

The Catholic group is getting more active though. Justamouse is on a roll! :D The EO group is really wonderful.

Arcticmom, I know there are several Reformed ladies on the boards, but I'm drawing a blank on their names. I'm sure they'll see this thread and will be happy to answer your questions. :)

Not to derail, but is this group open to questions from one looking into Catholicism? :blush: ... And sorry; back to topic.

It's a term that many denominations fall under. However, there are those that use the term Reformed, that used to be, but are no longer (admitted by they themselves) and use the term only due to their history. Others don't always have Reformed in their name, but are. Then there are the Reformed Baptists...debates on whether they can be Reformed and Baptist at the same time has been a jesting duel much like the Catholics and Orthodox jesting with each other over who really left who in the Great Schism :)

I'm not familiar with the RCA, but I am familiar with the PRC (both), PCA, OPC, RPCNA, URCNA, FPC, CREC, SGM, and I'm sure I missed one in there somewhere. You have the various Covenanter groups also: PRC, the Steelites, the Pottstown sect (not sure what to call them), and recent splits.

There are quite a few Reformed ladies here. However, I'm afraid I've left the Borg and the Dark Side for more historical pastures ;) so I'll leave you to them with any questions.

Edited by mommaduck

;)

You might see the word "orthodox" in a description of a Reformed belief system (and other protestant belief systems), but note that it's small "o" orthodox, not Orthodox/Orthodoxy/Eastern Orthodox. With small-o usage it typically means, "Our beliefs are according to the Bible and only the Bible." There is a problem with this, which I won't go into now, but I have often seen the word "orthodox" used this way. Agreeing with others, the Orthodox church is definitely not reformed. It would go against all that we believe and are to be RE-formed. We think God formed His Church right the first time. ;)

Yes, there is a OPC (Orthodox Presbyterian Church), but they are very Presbyterian, not Orthodox in the sense of Eastern Orthodoxy.

Just a slight shift on this: the "little - o" often can mean that the group sticks closely to the doctrines of the denomination. So you can have orthodox Lutheran (really really Lutheran), orthodox Catholic (really really Catholic), and orthodox Reformed (really really Reformed). To add to the confusion, one of the denominations that is reformed is called the Orthodox Presbyterian Church. :0)

:lol: GMTA!

Not to derail, but is this group open to questions from one looking into Catholicism? :blush: ... And sorry; back to topic.

It's called Catholic Homeschooling, and I think the original idea was that it would be about curricula and other homeschooling related things, but other topics are discussed. I'd PM the moderator and tell her you'd like to join. I, for one, would love to have you! :)

You might see the word "orthodox" in a description of a Reformed belief system (and other protestant belief systems), but note that it's small "o" orthodox,

The Orthodox Presbyterians (another reformed denomination) ...

Uh, it's small-o orthodox except when they put it in the name of a church, LOL. Then you'll see upper case O that still not Eastern Orthodox. :D

My son had to write a paper for school: "Describe the view of justification taught by orthodox Lutheran, orthodox Reformed, orthodox Anglican and orthodox Roman Catholic doctrine. State your opinion in the final paragraph."

He wrote his paper, and in the final paragraph said, "The Orthodox Church teaches..." That gave him SUCH a grin.

(We are Eastern Orthodox or just plain bigO Orthodox...)

I have to know: were there any teacher comments on that paper???

Sure. We would love to have you there. :001_smile:

It's called Catholic Homeschooling, and I think the original idea was that it would be about curricula and other homeschooling related things, but other topics are discussed. I'd PM the moderator and tell her you'd like to join. I, for one, would love to have you! :)
Last derailment, but thank you! :001_smile:

Oh, and back on topic ... this thread is very interesting. I used to work with a couple women who were Reformed Christians and I had no idea what that meant. At the time, we (dh and I) just went to a local non-denominational church; I didn't realize at the time there were so many denominations.

At least in our area, Reformed Church IS a denomination. Very closely related is the Christian Reformed Church which is another denomination.

They are both Calvanistic in their beliefs, have infant baptism.

West Michigan is a huge center for the RCA and Christian Reformed Church (in fact first one was started in my area). Most towns have 3-4 churches of each denomination, sometimes even more than that.

We just started going to a Reformed church after being SBC all my life. I'm still learning about it all, but I think it sums it up pretty well. Our church does not believe in infant baptism and we don't answer to any denomination. I guess we are non-denominational. We do hold to many of Calvin's views about scripture. I wish I could help more, but like I said I'm still learning. Voddie Baucham, R.C. Sproul, John McArthur and James White are all helping me. :tongue_smilie:

I am wondering if the original poster was asking about the Orthodox Presbyterian Church??

:iagree: with all the others who said that when we say we are reformed, we can be of different denominations. I am reformed at have mostly been in various Presbyterian denominations, but have friends who were reformed Baptists. I haven't lived in a part of the country where Reformed churches were prevalent so I don't know much about them. I can agree with their basic statement of faith but don't know about all their opinions on social issues. Three were too many of them for a quick read.

We just started going to a Reformed church after being SBC all my life. I'm still learning about it all, but I think it sums it up pretty well. Our church does not believe in infant baptism and we don't answer to any denomination. I guess we are non-denominational. We do hold to many of Calvin's views about scripture. I wish I could help more, but like I said I'm still learning. Voddie Baucham, R.C. Sproul, John McArthur and James White are all helping me. :tongue_smilie:

The SBC has becomed more Reformed as of late. Al Mohler is the President of Southern Baptist Theologial Seminary, and he is a big Reformed guy.

Also, I suggest checking into John Piper, he is another reformed Baptist. :)

Okay, well that gives me a start. I knew that Orthodox churches are much like Catholic in many ways, including that they aren't protestant. (Or do I have that wrong, too?) I guess I just didn't know what all this "reformed" business was about. Thanks for the clarification about all the nomenclature - Orthodox vs. orthodox, reformed this-or-that vs. The Reformed Church as a denomination.

What's difficult is that many, many denominations hold to the same basic doctrines - the Nicene Creed, Apostle's Creed, etc. Then there is the "finer print" doctrine that set them apart a little more. There' probably some further defining piece I'm missing that goes right here. And finally, there is that individual church or denomination's position on contemporary issues.

As I've posted before, during my childhood (through about jr. high) I was raised in an Independent Fundamental Baptist church. That isn't Dh & I now. I've been attending a non-denominational church for my adulthood, and the recent thread about issues for believers in "seeker-sensitive" churches applies to me as well. That thread resonated w/ me & put words to a struggle in me that's been brewing for some time.

I know what I believe about some of the larger issues, but it's the small details that I'm not sure on. So, in my search for proper teaching for my family from another church, dh & I are faced with having to decide if we agree or not with any given church on those smaller details. The only thing I know to do is ask that church questions: why do they believe xyz, what in the Bible or church history supports it, etc. Any suggestions for additional/other ways to figure this out are welcome. I do indeed feel thoroughly dumbfounded, and yes, that "The More You Know" slogan does apply here. :tongue_smilie:

Would it be completely bad form for me to post what I believe to ask if there's a name for it? I'm not sure if there's risk to doing so publicly.

Edited by Annabel Lee

I am thoroughly confused, and accutely aware of my ignorance. I want to learn what all of these various denominations believe. I guess I'm trying to find out what I am, or where I fit. Apparently I don't even know proper terminology! Oh boy. This is going to be a long road.

May I suggest a study in Church history? This would help you to know how things got started and where they went to where they are now. Personally, I have gone the other route to find where the Church (capitol "C") is and unite myself with her, though some of the beliefs and practices I found in her have been different from what I was comfortable with at first. Though now I find I'm home.

A good resource for Church history (all branches & unbiased I have heard) is The Story of Christianity by David Bentley Hart.

Reformed Baptist churches agree with all the Reformed doctrine, except they do not baptize infants.

Well, no, not exactly. It's true that the 1689 London Baptist Confession (Reformed Baptist) is very similar to the Westminster Confession (Presby). However, there are many Reformed Baptists (or at least "Calvinistic" Baptists) who don't follow the 1689 LBC at all.

Reformed Baptists may differ on many things. Probably the one thing they all have in common is the Doctrines of Grace. :) For example, John MacArthur agrees with the Doctrines of Grace on salvation, but is Dispensational in his eschatology. The 1689 LBC does not state the Reformed Baptist position as being Dispensational.

James White is a 1689'er, though. I think Voddie Baucham is too?

Would it be completely bad form for me to post what I believe to ask if there's a name for it? I'm not sure if there's risk to doing so publicly.

Nope, not bad form at all. As a matter of fact someone has already done so today with his beliefs.

Oh, neither the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church are Protestant churches. You were correct in that.

:seeya: I'm one of those reformed ladies spoken of. :D We left a big mega non-denominational church 2 years ago when we grew tired of the topical "all about me" self-help sermons and the seeker mentality. We began to grow in our study of theology and doctrine and it led us to reformed. We now attend a Baptist church that is loosely associated with the SBC but decidedly reformed. One of the hallmarks you will find is solid expository preaching. Our church uses the 1853 New Hampshire Baptist Confession of Faith. We have Core beliefs that are foundational and Characteristic beliefs that are how we conduct ourselves, and then Charity beliefs where we can freely agree to disagree. There's lots and lots of grace in there too!

We do hold to many of Calvin's views about scripture. I wish I could help more, but like I said I'm still learning. Voddie Baucham, R.C. Sproul, John McArthur and James White are all helping me. :tongue_smilie:
:iagree:I also like Tim Challies, and Alistair Begg, and JI Packer, and Charles Spurgeon.

The SBC has becomed more Reformed as of late. Al Mohler is the President of Southern Baptist Theologial Seminary, and he is a big Reformed guy.

Also, I suggest checking into John Piper, he is another reformed Baptist. :)

:iagree:

:seeya: I'm one of those reformed ladies spoken of. :D We left a big mega non-denominational church 2 years ago when we grew tired of the topical "all about me" self-help sermons and the seeker mentality. We began to grow in our study of theology and doctrine and it led us to reformed. We now attend a Baptist church that is loosely associated with the SBC but decidedly reformed. One of the hallmarks you will find is solid expository preaching. Our church uses the 1853 New Hampshire Baptist Confession of Faith. We have Core beliefs that are foundational and Characteristic beliefs that are how we conduct ourselves, and then Charity beliefs where we can freely agree to disagree. There's lots and lots of grace in there too!

Very similar experience here. Though our church is 1689, I'll have to read the 1853 one of these days just to see what the differences are. :)

Topical preaching drives me batty. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:I also like Tim Challies, and Alistair Begg, and JI Packer, and Charles Spurgeon.
Sounds like we run in the same circles. :D

Personally, I have gone the other route to find where the Church (capitol "C") is and unite myself with her, though some of the beliefs and practices I found in her have been different from what I was comfortable with at first. Though now I find I'm home.

A good resource for Church history (all branches & unbiased I have heard) is The Story of Christianity by David Bentley Hart.

Jennifer, if you don't mind sharing, what exactly do you mean by "the other route"? I've got a vague guess but would love to hear what it is. Feel free to PM me if you prefer, or to decline the question if too personal.

Jennifer, if you don't mind sharing, what exactly do you mean by "the other route"? I've got a vague guess but would love to hear what it is. Feel free to PM me if you prefer, or to decline the question if too personal.

What I mean is, for the beginning of my Christian journey I went through many denominations/non-denominations trying to find a good fit for what I was comfortable with, and what seemed right to me based on my readings in the Bible and my own feelings of what seemed most Christian. Many things were considered in my mind, such as music style, preaching/teaching style & methods, whether it was Spirit led, what version/translation of the Bible was used. The "other route" which I began to embark upon in December of last year was to look into the history of the church. I learned about the timeline, where the church went from the Apostles to the Church Councils, where things like the Creed and the Scriptures were discussed and decided upon, to the Church splits (why it split and what was the result of the various splits, aka schisms), to where we are today with the vast amount of denominations and non-denominations in the spectrum of Christianity. As I embarked upon this route it became clear to me where the Church (capitol "C") was. I have since, with my family, been taking classes to learn what this Church teaches, believes, and practices. It's been shocking and disturbing at times, because it is very different from what I had in my mind as the authentic early church. This is not the church I would have chosen based on the above referenced things to consider in choosing a church. The practices and beliefs are very different from my Protestant Christian experience. So, what I mean, in summary, is that I have set down the idea of finding the right church in my own image and to my own liking, and I believe I have found the One Holy Apostolic Church and I am conforming my own beliefs and practices to line up with her, so that I may be one with her as Christ prayed before he went to the cross, "That they all may be one; as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that you have sent me." St. John Ch. 17:21.

I don't mind discussing this openly. It is a perspective that I am grateful to have come into, and I hope others will consider it as well. I am also open to PMing, so if you want to discuss more privately, please PM me. :D

Also, if you want to know more about the One Holy Apostolic Church that I mentioned above, you are welcome to ask questions on the very active social group, Exploring Orthodox Christianity. The members of this group are very kind, open, patient, and helpful. They have answered myriads of my questions with love and peace. :)

Edited by JenniferB

Jennifer, the way I read & mistakenly understood your earlier response was that one could study church history, but that you took a different route than that. So, the clarification helps.

I feel like I'm at the very beginning of something similar to your description of your experience with your current Church. I've "tried on" enough different things over the years but now I want it all to mean something greater than my preference, or man-made tradition without true Scriptural basis just for the sake of tradition, or "Spirit led" but bordering on being extra-Biblical w/o a clear explanation, or so legalistic that it's extra-Biblical man-made rules complete w/ plenty of man-made judgement, etc. I too, wouldn't guess that my journey would end up outside the Protestant church. I've never studied theology deeply or church history at all, though, so never say never.