Menu

Vacation Rentals By Owner Website- Anyone Use This

We have just booked tickets to Hawaii in Jan. and now I need to find a place to stay. I have been looking at what is available at VRBO but have never used them before. Does anyone have experience renting through them? Any tips for questions we need to make sure we ask before agreeing to rent? Are there things I need to be aware of? Any way to protect ourselves from being scammed?

Thanks!

I have used Vrbo as both a renter & to rent out my family's lake house. We've never had a bad experience. Lately i've been using home away instead because they offer deposit insurance which saves us from sending off a big check & having to wait to get our money back. I paid $39 for a house we rented in July instead of sending a $1500 deposit.

We used VRBO.com to rent a place on Oahu that was fabulous! We had a great experience. We have a place booked on Maui, through VRBO.com, for December.

Each owner handles things a little differently. You need to make sure if cleaning fees are included or extra. Also, deposit guidelines vary. I looked at the reviews on VRBO and then searched the same place on tripadvisor.com until I felt comfortable with a place.

ETA: a couple of the things we verified...if any extras are included (beach chairs, coolers, snorkel equipment), cleaning fees (some places always charge, some waive if you stay more than 5 days, etc.), cancellation policy, view (important for us to know what to expect)

Edited by mom2l&j

I love VRBO.com. I used it 4 years ago for a cabin in the Smoky Mountains. No problems at all and got my deposit back. I used it again this year for a cabin in the Smoky Mountains. We leave next Monday. So far so good. Love that website. I like it that you deal directly with the owners and talk to them. On this cabin, after I put my request for information into the website, the owner called me an hour later and we talked for about 30 minutes. He was very very nice. He worked with me about payment since I have only one credit card with a very small limit. He let me pay it off in 3 payments versus two equal payments. You still sign a rental agreement that outlines everything. It gets sent thru email. I also think the website offers vacation insurance thru a different company but I could be wrong.

Thank you everyone for the replies. It sounds like VRBO is the real thing. I hadn't even heard of it before I happened to stumble across it last week when I was trying to plan our holiday. I am so glad to hear that so many of you have used it with success..... it sounds like we can use VRBO with confidence.

Thanks!

Just a quick question..... has anyone ever rented a place that doesn't have reviews? There are a couple of places that don't have reviews that really interest me, but my husband says no way! Just wondering if anyone has done it or if that is a sure way to get burned. Does VRBO have any type of controls in place to make sure that the places listed are at least real and listed by real people?

Thanks!

We have used it, but not on the Big Island.

Trip Advisor is really helpful for getting advice on specific areas of the Island you are looking to rent.

Two things we learned while looking for a condo on Maui:

"short walk to the beach" might mean across the busiest highway on the Island. ( very true on Maui) Also that beach is public and there will be no beach chairs.

"Cool Island breezes at night" might mean no A/C.

Just a quick question..... has anyone ever rented a place that doesn't have reviews? There are a couple of places that don't have reviews that really interest me, but my husband says no way! Just wondering if anyone has done it or if that is a sure way to get burned. Does VRBO have any type of controls in place to make sure that the places listed are at least real and listed by real people?

Thanks!

Yes, we did. I called the owner and spoke with him directly and then felt comfortable renting it. He has now opted to post reviews on his property.