Menu

sadlier won't sell homeschoolers the Teacher's Editions

cin

I placed an order last night. This morning I had this email:

Order Date: 06-Oct-11 09:26 PM

Web Site Order #: 6649XX

Sadlier Account Number: Not Specified

Please note: you are ordering an Annotated Teacher's Guide or Answer Key. This product can only be shipped to a home address if the order and check is accompanied by the ordering person's Teaching Certificate, or if we already have the certificate on file. When ordering with a credit card, you may fax the Teaching Certificate to (212) 312-6080. Please be sure to include your order number on the fax.

cindy garman

Billing Info

cindy last name

address

milford, OH 45150

United States

phone number

Email: cin131 at cinci dot rr dot com

978-0-8215-8002-8

Vocabulary Workshop, Grades 2-5 ©2011 / Vocabulary Workshop ©2011 Level Purple SE

1 @ $10.40 = $10.40

978-0-8215-8022-6

Vocabulary Workshop, Grades 2-5 ©2011 / Vocabulary Workshop ©2011 Level Purple TE

1 @ $24.00 = $24.00

978-0-8215-8025-7

Vocabulary Workshop, Grades 2-5 ©2011 / Vocabulary Workshop ©2011 Level Blue TE

1 @ $26.48 = $26.48

Sub : $60.88

Shipping : $7.31

Tax: Applicable sales tax will be added.

Total before sales tax: $68.19

Payment Information

Payment Type Credit Card

Card Number Card Ending In ABCD

Card Type Visa

Expiration Date 3-2013

Not what I would call Homeschool Friendly. BTW, I had to specify on my order that I homeschooled. So they know that.

Right. Because there are so many 2nd graders trying to cheat on vocabulary quizzes by online ordering the teacher's editions with their credit cards.:glare:

My thoughts exactly. My 2nd grader has her own credit card. :rolleyes:

I have an email composed, I just haven't sent it yet. I probably need to calm it down a bit. It just pi$$ed me off that I specified somewhere during the order that I was a homeschooler. Why didn't it stop me then? grrrrr I guess I'm just in a 'mood' tonight.

Edited by cin

That is disappointing. I actually like their material but if they are going to be difficult, well, there are other choices out there. I hate that when we get shut out of a certain curriculum because we homeschool. You would think companies wouldn't care since that means they are making a sale.

Edited by QuirkyKapers

That's annoying, but FWIW, I haven't found the need to have the TM. Also, there are on-line quizzes.

The TE, for right now, are just for expedited grading; each unit is 5 pages. But I don't want to start them in a series that I will have to change later on down the road because I don't have the time (or desire, for that matter!!) to learn all the words. So, for me, they are not just losing this sale. They are losing the next 10 years of vocabulary, and any other product that I might have been enticed into buying....

I wonder if I could give them the number for my teaching certificate that expired 15 years ago.....:D

:iagree: Yes, when I ordered, I just had to e-mail a copy of some sort of proof that I homeschool, and they sold me a TM.

it would be nice if they stated that. I signed up as a homeschooler, yet they specifically ask for a teaching certificate. How about 'proof of homeschooling'

This is good to know because I do not have any proof save my word that we homeschool. Texans do not need any. Well, I will also need to find an alternate.

Ask them if they will accept pictures of your school area or bookshelves ;)

That is disappointing. I actually like their material but if they are going to be difficult, well, there are other choices out there. I hate that when we get shut out of a certain curriculum because we homeschool. You would think companies wouldn't care since that means they are making a sale.

It has always been thus, since the 80s. Secular school textbook publishers have always refused to sell teacher editions to parents. I guess homeschoolers just aren't a big enough market, 'cuz turns out they aren't the only game in town.

I wouldn't bother e-mailing them about it.

I had a similar problem getting HWT in the UK. The only supplier would only sell to qualified occupational therapists or special ed teachers. Not even regular teachers.:001_huh: Finally I was able to get it from a supplier in R of Ireland which was closer anyway.

So weird. :001_huh: What do they think you're going to do with it?:confused:

That may be just their standard reply because they are mainly used to selling to schools.

I got an email like that from a different company, but when I emailed back and explained I hs they just asked for an attachment showing that I hs (paperwork I send to the district or similar), and it was fine.

• 2 months later...

Well, I have emailed Sadlier 3 times since then, and NEVER received a reply. Today I told them that I was sorry that, as a homeschooler, my money was no good to them. I was planning on ordering around $400 worth of materials. (If I had gotten 'permission' to spend my money with them, I was goign to order 2 of each vocabulary book PLUS a TE. A COMPLETE vocabulary program for my girls, through High School).

Seriously, how can a company survive with such service. I mean, not even the courtesy of a 'NO'.

Oh well, had to get that off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Oh, FTR, I did, in the first email, offer to send a copy of my letter from the district stating that I do homeschool. >sigh< I will only jump through so many hoops.