Menu

How many different marble runs do you own?

Four.

DS is really into marble runs. (Like he wants to build one similar to the one at the St Louis science museum. :001_huh:)

The Q-Ba-Maze is probably one of his favorites. They have a neat website, if you haven't looked at it already.

I am assuming that the pieces to this set vary in design right? Or are they all the same, but their functions differ based on placement? I haven't checked out their site...I guess I better do that.

An acquaintance (another homeschooler) gave us this one because she couldn't figure out how to put it together and didn't have the patience. It did take us several hours to put it together; five us us took turns doing parts of it. The littles still turn it on every so often. We haven't tried making our own design though.

An acquaintance (another homeschooler) gave us this one because she couldn't figure out how to put it together and didn't have the patience. It did take us several hours to put it together; five us us took turns doing parts of it. The littles still turn it on every so often. We haven't tried making our own design though.

that one looks WAY more difficult than I am willing to try....it actually scares me.

We own two. One is the Italian brand... can't remember the name, the other is a giant glow in the dark mega run.

My husband started it (you know when hubby doesn't want to share the kid toys :lol:), he did one small tallish section, abandoned it for two years maybe, and would let me disassemble it!!!

I had it on display in our livingroom and decided to think of it as a sculpture. :D

We have shares in about a dozen, thanks to a toy library membership. :D

But we don't own any outright. If they want such a thing, they can make it out of bibs and bobs like I did when I was a kid. "Proper" marble runs are cool, but not cool enough for long enough to justify $129!

Rosie

Three, here. My kiddo loves marble runs!

We have a wooden one from Hearthsong (this one is the best), a plastic one which may not survive the next toy purge (shhhhh), and the one joannq listed above - which is permanently set up - it was a gift, and one that we would not have purchased, fun for an evening, but too much trouble overall.

We like combining the wooden marble run with a giant domino run, and we have a lot of add-ons for both. Those 2 sets are in my Top 10 toy list. :)

The cube marble run looks like a lot of fun, too! Hmmmm... Now you have me thinking... How many can one family really use? :)

We have the one from Haba that's wooden. I like that you can keep getting pieces for it. We use it for building pitagora suichi/Rube Goldbergs sometimes. The kids could use it from the time they were very small. It's EXPENSIVE. But... it's certainly heirloom quality whereas I can't quite picture saving the Quarcetti or the Quadrilla, as cool as they are.

Three, here. My kiddo loves marble runs!

We have a wooden one from Hearthsong (this one is the best), a plastic one which may not survive the next toy purge (shhhhh), and the one joannq listed above - which is permanently set up - it was a gift, and one that we would not have purchased, fun for an evening, but too much trouble overall.

We like combining the wooden marble run with a giant domino run, and we have a lot of add-ons for both. Those 2 sets are in my Top 10 toy list. :)

The cube marble run looks like a lot of fun, too! Hmmmm... Now you have me thinking... How many can one family really use? :)

Any specific kind of dominos that you use for the domino run?

We own 3, one for each child. They liked them for a little while but now they just sit in the closet. That being said, the one you linked looks fun. Lots of interesting shapes to have the marbles run through. If you buy it, let us know how your dc likes it.

Denise

that one looks WAY more difficult than I am willing to try....it actually scares me.

The directions stated that it takes about 4-6 hours to put together (IIRC), which is what it took. They weren't the best directions as pieces needed to go exactly a certain way and that way was sometimes difficult to determine until you realized, on a later step, that it wouldn't work the way you did it. I had Chinese 12 year old boys, my 11 year old daughter, my 9 year old son, and me working on it. All of the kids needed help when they took their turn. But it was doable for someone who can problem solve well and has experience building with stuff like this (none of mine do).