Menu

Need help with what to wear to a wedding

This is an outdoor wedding, next weekend. Starts at 5pm, seated dinner inside afterward. Sunny 75° forecast.

Can I wear this black sundress (i already own this) with a dressy light pink cardigan and black sandals? If you tell me no I will have to buy something. :tongue_smilie: On the other hand, I know it is october, and I don't want to look inappropriately dressed. Too summery? Too casual?

Help dress this fashion dummy, please!

Edited by Amy in VA

I think it would be fine. We went to an outdoor evening wedding in June and I dressed by normal standards for an evening wedding. Dh and I were way overdressed. Dh was one of the only ones not in the wedding party that even had on a tie. I think your dress with a nice cardigan and shoes would be fine. If you have feet problems, I would not force your feet into different shoes that would make the entire evening miserable for you.

I am no fashionista. But I think the black dress with the pink cardigan would be fine. Dressier shoes would be preferable but not for the sake of your health. If you can't you can't. Wear the comfortable shoes. I've not heard of no black to a wedding. I thought black was very formal. I've heard of no white because the bride wears white. I was recently at a funeral. I dressed in all black and saw many, many people in all manner of regular street clothes and even one woman in head to toe ecru. :confused:

I LOVE that dress, btw.

I think it would be fine with a cardigan or wrap and some jewelry to add some color. I don't like the shoes, but that's mostly personal preference. If you need comfy shoes for the sake of your feet, you gotta do what you gotta do. ;)

Not wearing black to a wedding is one of those old rules that people don't really apply anymore.

What a great dress! I want one!

I think it'd be fine for an October wedding, especially if you add something like the cardigan you mentioned, or a pretty wrap, and possibly a bracelet.

Good point!! Jewelry would add the perfect touch.

ETA: Here's some advice on wearing black to a wedding.

Edited by silliness7

I am no fashionista. But I think the black dress with the pink cardigan would be fine. Dressier shoes would be preferable but not for the sake of your health. If you can't you can't. Wear the comfortable shoes. I've not heard of no black to a wedding. I thought black was very formal. I've heard of no white because the bride wears white. I was recently at a funeral. I dressed in all black and saw many, many people in all manner of regular street clothes and even one woman in head to toe ecru. :confused:

I LOVE that dress, btw.

The old rules that no one except me and Rivka follow anymore are not to wear all white or all black to a wedding. Not white or near white because you don't want to appear to compete with the singularity of the bride. No black because black is the color of mourning.

I would add that the VERY old rules also say that only the family wears black to a funeral. Everyone else wears dark clothes (but not black) with subdued makeup and minimal jewelry.

I work from home as a wedding coordinator so trust me...you will look fine in that dress and a cardigan or wrap. I see women in black and every other color. Some nice jewelry or bag and you will look great. The shoes might not be a bad choice since outdoor weddings are notorious for being unpredictable. High heels sink into lawns and grass and you can about break an ankle on gravel.

Enjoy the wedding.