Menu

Stomach bug remedies

My kids have the ickies this weekend. :001_huh: It got my husband and me talking about what our parents did for us when we were sick. His parents had them drink baking soda water. :ack2: My mom used to give us coke or coke icees. What did you grow up with?

Edited by blondeviolin

We got 7up, saltines, jello, and chicken noodle soup. I cannot drink 7up without remembering being sick :glare:

My mom only gave us Coke when we were puking - I think this is one reason I don't drink cola. :tongue_smilie:

I give my kids nothing but very small doses of gatorade and saltines till they haven't vomited in a few hours, then add more if they keep that down, then slowly add in the BRAT diet. Then no heavy food for the next few days. Chicken soup and yogurt at that point too.

I also banish the affected child to the sofa covered with towels, where they can lay down and watch videos to their heart's content. Then I wash all the towels in hot water/bleach when they're done.

This usually results in keeping the pukes down to a 24-hour thing and limiting it to only one kid. Knock wood.

My mom only gave us Coke when we were puking - I think this is one reason I don't drink cola. :tongue_smilie:

I give my kids nothing but very small doses of gatorade and saltines till they haven't vomited in a few hours, then add more if they keep that down, then slowly add in the BRAT diet. Then no heavy food for the next few days. Chicken soup and yogurt at that point too.

I also banish the affected child to the sofa covered with towels, where they can lay down and watch videos to their heart's content. Then I wash all the towels in hot water/bleach when they're done.

This usually results in keeping the pukes down to a 24-hour thing and limiting it to only one kid. Knock wood.

We do the banishing too. But our pukes have hit three kids so far (two yesterday, one today). Part of that, though, is that they are so young still that they definitely share any and all germs. (Ask me how many times we've had strep in the last year... :glare:)

We don't give them anything until they ask for it. And when they want drink, we do slow sips of coke. The coke syrup is proven to help nausea. I'm not sure coke the drink does as much...but at least it flavors the puke better than bile. :001_huh: