Menu

Gluten-free pizza

Right now I'm making pizza for dd (18) who was diagnosed with celiac disease 2 years ago. We use Bob's Red Mill pizza crust. While we do have a restaurant that sells gf pizza near by, she's had problems with it. A lot of places list gf items on menus but we've found there's a real problem with cross contamination.

We eat pizza here regularly.

I have a couple of recipes but honestly, we use The Gluten Free Pantry French Bread/Pizza Crust Mix the most. It makes a lot! I usually spread it over 2 pans and make different kinds of pizza. It's like a hand tossed that way. But I have made one large pan for a thicker crust. We just all prefer the thinner crust so I make two.

It reheats well too, and since it makes so much I am glad for that.

It's like a lot of sticky GF dough...the trick is to spray wax or parchment paper and use that to push the dough over the pan and not your hands directly. It comes off clean as well. :)

Our favorite is BBQ chicken pizza and was the chosen meal for Christmas/Birthday last year :lol:

Two things I've done that we enjoy -

I borrowed this idea from a local pizza place that makes a GF option (they contaminate quite often though):

Buy Food for Life brown rice tortillas. Where I live, I can find them in the frozen section at two different stores. Place 1 or 2 on a cookie sheet, spray or brush with oil, and bake until lightly brown. Remove from oven and add sauce and toppings and bake again. It's a tortilla so it's obviously thin and crispy but it's really good (and I was a deep dish lover before being diagnosed with celiac).

Another option we like is buying yummy bread from a (new) local gf bakery and just making individual pizzas on it. That's turned out good too.

We've made pizzas in the past with Pamela's bread mix, and it was okay. I just don't love mixing up dough and it wasn't so great that I do it often (can't remember the last time I did).

I'll have to try some of the other suggestions too. :) Thanks for asking!

I'm glad I asked, too! Thanks so much for the suggestions - I'll look into them. I think my biggest hurdle to trying this will be lunches. The boys are back in public school so I will need to pack stuff daily. Plus, somehow convince youngest son not to eat the school food. Lots of sharing goes on there! I would like to see if this helps him with focus and fogginess. Hard to tell what's just age and what might be more than that. So, we're gonna give it a try.

My daugters both have GI issues a LOT. I'm sharing books with them, but since they're on their own, I have little say so in their diet. Hope they'll consider it.

Edited by MaryCatherine

We have lots of other restrictions so don't eat any type of pizza now. There was a short time that we made pizza crust with Bob's Red Mill fava/chick pea flour with a recipe they had on the flour bag. It was amazing!

I could cry just thinking about that short period of time, lol!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Her's is the best we have found so far, followed by Bob's Red Mill Whole Grain GF Pizza Mix.

We have pizza usually once every couple weeks. Usually a Friday night treat.

triple ditto. I made all these *wonderful* recipes that were so good, none of them were. Finally I broke down and tried this crust mix and it is really, really good. I am not a mix gal but this is the best, it really tastes good!

I'm glad I asked, too! Thanks so much for the suggestions - I'll look into them. I think my biggest hurdle to trying this will be lunches.

I do a lot of bento style lunches for my guys... it's pretty much GF without even trying. I make a lot of sushi too.

We usually use Chebe mix. We've tried plain, onion, and the pizza crust mix with Italian seasonings added, and like them all very much. The package directions say to put the toppings right on the uncooked crust, but we've found that it works better to bake the crust first until it's just lightly golden.

Another one we like is Nature's Hilights, which comes frozen in a 2-pack (photo of the box here) and has no weird ingredients, just potato and brown rice. The texture is different from a regular pizza crust, but it's good in its own way if it's baked according to the directions. If you're not paying attention and you skip a step, it comes out kind of soggy and gummy. I've done this more times than I care to admit! But it always seems to get devoured anyway. :)

and I eat more pizza now than I did before I quit eating gluten. It's one of those now that I can't have it I want it type of things. I buy the Udi's pizza crusts and add my own toppings. My current fave is grilled chicken, olives, onions, marinated artichokes, and parmesan cheese. Yum!