Menu

How do you grade/correct work?

cam112198

I am specifically thinking for math and grammar (we use Saxon 5/4 and Rod and Staff for grammar)? I have the hardest time putting x's on her work! Crazy I know!

Do you put an x if it's wrong and have him/her correct it on their own? Do you go over it with them?

It's a silly question, but I was just wondering what your system was for correcting work?

Thanks!

I go over math with my son (DD self-checks with the solution manual).

We find any problems where he did not arrive at the correct answer, find what went wrong, discuss it if it is a conceptual mistake, and he reworks them. If possibly, we do it immediately after he has finished his math.

I do not give grades for daily work; I view daily problems as a learning tool and find it normal that mistakes happen when you learn- they just have to get fixed.

I check his math problems and then have him redo any that he missed. I enter points in the computer to track what we have done and give a grade for report cards. (He can get various freezes around town with a good report card.) Grades are more for effort unless it is a test, bit he only does those in biology.

If he misses multiple problems and fights over fixing them because he is being lazy, I lower his score and I tell him. It works for my son as motivation. When he sees a 9 out of 10-he gets upset enough to work harder the next day.

Math, grammar and spelling are checked - where DS makes a mistake (I let him make his mistakes), I do note it on the page and he fixes the mistake with me if needed, or on his own if it was just a simple error he made and he understands why it was made (going too quickly, not checking math answer, etc.) I don't specifically grade, but DS does like to see one, so I note that on top of the page - if he made no mistakes it's 100%, if he made mistakes and then corrected, two scores - before and after.

I use a colored pencil and put a dot next to any mistakes. I don't put anything next to correct answers. Ds makes his corrections and then I put a check mark, covering up the dot. That way all that's left is a "good" mark. But I like having the record of the check mark. I (or he) can go back and see which problems were troublesome. When he studies for a grammar test, for example, he always reviews problems with a check mark, because those were ones he got wrong on his first try.

My 6 and 7 year olds do their written work at the table with me, but I don't usually watch each of them closely as they're doing it. Their finished work goes in a pile next to where I'm sitting. I correct it when I have the chance -- sometimes right away, sometimes not until the next morning.

The method I've worked out is to date stamp each page, circle any incorrect or missing answers with a highlighter, then put a sticker at the top of the page to show that I've corrected it. When the child gets to that subject the next day, we go over any mistakes. They fix them, but they usually have to write the correct answer next to the circled area -- no erasing. The only exception is when the whole page is completely mangled (e.g., they wrote all the answers in the wrong spaces) -- then I'll just write "please redo" and they can erase the whole thing and start over from scratch.

This way, we can look back through their work and get an idea of what they were having trouble with at various times: not understanding the material, miscalculating, not following instructions, etc.

I don't track grades, but will occasionally write their grade before corrections (e.g. "16/20 = 80%") on the page, just so they get used to seeing this.

For math, I usually put check marks next to correct answers and then we go over the sheet again to 'get' any missed answers. Sometimes DS prefers to mark his sheet himself, which is fine by me.

I have also been known to offer sound effects as well, calling "Ding ding ding!" for correct answers and making a buzzer sounds for incorrect ones. :001_smile:

I used to really hate putting an X next to a wrong answer (I really only correct math in that way). But I realized that it was my own issue -- I was emotionally attached to my son's work. And it's no surprise that he would get really upset to see that something was wrong. So I've worked on my attitude about it. It's important to me that he can make a mistake and see that the sky doesn't fall. We make mistakes, we correct them. And on we go... I don't know if any of this is relevant to your situation, but it's been interesting for me to explore.

I used to really hate putting an X next to a wrong answer (I really only correct math in that way). But I realized that it was my own issue -- I was emotionally attached to my son's work. And it's no surprise that he would get really upset to see that something was wrong. So I've worked on my attitude about it. It's important to me that he can make a mistake and see that the sky doesn't fall. We make mistakes, we correct them. And on we go... I don't know if any of this is relevant to your situation, but it's been interesting for me to explore.

This is totally me!

That's a good point. Kids do need to learn to accept correction from other people and realize the sky won't fall. When I was working as a software developer, I'd have to hand my code to someone to review, and they'd mark it up. That's what we all did - it didn't matter if you were good or bad, your work would be marked up by someone. ;) No one writes perfect code the first time. Likewise, my kids are going to make mistakes in their school work, and I don't make a big deal out of it - I just use constructive criticism and have them correct it. We sometimes laugh about it. DS isn't afraid of a red X on his paper. He doesn't want to get one, but it doesn't traumatize him to see one.

Our reason for schooling is mastery, we don't move on til, you know, they get it. So I grade right away, that moment that they say they are done, while its still fresh in the brain, if something is wrong I make a note on a post it, or piece of paper. I don't tell them what's wrong, but give them that chance to figure it out.

ds(11) checks his work in math and gammar after EVERY problem. He does the math problem/sentence analysis and then looks at the solutions. Then, he corrects and moves to the next problem. I never grade grammar, and I am considering a test once a term in math (as suggested by Regentrude).

Ruth in NZ

When my daughter is done with something, she brings it to me and we check it over together. If there are things that are wrong, I point it out to her as we look over it, and she fixes it on the spot. If it's something that needs to be rewritten due to too many things that need changing, I might circle some things to indicate where the errors are, and then she'll go redo it.

As far as I remember, Saxon students aren't expected to correct their homework. However, I do go over it with them anyway, asking them HOW they should go about solving it so I know they know how to do it. If it's just a silly addition mistake or the like, I don't have them to it over. For tests, however, I do go over and have them correct each and every error they might make. For any other subject, I have them fix any errors. My dc aren't traumatized by x's :)

I go over math with my son (DD self-checks with the solution manual).

We find any problems where he did not arrive at the correct answer, find what went wrong, discuss it if it is a conceptual mistake, and he reworks them. If possibly, we do it immediately after he has finished his math.

I do not give grades for daily work; I view daily problems as a learning tool and find it normal that mistakes happen when you learn- they just have to get fixed.

:iagree:This.

I will highlight what needs to be corrected with a lime green highlighter. I initial pages that I approve with the same lime green highlighter. I don't do grades, I have been having them just re-do the work. I've been thinking about doing grades......I just haven't really decided how I will work that.