Menu

Just received MFW CTG in the mail today, and

hsmom2011

I understand what you mean. I think I would feel the same way if I wasn't using it with Truthquest Beginnings/OT/Ancient Egypt guide. I know MFW is made to combine a large age range, and I think that's why you will see lower level books such as the two you mentioned. Streams of Civilizations is more advanced and meant for the older age ranges. I'm doing this with a 7th grader and I think it's probably best suited for the lower age range of 5th grade. I too was a tad disappointed with the Notebooking pages, but my dd is relieved because she's not big into notebooking. I've used several things for history in the past. Often times those programs were too heavy and seemed to consume our homeschool taking large amounts of our time. I think MFW is a good balance in that regard. We are only on our 2nd week of using this program though, so I can't really give much insight. It does seem like the first few weeks are very light. We are using a different science, and (like I mentioned before) the TQ guide.

Hopefully, you will be able to find something that can work for you.

I'm sorry you're disappointed. At least you can send it back. :grouphug:

I'm not sure what ages you are using it with. I've used it with 8th and 5th.

My experiences were very different. I don't see the timeline pieces as cartoon, but they are not clip art either. They are drawn by hand and done better than I can draw. in high school MFW, we're using a ton of pieces from Homeschool in the Woods. too much for younger years.

Student pages -- several of them have pictures then you write your own summary -- I just wish that blank part had lines for writing but then again, when I had 2 students writing different levels, it was actually nice not to have pre drawn writing lines. and of the course, the map work in CTG, and a few fun game pieces in those sheets. I liked the stuff.

I liked that we used Trojan Horse to get the main plot line down, then we read The Children's Homer together. That way, youngest child got the story, and then everyone could enjoy a very rich novel together.

and the Fables - I liked that we had a taste of that while studying Greek history. I'm not sure why is disappointing.

My 8th grader didn't mind it either. She was doing "big girl stuff" with science, math, student leadership, about 4 Progeny Press books.. so she liked not all books having to be at top level. Streams is a high school text and students in CTG who are in jr. high were supposed to do reports on topics from the chapters.

But do send it back if it doesn't meet your preferences. I never found it actually below level at all. But everyone has different standards.

and my dh just said supper is ready... I hope he cooked something good.

-crystal

I am on week 2 of CtG. I am teaching a 6th, 4th, 2nd, pre-K and have a toddler. In the beginning of the teachers manual it states that there are some topics that notebooking pages are not included and that your child will need to create their own. The rest of the student pages seem to be really nice from what I have seen. I printed off some lined paper and copied it onto the bottom of the student pages so they would have lines to write their summaries. My 2nd grader needs larger lines than both my 6th and 4th graders do, so I'm thankful I can customize it. I guess I am used to the timeline pieces, since we've used them while doing the 1st grade program. My kids love to color them in themselves and they felt like we were re-visiting old friends when they saw that some were the same from the 1st grade program. To each their own, though!

I don't particularly feel like the work is "hard", but I also like being able to get everything done in a week. I haven't felt like our days are dragging on and on, but I do end our day feeling like we have accomplished something - without completely neglecting the two younger kiddo's! The integrated bible in CtG can't be beat, either, IMO.

Might I gently suggest that you spend a little bit more time with the teacher's manual, exploring the book basket books and seeing how everything will work together? I get that just looking at some of the younger books may sem like it is "babyish", but perhaps if you take a look at the other activities that are planned, other books that are suggested etc, you might find that it fits in quite nicely.

Of course, you know yourself and your children the best, so certainly do what will be best for your family, but you might be surprised if you spend a little more time looking things over!

I am on week 2 of CtG. I am teaching a 6th, 4th, 2nd, pre-K and have a toddler. In the beginning of the teachers manual it states that there are some topics that notebooking pages are not included and that your child will need to create their own. The rest of the student pages seem to be really nice from what I have seen. I printed off some lined paper and copied it onto the bottom of the student pages so they would have lines to write their summaries. My 2nd grader needs larger lines than both my 6th and 4th graders do, so I'm thankful I can customize it. I guess I am used to the timeline pieces, since we've used them while doing the 1st grade program. My kids love to color them in themselves and they felt like we were re-visiting old friends when they saw that some were the same from the 1st grade program. To each their own, though!

I don't particularly feel like the work is "hard", but I also like being able to get everything done in a week. I haven't felt like our days are dragging on and on, but I do end our day feeling like we have accomplished something - without completely neglecting the two younger kiddo's! The integrated bible in CtG can't be beat, either, IMO.

Might I gently suggest that you spend a little bit more time with the teacher's manual, exploring the book basket books and seeing how everything will work together? I get that just looking at some of the younger books may sem like it is "babyish", but perhaps if you take a look at the other activities that are planned, other books that are suggested etc, you might find that it fits in quite nicely.

Of course, you know yourself and your children the best, so certainly do what will be best for your family, but you might be surprised if you spend a little more time looking things over!

:iagree: Spend some time reading through all the teacher notes at the beginning of the TM, looking through Book Basket in the back, and studying a few weeks' lesson notes. Maybe pick Weeks 1, 10, 20, and 34 (or whatever) to read through so you can get a better of idea of what you're going to be studying and how the course progresses through the year.

You have to 30 days to return it... take your time! :001_smile:

I'd like to know if the package you ordered is for multiple ages in the K-8 range, or was it a high school package? I have seriously considered MFW for dd's high school curriculum, but not if it is as juvenile as you are describing.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Oh no, that's the elementary program! MFW Ancient History & Lit for high school is college prep. Definitely different than Creation to the Greeks elementary. ;)

I'd like to know if the package you ordered is for multiple ages in the K-8 range, or was it a high school package? I have seriously considered MFW for dd's high school curriculum, but not if it is as juvenile as you are describing.

Blessings,

Lucinda

(oops.. looks like I"m repeating what others said... typing at same time I guess. sorry)

I'm not the original poster,... but she said she ordered the logic stage program, Creation to the Greeks. It is written for grades 2-8, aimed for using when you have multiple children in those grades. So, hopefully she has that age group.

The high school programAHL (Ancient History and Literature) is very different and is written at rhetoric level. Instead of Children's Homer, they read Homer - Iliad and Odyssey. Falges translation. They read the entire Old Testament. Writing several argumentative essays over the year. Full literature analysis program. completely different program from the CTG program.

There is nothing "baby" or "juvenile" in the high school program. ;) It is college prep and very rich in the program. some people think it's too hard for 9th graders, others think it is just fine.

-crystal

Edited by cbollin
recognizing typing at same time as others

I loved CtG, and my oldest dd was in 6th grade last year.

This year, we're in a TOG co-op covering the same time period, and I was surprised to see some of the same books in the Dialectic level for TOG. I have always heard that TOG is a challenging curriculum (and it is!!!), but MFW books are just as meaty. ;)

BTW, the only reason we changed curriculum was because of the co-op.

I think Homeschool in the Woods has a really nice set of timeline pieces for that time period.

Oh..so does Pandia Press - they are black and white sticker pieces. I've always thought they looked really nice!

Good luck with your decision. Is it possible to return only the books that you don't think you will use?

Funny that you mention it being to "babyish", because that is the exact opposite that I have heard about CTG. I've heard of more than one family jumping ship from MFW in the CTG year because alot of the reading, the Streams of Civ book, and student pages were NOT good for the younger elementary crowd. I've heard it has to be 'watered down" a bit for the younger and is much more suited for older elementary. First I've ever heard of someone saying "babyish" about CtG. Interesting.

Ok, I will go over the TM more carefully. It did not say the books were specifically for younger students, if it was noted, I would not have purchased those. Does anyone use a different timeline?

No, it doesn't say on the website specifically what ages each particular book is intended for. I guess it never crossed my mind to look for that because we already owned a lot of the books that MFW uses when I found MFW. But since it does say the curriculum is used for grades 2-8 (a pretty wide range), you have to expect that there will be something there for everybody. You have the child's version of The Trojan Horse, and you have Streams.... grades 2-8. (Even some children younger than 2nd grade will enjoy The Trojan Horse, and adults will glean from Streams.) MFW is written to be a "family" curriculum, with independence and responsibility gradually added as they get older, while still including books and projects suitable for younger siblings. If you stay with MFW, you'll see an increase in the types of assignments that are given each year. It assumes that the children are growing. ;)

What are the ages of your children? Maybe we can be a bit more specific in helping if we have that information. Remember that you can also call the MFW office if some of this confusing. Some moms new to the one-room homeschooling style of learning just need assistance in how to implement it that way, too. I know that was one of my frustrations when my second dd became "of age" for multi-level learning and joined her big sister in our studies. I had to learn how to do it. (Just saying all that not knowing your background/experience, since you seem surprised by those younger books being included.)

As for the timeline pieces, we use the Sonlight Book of Time. Each of my girls, well, the older two... I haven't bought one for youngest dd yet... has their own. It's an extra expense to buy that, which is why MFW includes some timeline pieces and instructions for a "homemade" timeline, but you can certainly do your timeline however you like.

I also bought the same prepared set of timeline pieces that MFW uses at the high school level (which can be photocopied, or you can buy a separate set for each student) to use along with the SL Book of Time. Those are the ones from Homeschool in the Woods. I don't personally find anything wrong with the ones MFW includes -- I have my youngest dd using those -- but I got in the habit doing it the other way because my oldest dd already had a SL Book of Time when I started MFW. So later I just bought one for dd #2 as well. Then of course when they start high school, MFW provides the LARGE timeline books. They'll end up with TWO sets of timeline books if you stay with MFW through high school. (A grade is given for completing that timeline book in high school. It's a separate assignment in their lesson plans, for which they're responsible.) But that's another reason they do "homemade" version at the elementary level. Everything repeats itself, except with "more".

Another option for your timeline is the Tanglewood Book of Centuries: http://tanglewoodeducation.com/BOC.htm

Or this one: http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/book-of-centuries/

Lots of options out there for the timeline! :001_smile:

Ok, I will go over the TM more carefully. It did not say the books were specifically for younger students, if it was noted, I would not have purchased those. Does anyone use a different timeline?

MFW uses Homeschool in the Woods in high school. Maybe that would work better? my only caution would be not to over do timeline in elementary years.

The Trojan Horse is scheduled in week 20. Check the daily notes. It is for children to read out loud to you to get a simplified retelling, and for the purposes of a quick introduction to the names of the main characters. It is scheduled over 3 short reading sessions, but you can do it all in one setting if you wish. But, it is not a read to yourself in the plans. It's there to help your child read it to you and practice saying the characters names and get the plot.

I think it's clear from the picture on the website that it is written at a younger reading level. It's clear on the website pictures that it is a step into reading book.

But, you know... it's nice to let children read out loud from a level below their read to themselves level. Many times we do forget to have them read to us to have a quick check on fluency and how they approach unfamiliar words.

The other option is.. if it is just those 2 books that are making you not like it, then sell those 2 books.

But I just wanted to explain how the Trojan Horse book is actually scheduled and the purpose behind having the child read it aloud to you. It's a time of public speaking for youngest children, or fluency check. But if you dont' like it or don't like the education goal with the book, that's ok too. Just I think you might be seeing it out of context while making your decision.

And in terms of Aesop's Fables.... it's there for reading time to be more acquainted with the Greek literature of the time you are studying and to have something that was told to children. I certainly did not know all of the fables in there. I guess from a "classical" point of view, I don't mind using fables in upper elementary. but to each their own, right?

-crystal

Good luck with your decision. Is it possible to return only the books that you don't think you will use?

probably... but I bet she'd get more from just reselling 2 books. part of the complication with returning 2 books, is how much money gets returned because the "package" price reflects some discounts. so if you return one item in a package, it's more complicated. so just sell the books you don't like is easier and gets a little more money. I've found that to be case anytime I order from any company with a "package" deal.

-crystal

Ok, I thought the 5yr cycle was intended for grades 4-8. I did look at the TM again this morning, and I just don't think it will fit us well. We would only be using it for the History and Bible portion, and it just seems a little pricey for what you get.

For 4th - 8th graders

and 2nd - 3rd graders with older siblings in the Family Cycle.

(Also for 3rd graders who have completed Adventures in My Father's World)

:)

do send it back then. sounds like a great fit for me, but not for you.

I think the value is great, but I use it for Bible, history, a place to check off english, math, reading. get the music composers, book basket, art and art history, a general reading list in the back too (separate from basket list). but yeah, I can see why it's a poor fit for your goals... send it back :)

or if you do use it

just hold onto those books, and then resell CTG as a complete package when she is finished

hitting the like button. :)

-crystal

Oh no, that's the elementary program! MFW Ancient History & Lit for high school is college prep. Definitely different than Creation to the Greeks elementary. ;)

CTG is geared at the younger crowd, not for high school. :) I believe that, since the package is for multi-level teaching, they include some younger books like those the op mentioned to give the younger kids a few books within their own reading range.

And the two books that the OP named in her post are for younger siblings doing the program. That isn't everything that's included in CTG, though.

Whew!! Thanks, ladies!

:lol:

Blessings,

Lucinda

Before we began using MTW, I had already begun using the timeline materials from Homeschool in the woods. We've continued with that with no problem. We have their binder, the cd that includes figures from creation through modern days, and the placement guide. The drawings are gorgeous.

At the beginning of the school year, I print out a copy of all of the timeline pages for the period of history we're studying. (I print a copy for each kid.) We try to do timeline once a week. I just pull out the page that corresponds to the stuff we've been reading about and cut out the figures I think we should include. Color them with colored pencils, trim them up nicely and glue them in their binder. I look at the placement guide to show them where they should place the firgure.

Each figure has a litle blurb about it, so it makes nice review of the things we've studied. There are WAY MORE figures than we need to use at this age and I've never had a hard time finding all of the main things that I think should be included.

Funny that you mention it being to "babyish", because that is the exact opposite that I have heard about CTG. I've heard of more than one family jumping ship from MFW in the CTG year because alot of the reading, the Streams of Civ book, and student pages were NOT good for the younger elementary crowd. I've heard it has to be 'watered down" a bit for the younger and is much more suited for older elementary. First I've ever heard of someone saying "babyish" about CtG. Interesting.

Yes, it is interesting.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Lucinda, I found MFW by looking at their High School Curriculum. DH decided that we should HS dd through high school last year. <GASP> :svengo: So I started researching jr and sr high school curriculums. I found MFW and REALLY liked it so then I worked my way backwards down to where we are now. We are doing Geography right now, and then will be doing the Creation to Greeks.

I don't know the first book but I think Aesop's Fables are timeless and as a read aloud is great discussion starter. jmho :)