Menu

"Ozymandias"

UmMusa

How many of your 4th graders (or whatever grade you are using FLL4 in) were able to memorize "Ozymandias"?

My 5th grader didn't even want to attempt it (well, we've moved on to the Declaration of Independence for now), and my 4th grader got to it today. She's already memorized the first sentence in the poem (about 2 1/2 lines).

Just curious how this poem went over with others. I had to define many words so they could undersand the context of the poem. It isn't very straightforward with the quotes and then the subquote on the pedestal.

My dd9 has memorized over 50 poems since first grade. We don't shy away from poems that are difficult ... she has memorized the beginning of Song of the Open Road, which we found challenging.

But we skipped Ozymandias. I didn't want to spend the time working on it when we have other, ongoing memory work that I find perfectly adequate.

Tara

We are skipping it. My son promised to write and memorize a speech for his CC class instead. To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to memorizing it... Afternoon on a Hill was hard enough for me:tongue_smilie:! My son, of course, memorized that one in a day.

We do lots of memorizing for Classical Conversations and for AWANA. I just didn't see it being worth the fight to get my son to do it.

This is the one poem my husband knows by heart and as a consequence my kids (2 and 4) have heard it so often they know it too. There's something somewhat disconcerting about a 2.5 year old intoning "wook on my works ye mwighty, and de-spwair."

I'm not claiming they understand it, but remembering 14 lines is not a problem. Yakko's nations of the world was trickier ;)

Dd did it. Heck, we did all of the pieces FLL had. Didn't occur to us that they were optional.

I'm glad I pushed her to memorize so many pieces. She's done some fairly intense theater boot camps in the past couple of years, and her ability to memorize quickly has been an asset.

DD memorized it without problems. Language arts are her strong suit, and she has a great memory. DS hasn't gotten to that point yet, but I don't expect a problem as he's been able to do all the rest. Some take longer than others but he gets it eventually. I will definitely have some explaining to do so he understands it though.

I introduced this poem to ds last week in FLL. He groaned about memorizing. It is the first poem he has ever balked at memorizing. We are currently memorizing The Preamble, so I may just skip the memorization of it. It is encouraging though to see so many have memorized it and enjoyed the challenge.

We don't use FLL, I chose the poem on my own because we did ancient history last year. I'm glad to see that my choice was well timed for my kids ages (then 9 and 11). We actually memorized Ozymandias and On a Stupendous Leg of Granite.. by Horace Smith. We had a lot of great discussions as a result.

We have been working on Ozymandias and my kids have it mostly memorized and we have been having fun with it -- especially the lines in quotes and changing our voices with it. There is a youtube video of Ben Kingsley reciting it and that is fun. If they don't totally memorize it, it won't bother me. They seem to understand it and have some of it down.

There is also a video on youtube that shows the original Egyptian statue that was found and brought to London which inspired Shelley to write the poem

Edited by Karen in Eastern WA
typo