Menu

"Plus sizes and maternity are over there"

:glare:

My little shopping trip yesterday...

The sun was gorgeous, what a nice day out. I walked in the shop and shielded my eyes as they adjusted from the daylight; it was a little darker in there.

A lady came up to me and said, "Hi, how are you doing?"

"Fine thank-you, yourself?"

"Doing good, what can I help you find?"

"I'm just going to look around for a while, maybe try on some clothes."

"You'll find the plus sizes and maternity over there in that corner." :blink:

"Oh, thank you."

---

I don't believe I'm really in the ballpark for either of those. Some people! I tell ya!

---

I did find a couple of books, but my clothes shopping radar energy wasn't very perky after that.

I'll try again today. Different store.

Did you see the story about the woman (Nancy Upton) who won the American Apparel "plus size" modeling contest (I think it was online judging - not by the company)?

She's a size 12. T.W.E.L.V.E.

In what alternative universe did size 12 become "plus size"?

The absolute best thing? She entered as a joke because she thought the company objectified women (and you can tell by her pictures that she was being sarcastic).

When she won, AA didn't know what to do - they didn't want her! Even though she's beautiful, she obviously thinks they suck. Now they are in "discussions".

Ha!

a

"size" is a relative term, depending upon the maker of the clothes and/or the pattern. I just made myself and size 16 jacket from a fairly common sewing pattern but if I bought a size 16 from Target it would be too big. If I bought a size 16 from a more upscale department store it would be a totally different fit. And if I ordered a size 16 dress from a custom designer it would swim on me. The numbers mean almost nothing. And to the OP, that sales lady should be fired!

It what universe is Nancy Upton a size 12? She is bigger than me I can tell you I am definitely not a size 12. She does look like a plus sized woman to me.

:iagree:, though she is my size and I'm not a size 12 by any stretch of the imagination.

I was thinking the same thing. She is definitely not a 12.

See, I think it's entirely possible that she's a 12 in most mainstream stores (although not by designer or upscale standards), especially if she's not very tall. Honestly, she looks a lot like I do, and I wear a 12 at places like Target. But I'm also a little shorter than 5'2". So, while I'm "lumpy," I'm still smaller than women who are proportially about as much overweight but taller.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I used to have a really awesome tailor, she was terrific.

I wouldn't have ever hesitated to buy anything if I thought it could be shaped for me, by either adding panels in or taking them down.

I could shop from size 0 to 8X if I wanted to.

I always went for fabric quality and possibility, it is so much fun to customize clothes.

I think I'm going to grab a Vogue today and make a little scrapbook. The fall issue is usually just awesome.

I'm a size 12 or so on average, but like ya say, whoever cut the thing can change the size, just kinda have to lift it up and guess at first. Size on a tag is about meaningless.

Two things here --

One, a bunch of women deciding what size another woman is based on her appearance kind of validates American Apparel's point. Which is sad.

Two, clothes, weight, size - they are all relative. A bird boned, short individual may, "at their fighting weight" wear a size 6, but, at a ranch dressing, cherry pie weight, indeed be a size 12.

Another individual may have a sturdier frame, distribute their weight differently, look slim at a size 12 but deathly ill at a size 6.

What is more important is being healthy and loving oneself.

asta