Menu

Used my Whirley Pop for the 1st time- Why had nobody told me about this sooner

I got a Whirley Pop today and used it to make my first attempt at Kettle corn. Holy Cow, why had nobody told me how awesome this kitchen gadget is. The Kettle Corn came out perfectly. I even used coconut oil for the first time. The recipe said to use 4tbsp, but I tried just 3 since that seemed like more than enough and it was the best Kettle Corn I've ever had.

The kids can't wait to try it for traditional butter/salted popcorn.

I've had mine for a few months now and I love it! Sooooo good.

But I seem to recall some people had some tricks for theirs. Share, please! Are there things you add toward the end? What works well?

Even though it was my first attempt here's what I did to make the Kettle Corn. It was good, although next time I think I'll cut the sugar down a bit.

1/2C popcorn

1/3C sugar (white, or you could use brown for more of a carmel corn taste)

3TBSP coconut oil (the recipe said 4, but that seemed like a lot)

Dump it all in the whirley pop. I preheated my burner because I have an electric stove, but didn't put the popper on until the burner was heated up well. I set my burner to just between 7 and 8. Stir until the handle is hard to turn. Dump out, let cool for a minute or two and dig in! YUMMO!:lurk5:

I love, love, love the $3 Whirly-Pop I got at Good Will. We don't use it for popcorn, though. We use it to roast our own coffee beans! You can get green coffee beans for ONE HALF what already-roasted ones cost. Pop two cups of green beans in the Whirly-Pop, whirl it around for 10 minutes, and you have a one-week supply of DELICIOUS coffee. :D

I clicked on this thread to see what a whirly pop is and realized I have one already!:001_smile: I just didn't know it was called a whirly pop!

I've had mine for years now. I picked it up at goodwill, brand new and still in the box it came in.

We love it! It definitely makes the best popcorn we've ever had. Microwave popcorn just doesn't get it anymore.

We've made the kettle corn as well and it is so yummy! I'll have to try the coconut oil.

I just ordered this one, now after looking I think I should have gotten the red one. But no big deal. It will work.

That is the one we have and it works great! I thought air popped was great but now I'm sold on a Whirly Pop. My mom gave it to us for Christmas last year (and I didn't think I needed one when I got it...)

Can't wait to try the kettle corn!

I am embarrassed to admit I had no idea what a Whirly Pop was until I clicked on the link someone put up. is it really better than just popping the kernels in a pot and shaking?

YES! By far way better. We have been making popcorn that way for years, then I got the this wonderful gadget and I will never go back to just a pan. Now I made some for dh while he was home and he said that it was by far the best popcorn he has ever had.:D

Now I did order these to go with it and I love it!

ETA, I have been mia for a week so just updating on a few old threads.