Menu

Please commend a vocabulary program.

athomemom

I have a copy of Sadlier-Oxford's Vocabulary Workshop, Level Blue. This book covers synonyms, antonyms, analogies, spelling, some Greek and Latin word roots, and vocabulary meanings from short readings. I found a copy cheap at Goodwill that was in brand new condition, so it was a no-brainer to give it a try. I like what I see so far.

My dd has had good retention from MCT's Caesar's English and now Caesar's English 2. Every other chapter focuses on Latin roots, and he also makes connections to Spanish. He focuses on words commonly found in classic literature and provides many quotes from classic works that include vocabulary list words. When we encounter these words in our reading, dd will mention words she recognizes from CE. All of the chapter quizzes are cumulative, and I think this helps a lot with the retention.

Vocabulary Workshop. I used this as a student and still remember words like bucolic and histrionics. Lessons were set up so 1 chapter a week covered the book. Also included synonyms and antonyms and sentence fill in the blanks. The issues I did had a pencil on the cover.

Would also look up the SAT Hit list and learn very well. Usually available in Princeton Review and such.

I wasn't too sure about Wordly Wise but still had my daughter complete it last year, her first year of hs. At one point during the year I doubted whether she was retaining the words but after going back and quizzing her on the 1st chapter, I realized she still knew them. Then her standardized test scores came back and on the vocabulary section her score jumped 5 grade levels after that year, so it must've worked for her. Needless to say, we're doing it again :) Good luck in your pursuit.

Vocabulary Workshop. I really think my girls started using big words ever since they started two years ago. I'm thinking of dropping Voc. Workshop since now that I am serious about my kids learning Latin, the Latin vocab is giving plenty of new words for them to think about.

I wanted to add a bit more since so many others have recommended Vocabulary Workshop. There are online exercises and games at the Sadlier_Oxford website. The books can be found cheaply at Amazon or other book resellers.

I was going to recommend Vocabulary Workshop too. My SIL, who's at Stanford right now, credits this program in helping her learn and retain those harder words that she now wields expertly in high quality essays. I have the privilege of proofreading her work from time to time.

I'm excited to start using it with ds in 4th grade next year.

I was going to recommend Vocabulary Workshop too. My SIL, who's at Stanford right now, credits this program in helping her learn and retain those harder words that she now wields expertly in high quality essays. I have the privilege of proofreading her work from time to time.

I'm excited to start using it with ds in 4th grade next year.

What a wonderful endorsement! I feel very good about using VW this year.

My son is using Wordsmart software. I bought it off of ebay. He has always scored very high in vocabulary (6 or more grade levels higher than where he "should" be as of the last standardized test). Today, he was talking to a high school teacher he randomly met at a park and she told him how impressed she was with his vocabulary and that most of her high school students don't use the words he does. This is my child with a language-based learning disability.:D

So, I think part of it is just him, but I think Wordsmart, Saxon Grammar (introduces 2 new vocabulary words a day), IEW (since he's forced to use strong verbs and word variation) and lots of listening to audiobooks and read-alouds have all contributed to his large vocabulary. Oh, and lots of Calvin and Hobbes!

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa