Menu

80's party, need help!

From the adult beverage category:

Jello shots (became popular in the 80's)

Wine Coolers (remember Bartles & James)

Kamikazi shots

Long Island Iced Tea

Light Beer

Melon Balls

For foods and sweets:

Taco bar

Salad bar (salad bars came out in the 80's)

Where's the Beef? Burgers (Wendy's 80's commercials)

Potato skins were really popular

Blackened anything was popular

Brie was big in the 80's

Fried mushrooms & fried cheese

Artichoke dip served in a bread bowl

Sushi was really big

Frozen Yogurt

Pop Rocks

Huge Pixie Stix

Ring Pops

Rice Krispie Treats (made the right way)

Fluffernutter sandwiches

Nerds

Fun Dips

Charleston Chews

Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream (became commercially available in late 1984 [maybe early 85], I was at the opening party for its introduction in NYC)

Snapple

Jello instant pudding

Jello pudding pops

Boboli pizza crusts were introduced

Microwave popcorn

Ok, a menu from all of your fantastic suggestions, a few memories of my own:

Drinks:

Cherry 7-up

Orange Julius

Food:

Artichoke dip in bread bowl

Tri-color pasta salad

Stouffer's lasanga

Ranch Doritos

Candies:

Fun Dips

Pop rocks

Candy necklace

Ring pops

Was blackened items really that popular? I have no real memories of adult food, I was 4 when the 80's were over...

Sigh. Either I misread your post, your dh is very young or I am really getting old... :tongue_smilie: I graduated from high school in the '80s. Yikes!

Anyway, having btdt, I think you have a lot of good suggestions. Now you just need some great 80s music!!! Hope you have a blast and happy birthday to your dh!

Buffalo Wings had gone viral by then.

Spinach dip in a bread bowl was huge.

It's funny--I don't remember the food as much as the styles, which were kind of exaggerated. Teased up hair on top, long on back, spiral curls, legwarmers, layered bright socks, really big shoulder pads a la Dallas, matching business suits for women, very spiked little heels and very pointed toes, eelskin purses and shoes, ditto ostrich skin, Frye boots.

I didn't realize the 80's had their own kind of food. :lol: I was a teen in the 80's. All the food listed here that is "80's foods" are foods we have today too. Anyway....not trying to be a party pooper. I love the 80's. Serve pizza, chips, candy and pop and it'll be great. I hope everyone will be dressing up.

Yes, lasagna was big. Makes me think of Garfield. Maybe you can decorate with pictures of Garfield, Ziggy, etc. :D

Also pasta in general, including pasta salads.

Not sure if this was true everywhere, but pita bread was a big fad where we lived. Even Burger King went through a phase of having them at their salad bar.

Quiche was trendy in the 80's, hence that "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche" book.

Ditto the wine coolers and Orange Julius.

Muffins. Especially with oat bran. I remember lots of muffin shops at the mall.

Donut holes.

A giant chocolate chip cookie served instead of a cake, often decorated with M&M's, with a message written in icing.

Most of these foods are still eaten today, but they were considered quite exotic until the 70's, and really hit mainstream popularity in the 80's. (My mother was more of an old-fashioned cook, and some of this stuff was far too new-fangled and frou-frou for her. ;) )

Forgot to mention that it would also be very typical to have garlic bread along with the lasagna. (ETA: Yes, even though you're already having pasta salad.)

I think the 80's were the decade when even affluent people started eating lots of carbohydrates. Recipe books were beginning to cut back on the fat content of traditional dishes, with the result that people were still hungry and got into the habit of filling up on pasta, bread, cookies, soda, etc. It took a while for dieticians and the general population to realize that this might not be such a great idea. But for a one-time party, I say go for it. :D

Edited by Eleanor

My older kids were tykes back in the 80's, and these are what I remember the most.

FINGER FOODS (very popular in the 80's)

Mini quiches

Pizza rolls

Spring rolls

Hot Pockets

Fondue (both the cheese kind and the chocolate)

Nachos

Chips-n-dip

Bloomin' onions

ALSO

Layered salads

Jello dishes

McNuggets

Tacos

Fish-n-chips

Chili Mac

Baked potato bar

Decadent chocolate desserts

M&M's

Eeeeee gads! Did we really eat all this cr%p? Yes, we did....(sigh) Have fun with your party!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

Sigh. Either I misread your post, your dh is very young or I am really getting old... :tongue_smilie: I graduated from high school in the '80s. Yikes!

Oh Dear! I had to go back and look again, also. Did she say the decade he was born in?:001_huh: I graduated high school in 1980. I was a Flight Attendant in the 80's. That was a blast!

Thinking back - party items always included Frozen Daquiris or Tab, the melted block of Velveeta cheese mixed with Rotel tomatoes and green chilis served with chips, chicken wings, and a Crockpot full of little smokies or meatballs with weird stuff like grape jelly or cranberry sauce (I can't remember exactly)

Also, you had to try dressing like Madonna and dancing like Michael Jackson. I just remember that the dance version of "Billie Jean" was so long, it was a killer.

Sorry to make everyone feel ancient! :tongue_smilie: My dh will be turning 30, and feels like he is already over the hill...he is prone to dramatics though. We are on the younger side in our circle of friends, so I think an 80's party would be a big hit among people who actually remember it. :D

I love the idea of a pac man cake!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dorlarque/460507651/

Edited by MusicMama