Menu

Anyone up for making this easy dessert and telling me what you think of it?

In my capacity as a pastry chef, I get to make wonderful desserts, mostly of my own choosing. Currently, I am required to have a dessert on the menu that I really, seriously don't like. I have this incredible bias against this dessert, because I think it kind of...lacks flavor, and because I think it just doesn't look nice enough for a restaurant menu. The restaurant owner loves it, as does (apparently) the head chef.

Anyone want to make it and tell me what you think? :bigear: It's easy, I promise!

Pineapple Cake

In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together, and then set them aside:

2 cups flour

2 tsp. baking soda

In a medium mixer bowl, cream together:

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

Add:

20 oz. crushed pineapple (along with the juice)

Add in the dry ingredients and mix briefly, just until incorporated.

Immediately pour into a greased/floured 9x13 pan, and bake at 350* for appx. 35-40 minutes. The cake will sink in the middle. :glare:

After the cake cools, spread thickly with this frosting:

16 oz. cream cheese

1 1/2 sticks butter

3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

2 tsp. vanilla extract

Let me know if you try it, ok?

Yum!! This reminds me of the Pineapple Upside Down Cake my mom use to make in a skillet! But, of course, ours has rings of pineapple on the bottom with a candied cherry :) I can't try it right now, as I'm trying not to do sugar... :(

Yes, I can make a very nice pineapple upside-down cake--but this isn't it.

I think it's a little...folksy? It doesn't seem to me to blend nicely with a menu of bittersweet flourless chocolate cake glazed with chocolate ganache, classic creme brulee, peanut butter chocolate torte, and strawberry cheesecake. I could be totally wrong though. :001_huh: I just end up making it and thinking it's on the bland side, and I hate that it falls in the middle, and that it looks like something made at home rather than something prepared by a chef for your enjoyment. I confess though, that I'm a bit of a dessert snob. It not only has to taste really special, but it has to look irresistible.

Can you 'doctor' the recipe maybe with some liquor(snapps) and a fancy baking dish to raise its status? It doesn't appeal to me either as written. Needs some fancy presentation at a minimum.

The owner (who's also one of my best friends) *loves* this dessert, and has a strong sentimental attachment to it because her grandma made it. Because of this, she doesn't want me to change anything. Personally, I think it needs some rum. :D The cream cheese frosting recipe makes an excessive amount, and the frosting ends up being almost as thick a layer as the cake. The frosting is also pretty runny, so I can't keep the edges of the slices looking nice. I guess I'm just venting, and it was kind of nice to read the reviews on allrecipes and see that I'm not alone in my opinion. I'm surprised I didn't think to check there before, since that's one of my favorite sites. I do bake it, then turn it out of the pan and frost the top, then slice it into theoretically tidy squares for serving.

Can you layer it in clear cups and call it a trifle or something? I know you don't want to even make it, but if they aren't going to listen to your expert opinion, at least you can present it in a more modern fashion.

What if you add some cherry to the frosting? Cherries and pineapple go well together.

Good luck!

The ratio of topping to cake, reminds me of a friend. She is very athletic and is was a firefighter. She runs and exercises for the 'fun of it' (insert my shudder here LOL). She eats wonderful whole foods.

She will accept a piece of cake wholeheartedly if you give her one. When she is done...only the cake will be left. She will have eaten all of the frosting. LOL She loooooves frosting....doesn't care for cake.

I wonder if you can change the pan you bake it in, to change the appearence of the cake without changing the ingredients.

Maybe a mini fluted-edge-tart or mini bundt pan. Maybe you could fill the center with the topping and then top it like this?

I think it could be nice IF it was served warm topped with an amazing vanilla or coconut ice cream, and maybe dusted with cinammon or something like that. Frosting it seems bizzare, especially with it sinking in the middle! I think some of it served warm in the center of a plain white bowl, topped with homemade ice cream and sprinkled with something would be nice. Frosted is ridiculous and sounds like something from a cafeteria.

I wonder if you can change the pan you bake it in to change the appearence of the cake.

Maybe a mini fluted edge tart or mini bundt pan. Maybe you could fill the center with the topping and then top it like this?

This is what I was thinking too--if one if the big issues for you as the chef is the presentation, could you alter that without changing the recipe itself? Cute little fancy-frosted cakes sound better to me than a big (accidentally--I understand it is inevitable) sloppy cake cut into squares.