Menu

I'm curious how many people here use/used TOG in grades 9-12?

I used TOG for my 2nd and 3rd dc for high school, but they did/ are doing different things for senior year (college classes etc.). My current 8th grader is doing Rhetoric level history, and will progress to Rhetoric Lit during this school year. TOG gives us the rigor I was seeking for high school with the teacher support I needed. (I tried Cornerstone and Omnibus for my first dd - not enough teacher support for me.)

My current 7th grader has had issues with dyslexia. I anticipate him moving to the Rhetoric level in the 10th grade rather than 8th. I intend to stick with TOG though.

We do TOG with a co-op, so all the hands-on stuff for my little crew is accomplished there. For my high school kids, the classroom discussions are much more stimulating than a discussion with just mom and a sibling at home.

FWIW, three years ago the whole co-op decided to stop early and do unit 4 at home. We all failed miserably without the accountability. We now do 32 weeks together and do those last 4 weeks at home with a presentation night at the end to wrap it all up. (This gives the gardeners time to plant, the travelers time to travel before prices go up, and everyone time to catch up on other subjects before the school year ends.)

This is our 5th year of using TOG and my daughter is now in 9th grade and doing rhetoric. It is great for her, I LOVE the high expectations and workload! The best part is that we are doing an online co-op and I am finding that this was the missing piece for us. The discussions that she is having are exactly what has been missing by us just doing it together at home.

I used it with my oldest two. We did two full rotations -- my oldest completed all 4 years at the rhetoric level and my middle child used it for 9th grade. (then we switched to Notgrass)

I wouldn't use it with my youngest at the rhetoric level for various reasons...mostly the workload.

We are using it here. Dd is in tenth grade, this is our second year doing R level. I am tweaking it a lot more this year and by using more TC dvd's and different spine books.

BTW, I know that Janice in NJ used TOG R level for her children in highschool to some extent.

Let's see for Year 1 the boys were:

7th - dialectic 5th combo dialectic and ug and K just read an occasional book to her

Year 2

6th and 8th both boys dialectic level though 6th grader didn't have to answer questions on paper or just a few of them not all of them

Girl was 1st and concentrated on vision therapy, phonics and basic math as she couldn't really read. Once again just read an occasional book from TOG

Year 3

7th and 9th 9th grader did all rhetoric, 7th grader did a combo: mostly dialectic at first but rhetoric at the end since he had already read all of the dialectic level books for Civil War and that is his passion. 2nd grader did one TOG book a week, occasionall projects...definitely not as written

Year 4

8th and 10th grade boys did rhetoric level lit and history together, girl in 3rd grade actually started to do TOG as written. We read most of the books and completed some worksheets and projects.

This year we have taken a break. Boys are doing AP Government since I didn't do the government component. I'm doing my own Texas history curriculum I've written with my 4th grade girl and she is getting states at co-op.

Next year, I THINK that we will all be doing TOG year 1 again, but I'm not positive. I'll definitely do ug with my girl and probably rhetoric with my middle boy but I just don't know for sure. Too early to know yet.

I enjoyed TOG. I think the important thing is to use the curriculum as it works with your family. Don't try to do it all. I never felt guilty for not using the lower grammar portion with my youngest. I wasn't a failure. She was not ready and needed to get her vision issues and reading strong first!!! Now she is so incredibly ready to do the reading that TOG requires. Basically she will probably follow the path my middle one took doing a mix of dialectic and ug her 5th grade year especiallys since I own all the books. I also love the flexibility of the program. On that year 3 I did a mixture of rhetoric and dialectic books for the boys as well as books I had taught myself. I love having all of the choices and for me it isn't overwhelming. I must have choice or add it. I have never, ever done a curriculum as written and wouldn't know how.

Christine

I have.

Graduated oldest dd, using TOG in rotation: started with Year 3, then 4, 1 & 2 her sr. year. She's now at a liberal arts college, where she gets 4 semesters of the TOG cycle and is pleased as punch about it!

Still using TOG. . . .ds15 is a sophomore, using TOG Year 4. He's taking an online Rhetoric Lit class, I still do the history discussions. He LOVES their online class! Really, really good.

And I'll echo the others, to an extent. The workload is not light. But I absolutely love (ok, am addicted to) the history discussions with my kids. Great, focused time to really talk about so many things. . . . .

I just started using TOG for my 10th grade son. We're doing Year 1, Rhetoric in the first semester (trimming), and then second semester, moving on to Year 2. From what I've read on these boards Year 2 is quite challenging so I will be cutting and pasting that as well and am not opposed to using outside resources like TC lectures. I'd like to start Year 3 next fall, so we can finish up with Year 4 in his senior year.

My son loves that the history readings are not from a textbook. I like the level of reading and thinking required, but I find it challenging to read bits and pieces of so many different books at the same time. But I guess the unit-study style curriculum has its advantages in terms of maintaining the interest of a teenager.

We still have not quite got the hang of the weekly discussions, so any help you all can offer would be much appreciated. I haven't had the time to listen to the lectures on using TOG that Marcia Somerville put together, as I'm assuming she addressed this rather major feature of her curriculum there.

Thanks!