Menu

Anyone here diabetic? Help needed!

I'm diabetic and on Metformin 500mg. I haven't been very compliant with the Metformin, (it bothers my stomach) and with all the antibiotics I've been on and being sick for months with the UTI stuff, I just have not been good with diet and haven't exercised.

My sugars are out of control. At least upper 200s..I'm even over 200 in the morning. I'm managing, but come afternoon, I can't function I'm SO tired and it's affecting our homeschool terribly. I feel so lousy and just want to blow off the rest of the afternoon.

I have to go back for labs Monday and see my doc next Friday and I know what they're going to say. The A1c is going to be even higher and she's going to lecture me about my diet and exercise.

I cannot locate the "diet" I was given re: the exact amount of carbs I'm supposed to have with meals and snacks.

Is there anything natural you do to keep your blood sugars in check? How often do you check them?

I can't believe I've let this go. It just makes me so sad to feel like such crap all day, every day, and everything I do.

It used to be just high sugar foods that sent me soaring. Now it seems that even some pasta, or a yogurt makes me spike.

Do you follow a strict diabetic diet? ( I know we're supposed to..but DO you?) Do you have any good websites to share? Thanks!

I am not diabetic but have PCOS and therefore watch my carb intake and take metformin (2000 mg XR).

Have you tried gradually ramping up your metformin dose? How long have you been on it? Is XR an option for you if you aren't already taking it?

I was really sick years ago when I started on the regular (non XR) stuff. A few years later I went back on metformin (ttc) and asked to try the XR, which was way easier for me. I also found ramping up my dose gradually helped ease the stomach stuff.

I've heard good things about this book from the folks over on the lowcarbfriends forum:

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernsteins-Diabetes-Solution-Achieving/dp/0316167169/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316092025&sr=8-1

New one coming out:

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernsteins-Diabetes-Solution-Achieving/dp/0316182699/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316092025&sr=8-2

...the book is called The PHmiracle for Diabetes by Robert Young http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DASIZU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0446691003&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1YVAG2QJ6D0BN495DGVE It is a revolutionary book but I think worth the read even if one doesn't do 'everything' in it, it makes it point and I have personally seen great results. I had a young man w/us for over a month who was so ill from his type 1 diabetes the drs were telling him he might not make it to 50. We followed this book and his insulin use went down immediately. He felt better after a few days and we were all learning from watching him bravely commit to this. What did he have to lose, was his motto! He is from England and so he had to return and just 'do his best' for he is a missionary and dirt poor. But even in doing 'his best' he has managed to keep most of his diet 'green' and is still seeing tremendous results. Anyway...just my two cents of sharing!!

I hear a lot of people complain about metformin. My husband got very sick on it alone! He switched to Glyb/Metformin and it works amazing! He never has issues with sugar anymore. His sugar averages 101-105 in the morning and never goes into the 200s We eat a healthy diet. I cook his lunch and dinner. He usually cooks eggs or something like that for breakfast.

Today he had cherry cream cheese pastry! Ugh. not on his diet. He is fine when he cheats since he is so well controlled. His sugar always drops back down. We "try" to eat the daily fruits/veg. amounts. When you do that...you really automatically stay in check with your blood. I guess it is because you dont have hunger to eat other junk. I dont cook pasta almost ever. When we have rice, we have Brown Rice only. I cook red meat only once every few weeks. We eat a lower fat diet as well. Dont get me wrong, we cheat with pizza and mcD once in a while but not regularly.

As far as books, I have the diabetic cookbook from Betty Crocker which is easy to follow. The 3 hour diet is a great book. BUT it is hard to follow. You can learn a lot from it about sugars and cutting back. THey really limit sugar in that book but if you can follow it you will do amazing. I just use it as a starting point and cut out lots of sugar. For yogurts, we eat Fage. They seem to have a higher protein and shouldnt spike you as much as regular yogurts.

Also try Dreamfiields pasta

They sell them in the grocery store (black box) Very low glycemic value

Edited by mchel210

A few years back we had a young man in our youth group that had been diabetic since he was young -- it was diagnosed around age 10, I think. When it was discovered, his blood sugar was around 400.

He tried modifying his diet, etc. but was still having a very hard time controlling his sugar. He read/heard about cinnamon. He took it in capsule form and it has done wonders for him.

He lost quite a bit of weight, takes NO medications - -he just watches what he eats, exercises and takes cinnamon.

I'm no expert on this...I just know this young man has done a complete 180.

A few years back we had a young man in our youth group that had been diabetic since he was young -- it was diagnosed around age 10, I think. When it was discovered, his blood sugar was around 400.

He tried modifying his diet, etc. but was still having a very hard time controlling his sugar. He read/heard about cinnamon. He took it in capsule form and it has done wonders for him.

He lost quite a bit of weight, takes NO medications - -he just watches what he eats, exercises and takes cinnamon.

I'm no expert on this...I just know this young man has done a complete 180.

oooh I didn't know you could get cinnamon in a capsule! I have to find that. The sprinkling it on my coffee thing does not work for me. :)

Cinnamon is good. There is also a diabetic herbal tea made out of stinging nettles. I've had it - it doesn't taste bad or sting you!

Re. your sugars right now. When you have infection your blood sugars naturally go up. It's a vicious circle because being diabetic makes infection harder to control and infection makes your diabetes harder to control.

Yes, you need to figure out your carbs. How I figured it out was to be religious about checking my blood sugars after every single meal. I wrote down what I ate. In my case, I found that I can have one of those lower calorie breads (like a Thomas 100 cal. English muffin ) for breakfast with protein, but no more bread. I can't handle carbs at all during the middle of the day, so lunch is just salad with protein in it (chicken or other meat, or beans or cheese). At dinner I allow myself only 1/3 c. of brown rice or potatoes or noodles. Snacks have no carbs.

I've made my exercise time sacred. I've scheduled my kid's exercise during that time (at the Y) and I do my own. If I'm tempted to cancel, my kids still beg to go so that gets me out the door!

I take my meds at night with a snack. This helps keep my stomach from being upset.

Most people who have stomach upset usually get past it within 2 weeks. If it is still present your doctor should change to something you can tolerate. Period. If your not taking it, it can't help.

My usual diet is 30-45 grams of carbs per meal max and 15 grams of carbs per snack. 3 meals and 3 small snacks are reccomended. You should also have a serving of protein in each.

You should be taking your glucose levels every morning before you eat or drink anything (fasting) and at least once 1 to 2 hours after a meal and anytime you feel like something is wrong. Talk to your doctor about where your levels should be for you. For me mt fasting should be between 60 to 90 and my post-meal should not be higher than 140. This gives me a good idea of how I am controlling my levels.

Any kind of infection will make your levels go up and make it harder to fight infections.

You should ask for an appointment with a Certified Diabetes Educator and Nutritionist. Most insurances pay for these services as they are very important in helping you learn to live with your diabetes and make the changes necessary without feeling overwhelmed.

While you will find a lot of misleading information out there about herbal supplements and miracle cures, the reality is that there is no cure for diabetes and working with your endocronologist closely is very important. Uncontrolled diabetes can lead to major problems including death and is not something to be taken lightly.

If you do decide to try a supplement make sure you discuss it with your doctor because a lot of them can affect the way your medications work.

I have lived with diabets now for close to 6 years. I am young, in great shape, and not overweight. It just goes to show that you can do everything just right and still have diabetes.

Knowing that you want to change is the first step and I applaude that.

I take my meds at night with a snack. This helps keep my stomach from being upset.

Most people who have stomach upset usually get past it within 2 weeks. If it is still present your doctor should change to something you can tolerate. Period. If your not taking it, it can't help.

My usual diet is 30-45 grams of carbs per meal max and 15 grams of carbs per snack. 3 meals and 3 small snacks are reccomended. You should also have a serving of protein in each.

You should be taking your glucose levels every morning before you eat or drink anything (fasting) and at least once 1 to 2 hours after a meal and anytime you feel like something is wrong. Talk to your doctor about where your levels should be for you. For me mt fasting should be between 60 to 90 and my post-meal should not be higher than 140. This gives me a good idea of how I am controlling my levels.

Any kind of infection will make your levels go up and make it harder to fight infections.

You should ask for an appointment with a Certified Diabetes Educator and Nutritionist. Most insurances pay for these services as they are very important in helping you learn to live with your diabetes and make the changes necessary without feeling overwhelmed.

While you will find a lot of misleading information out there about herbal supplements and miracle cures, the reality is that there is no cure for diabetes and working with your endocronologist closely is very important. Uncontrolled diabetes can lead to major problems including death and is not something to be taken lightly.

If you do decide to try a supplement make sure you discuss it with your doctor because a lot of them can affect the way your medications work.

I have lived with diabets now for close to 6 years. I am young, in great shape, and not overweight. It just goes to show that you can do everything just right and still have diabetes.

Knowing that you want to change is the first step and I applaude that.

How do you create your meals? Do you find yourself constantly checking carbs? Are there any blogs or sites that you're aware of that already has some ideas put together? Yes, that is the carb number that the dietician gave me. I did not like that lady and really don't want to go back to her.

Since posting, I found out there is a diabetes education center nearby and they have a free info session each month. It happens to be next wednesday! I think I'm going to go.

I would talk to the doctor about modifying your medication to find something you can live with. My mom is diabetic and did carb counting for several years, but has recently starting the newest weight watchers program and this has been working well for her. She is able to follow the plan without feeling deprived and her blood sugar is under control.

1 - there are other drugs besides metformin that can be used if you can't tolerate it. Some are super spendy and others are dirt-cheap and on the Walmart $4 list. Talk to your doc.

2 - taking metformin without food makes me throw up. My doc says that is pretty normal. Best food for me to take it with is something with a little fat - like a cheese stick or a Babybel round.

3 - you DONT HAVE TO EXERCISE AN HOUR A DAY to get benefits. Going from no daily exercise to a short 15 minute walk will show an improvement in your blood sugar levels. Once you get them down even a little, you will have more energy and feel better.

I have had some success by taking a Chromium supplement (doctor's recommendation). It's not a magic pill by any means, but it does seem to help keep my levels down a little bit. I also take Vitamin D, because with the dark and cold here, I need all the help I can get to keep active in the winter.

In the beginning I bought a paperback carb counting book and eventually I began to learn what 15 carbs would be.

I also learned which things would send my glucose levels through the roof, even if I only ate 15 carbs of the, white rice, pasta, white bread, and noe pretty much avoid them.

You might check with someone where the class is beinf held for a reccomendation for another nutritionist. Anyone who tells you have to give up everything with sugar in it is way behind current research and is serting you up to fail. It's all about moderation and what works for you.

I don't know of any websites. You might try the American Diabetes Association. I am sure there is some helpful information there.

yep....was on metformin for many many years--once your system gets used to it the stomach "unease" should stop....it bothered my dh and the dr told him to only take 1/day so that's what he does....I'm not on it anymore..there are a few other meds (janumet-januvia) that are similar and are good (I was on them a while too)-now I am off pills and just do two insulins--insulin's not as scary as it seems.....hope you can get it back under control soon......I've been diabetic since the late 1990s

You guys are scaring me! My doctor just started me on Metformin 2 days ago. I take it with food and haven't had any side effects. How long would it take for me to have a bad reaction if I have one? I hate stomach aches! I'm taking 1000 mg a day.

Well, when I first started it I had side effects immediately and I started on 500mg a day. I'd say, if you haven't had any side effects yet, you're doing well! I had upset stomach, cramping, diarrhea and nausea.

I have so many darned things going on now physically so who the heck knows. :(

You guys are scaring me! My doctor just started me on Metformin 2 days ago. I take it with food and haven't had any side effects. How long would it take for me to have a bad reaction if I have one? I hate stomach aches! I'm taking 1000 mg a day.

I would think it would begin somewhat soon after starting....if you were going to have a reaction to it....

Dr. Bernstein's book is excellent: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Really, you MUST read it. It's for both type Is and type IIs.

Written by an endocrinologist who is himself a type I diabetic, it differs significantly from the official ADA party line. But frankly, the ADA's recommendations suck. ;) They're not nearly dramatic enough for those who are looking at (hopefully) another 50 years of (hopefully healthy) life. And Dr. Bernstein is his own success story; he's arguably one of the healthiest elderly type I diabetics in the world.

Bernstein includes his recommendations for meds, supplements, diet, and exercise. He gives diabetics a systematic way to monitor their progress toward normal blood sugars, which will help their doctors fine-tune meds and other interventions. He's of the opinion that while meds are great and often necessary, it's best to minimize dependence on meds whenever possible by changing diet and lifestyle.