Menu

If you listen to Jim Weiss read SOTW...

rochellek

If you listen to Jim Weiss reading Story of the World, what do your kids do while listening? Do they sit and listen with no distractions? Do they fiddle with toys or other things? Are they fully engaged in another activity? If you listen in the car, can they remember what they heard well enough to discuss it later on?

Very curious to know, as we are about to start and I am wondering how to set up our routine, and... what is practical for an almost 7 year old who is easily distractible!

Thanks in advance!

My 6yo doesn't retain much. He usually is coloring or building with Lego's while it is playing. I play it for my older children and they are engaged and ready to discuss. (and my other DS, who is now 9 was the same way at almost 7yo. He really started participating and actively listening about the time he turned 8.) Every child is different though.

When my twins were younger they would build Legos while listening, or they would bounce on workout balls. They always remembered what they listened too. My younger son will only listen to SOTW in the car, at home he is just too distracted. :glare:

We have not done SOTW, but I just wanted to comment that after DD started to read, I had her follow along in the printed book as she hears the audio book. At first she resisted, but now it is a habit. We started this as I pulled her out of school and had no idea what curriculum to use. We continue to do this, even in the car, as I've noticed amazing improvement in her vocabulary, spelling, and reading skills.

This is the method I intend to use if we end up doing STOW. While my DD is a mix of an auditory/visual learner, I am highly visual, so I worry about retention without engaging the eyes!

But again, take my advice for what it's worth, as I have no firsthand experience with SOTW, and have only done audiobooks of fiction, poetry and some science!

Edited by timetoteach

We have not done SOTW, but I just wanted to comment that after DD started to read, I had her follow along in the printed book as she hears the audio book. At first she resisted, but now it is a habit. We started this as I pulled her out of school and had no idea what curriculum to use. We continue to do this, even in the car, as I've noticed amazing improvement in her vocabulary, spelling, and reading skills.

This technique really does help an emerging reader. Some children really take off in reading, spelling, and vocab after doing this for a while.

When we are listening to them during our history time, they just listen with the map in front of them. My oldest has just started to follow along in the book. I stop after each section and ask the questions in the AG or do a narration.

My boys also listen "for fun" in the car, at bedtime or whenever. They usually just sit and listen, but may have a toy to play with.

They love, love, love the CD's and beg to listen to more, but I am a mean mommy and refuse to let them listen ahead of what we are studying!

My son doesn't like to listen to things, he prefers reading. So it was a gamble to buy the SOTW audio. We listen to it in the car since he is a captive audience, and he loves them. We usually end up listening to each section about two times before we get to it during school time, and by then he knows every detail perfectly well. It has made history time a breeze for us this year. Last year we really struggled through it, so to me the audio has made a huge difference.

My almost 7 y/o listens to it sitting on the sofa. He has been fascinated with it and always asks if he can listen to a history chapter.

Depending on the time of day, my almost 5 y/o twins sometimes sit and listen or sometime come and go. I don't compel them to pay attention but I can hear in their conversation that they are picking up bits and pieces.

We have done this several ways... I started with mom reads and we stop and talk then another day we listen. I do not like reading to wiggle worms, so that does not work for me because it appears I breed and raise WIGGLE WORMS!

So, things that have worked... coloring, drawing, quiet work.

Or my favorite car rides. We back up to the previous chapter, listen through the current chapter... STOP... they want more and I want them wanting more.

After we have finished a CD, that CD can be listened to at anytime in the car. I cannot tell you how many times we have been through STOW vol 1.

:-)

We supplement with SOTW so it isn't our primary history. My son loves Jim Weiss and listens to the stories over and over and over again. We listen in the car and he takes the cds to his room and plays while he listens.

Yes, he remembers them in great detail but he is very much an auditory learner.

My guy listens on an ipod while he's going to sleep. He usually stays awake in bed for 30-60 minutes listening to various audio books at night.

:iagree: My boys love listening to them at night. Even my ds6 has great comprehension and retains a lot this way. He is always telling us about what he heard.