Menu

Will you use EXPLORE again?

matilda

I see that the information on the 2011/2012 EXPLORE test is starting to come out.

For those who have had your children test in years past, were you happy with the experience? I like the idea of an out-of-level test, because I would like a snapshot of where we are at. Could I get that from the EXPLORE? Or is the test only good if you want to go to an award ceremony or participate in one of the talent search programs?

Were you happy with the organization/talent search that you tested with? Did they give you useful information with the test results?

We did EXPLORE last year for my fifth grade DD. We do standardized testing every year, but this was the first time we had done an out of level test. It was very helpful and we will definitely do it again this year. It gave us a much better idea of where she is at than the grade level tests have because she always topped out on the grade level tests. The organization we went through, NUMATS, not only sent the standard letter and test results, but also had a website where I could compare her scores to other gifted kids and get recommendations for her course of study, although the recommendation tended to be fairly generic. For instance, they suggested for sixth grade that she do pre-algebra or algebra I, which was already the plan.

Edited by Deniseibase
can't spell at this hour

Definitely happy with the experience, and I did find the information useful. We were never in it for awards ceremonies -- actually we participated through an out-of-region talent search, so there were no state award ceremonies for our area anyway, and the classes were not conveniently located... Really I just wanted data, and they provided plenty!

I'm still debating it because last year there were no CA test centers and we had to go up to Reno. I do think it was worth the one trip but some of the reasons we did it no longer apply. In terms of an assessment for planning purposes, I actually think giving an above-level ITBS would provide more useful information, and that I could do at home.

In terms of an assessment for planning purposes, I actually think giving an above-level ITBS would provide more useful information, and that I could do at home.

And doing the ITBS at home gives you the advantage of being able to actually see the test and how your child responds to it. Did he/she breeze through it? Were there some sections that were particularly difficult (even if the child did well in the end)? What types of questions gave them trouble? You don't get any of this information when the child tests outside the home.

Ds did it twice. He enjoyed it, we made it an outing with friends. But honestly? I didn't find the results terribly useful. I don't think I'll bother doing it with dd. She doesn't mind tests but doesn't enjoy them as much as ds, and I just don't think it was all that helpful.

Maybe if I were trying to use it as one more piece of information to advocate for a child in school, it could be worth it? Maybe to argue for letting a kid take classes at the high school or something?

Honestly, I felt that administering the ITBS a couple of years "up" and doing CogAT gave me a better picture of my child's strengths and weaknesses.

Yes, the EXPLORE was worthwhile for us. Having done it the same year as oral, open ended achievement testing was interesting (peabody K-12 achievement). The scores together gave us a fuller set of info than just one would have. I agree that EXPLORE isn't the best test for planning purposes and the data isn't super interesting. It is a bit of a game - timed, a particular format. However, it is good practice for moving forward to tests like the ACT and SAT and for that reason alone, I will do it.

I doubt I will do oral achievement again for my oldest. This spring hit the ceiling the first 2 areas of the test, did ok on the next 2, and kind of bombed the last 2 (still ahead of grade level - but not what we would have expected). He had to test from 4th - 12th grade on the first 2 areas and I think he just lost interest (late on a Friday of a holiday weekend!). For all purposes, I think we've ceilinged that format. I will definitely do it with my younger for at least a few more years though! That is definitely good data and easy for them to really show their stuff (oral, untimed, conversational).

For my oldest, it isn't always easy for him to show what he knows in a multi-choice format test. Reading comprehension appears to be his downfall in these tests even though he reads through high school level books and texts and appears to comprehend no problem. My DH and I never did well on these types of tests either. I think it's a combo of overthinking and anxiety, so practicing over a number of years should be helpful for him (we never got that opportunity!).

I'm torn on whether to have DD take it this year. I'm planning to use the SAT-10 out of level next year to get a better idea academically where she really is (hitting the top of an on-level test doesn't say much), and I'm a little scared that if we DON'T do the explore this year, she won't have a qualifying score because if I pick the level right, I wouldn't think she'd have those 95%+ scores. I didn't see anything on JHU's application that accounts for kids who are already being tested out of level.

I'm torn on whether to have DD take it this year. I'm planning to use the SAT-10 out of level next year to get a better idea academically where she really is (hitting the top of an on-level test doesn't say much), and I'm a little scared that if we DON'T do the explore this year, she won't have a qualifying score because if I pick the level right, I wouldn't think she'd have those 95%+ scores. I didn't see anything on JHU's application that accounts for kids who are already being tested out of level.

A child who maxes out an on-level test is unlikely to score significantly lower on a test just 1-2 years up. And I wouldn't go more than 1-2 years up for a *first* testing experience anyway.

Ds has always tested two grades above where he would be in our local public schools and still had no trouble qualifying for TIP.

It's always best to get a base-line test first, imho. Test her at grade level. As abbey said, it's a good idea to make the first testing experience positive, plus you will know what you are working with. Then, if she maxes out, you can jump to the EXPLORE, because going up one or two grades won't do much at that point.

I didn't see anything on JHU's application that accounts for kids who are already being tested out of level.

I've found that the CTY program has been pretty responsive to queries and flexible with individual situations. Same with EPGY. It's not like a certain GATE program notorious for being hard-@$$es about which specific tests they will accept as qualifying criteria.

It wouldn't be her first testing experience-she took the SAT-10 in a group administration at grade level (which was theoretically already a year up, because she's been accelerated once officially) last year, and found it "really, really easy"-but totally useless from my point of view, since all it told me was that, yes, she'd mastered grade level content. I was thinking that skipping up a grade level more or two might be more useful as far as showing me what she didn't know yet. I'm not sure how the format would be for a child who would be 7 at the time of testing, though (SAT-10 is usually in late April around here).

It wouldn't be her first testing experience-she took the SAT-10 in a group administration at grade level (which was theoretically already a year up, because she's been accelerated once officially) last year, and found it "really, really easy"-but totally useless from my point of view, since all it told me was that, yes, she'd mastered grade level content. I was thinking that skipping up a grade level more or two might be more useful as far as showing me what she didn't know yet. I'm not sure how the format would be for a child who would be 7 at the time of testing, though (SAT-10 is usually in late April around here).

Oh, that makes sense. Still, if she scored in the 98-99 percentile range, going up one or two grades won't do a lot. But I don't know the youngest age the EXPLORE can be given; it probably depends on which talent search you use.

I think you could use last year's SAT-10 for her qualifying score, too.

• 1 month later...

Ds scored high on reading section of the ITBS in Spring of 3rd grade. I had him take the EXPLORE in January of 4th. The results were not surprising. It was helpful to see how he compared to other gifted kids taking the EXPLORE test, but it was not as helpful for planning as I had hoped. As someone else mentioned, I thought the recommendations were very generic. And I already knew that his strengths lie in language arts/humanities.