Menu

Didn't realize there was an "introduction" protocol

I never posted an introduction either. I didn't know it was expected. Is there an "introduction" area, or do we just start a thread?

I'm Maus. I've had that nickname since before the advent of the World Wide Web. It's a bit of a play on my maiden name.

I lurked for several years, then finally posted once or twice a little more than a year ago. I just started posting regularly this summer.

I haven't posted on any other homeschooling forums before, but I participated regularly on the SENG forums using the same name before the forums there were taken down.

I own a blog. I owned it for two years before I first posted there. I blogged like crazy for, oh, about two weeks, and now I hardly touch it. Most of my posts there were sort of secretly addressed to my In-Laws, who, as far as I can tell, have never read it. It's public, but it names names (first names only), so ... :D My DH does web programming and data security, so he discourages me for being very personal online.

My kids have never been to public school, though we do participate in one of those charter/homeschool partnerships, so they attended classes on the charter school campus once a week. The classes are taught by fellow homeschool moms, many of whom we knew already from our co-op.

I know I've met one WTMer in real life. I got to meet and talk briefly with LittleIzumi at one of the two Park Days where we ever found anybody else in attendance. (We've tried six or eight times this summer.) I suspect I know at least one other, but I'm not sure. (If you are in Utah Valley and were a part of either Keystone or Harmony, you may know me. I'm pretty introverted, though. My son isn't, so you may know him. If my vague descriptions sound familiar, you can pm me.)

What else usually goes in an intro post?

Umm, why we homeschool, maybe? Short answer, because the local gifted program is too little, too late, and pretty inconvenient. (Only offered in one elementary in the district.) And because we love to travel.

DS will be nine this fall. DD #1 will be seven the same month. DD #2 will be two this winter. She, my dad, and I share the same birthday. We made the local news, so she's already had her fifteen seconds of fame, when she was less than 36 hours old.

You're not likely to see a picture of me. I avoid them, because I like the picture in my head better. Reality isn't all it's cracked up to be. I had what I thought was a clever avatar over on SENG, but I think I lost the image when my hard drive crashed.

Welcome! :grouphug:

I thought you were of German heritage (maus=mouse) or that you really liked the book Maus.

But there is no intro protocol.

And it was ONE person who wrote she was more likely to believe someone if there was a blog linked in the sig line. It's weird that so many people have responded to that. :confused:

Edited by unsinkable

Thanks for the welcomes, everybody!

I thought you were of German heritage (maus=mouse) or that you really liked the book Maus.
I do have German ancestors, but nothing closer than a 2nd great.

The first of the friends who started calling me "Maus" was a native German, and most of the others in that group spoke it.

DD #2 will be two this winter. She, my dad, and I share the same birthday. We made the local news, so she's already had her fifteen seconds of fame, when she was less than 36 hours old.

That's definitely different! So is it three cakes on one day? (Pure curiosity.)

Welcome here! (Of course, even if you didn't have something really "different" to share you'd still be welcome here! I'm of the mindset that the more people who are here and sharing, the better the info we have to glean from - or just enjoy.)

I agree.

I would hate to see the board fill up with posts from new members. If you stick around for a while and post, people will get to know you.

I've been here a while, but never introduced myself and just jumped in. People still refer to me as "someone" or "another poster". :tongue_smilie:

I've lurked for about 3 years and finally just joined and started posting. I guess I really didn't feel that I had much to contribute with so little homeschooling experience.

I did recently see the thread about not being believable. It scared me into adding a siggy and getting my blog going. I'm not usually a follower, but I didn't want to be labled as a "troll." Ha ha ha!