Menu

Thanks for your continued prayers about my dh...

Many of you prayed when I asked recently and I thought I'd bring it up again since a couple of people have asked me about it. I haven't updated more on the situation yet because everything is still pretty much the same. We are still in waiting mode with dh's job, and it's really hard. Continued prayer would be so appreciated.

For those that don't know, dh had a stroke last April and it resulted in him losing the required medical card for commercial driving. (DOT says he will have to go 5 years without another stroke, but he will be 64 by that time.) Therefore, he has been transferred to another position in the company, and is expecting a significant pay cut soon.

The company he works for seems to care about his situation, but they can only do so much. They can only offer him a position that is open, so they've been talking to him about the formal transfer to maintenance dept. He is very over qualified for this position, although he was told by HR that they are waiting on approval for another position that he could transfer to that would be another level up and a little better pay. So in the meantime, he is still drawing a driver's wage while doing maintenance work. We know this isn't going to go on much longer though. Commercial drivers are the highest paid employees in the company, so as you can see he is very discouraged.

The work dh is now doing in maintenance is very physical, which on one hand is good for him, but on the other hand he is still recovering from the stroke and tires very easily. He is so unsure about what direction to take with work now. Nothing seems to appeal to him anymore, but he is willing to go to a vocational rehab meeting for a program that is offered through our state. We don't know if there will be any help for him to retrain for another line of work, but he's going to see what counseling and referrals, placement, etc. is available through the program. He is also considering applying for Soc Sec disability, although we know it may be a long shot. He is 59 yo, and the pension wouldn't be the greatest unless dd and I also receive a supplement. So many things are unsure to us, and we are struggling to hold on to our home as it is already.

The post-stroke depression continues as well, so dh is in a pretty unhappy state most of the time, even with meds. (Going to the doctor next week to discuss this because maybe his dosage or Rx needs to be changed or adjusted.)

Because of all this, it's become even more critical that I increase my earnings. I am getting all set up to run Windows from my Mac so I can apply for telecommuting jobs and bring in more income while still hs'ing our dd and being at home for my elderly mom. I work out of the home one full day and an afternoon as it is, but need to be home the rest of the time. A telecommuting job would be perfect for the needs of our family. If you'd pray for a good job to open up for me during the evening hours I'd appreciate it so much.

Thank you again for your kind support, encouragement and your prayers. I feel so blessed to know that I can come here and share these needs. So many of you have reached out and it means a lot to me -- truly. I don't know where I'd be without the Hive!!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Many of you prayed when I asked recently and I thought I'd bring it up again since a couple of people have asked me about it. I haven't updated more on the situation yet because everything is still pretty much the same. We are still in waiting mode with dh's job, and it's really hard. Continued prayer would be so appreciated.

For those that don't know, dh had a stroke last April and it resulted in him losing the required medical card for commercial driving. (DOT says he will have to go 5 years without another stroke, but he will be 64 by that time.) Therefore, he has been transferred to another position in the company, and is expecting a significant pay cut soon.

The company he works for seems to care about his situation, but they can only do so much. They can only offer him a position that is open, so they've been talking to him about the formal transfer to maintenance dept. He is very over qualified for this position, although he was told by HR that they are waiting on approval for another position that he could transfer to that would be another level up and a little better pay. So in the meantime, he is still drawing a driver's wage while doing maintenance work. We know this isn't going to go on much longer though. Commercial drivers are the highest paid employees in the company, so as you can see he is very discouraged.

The work dh is now doing in maintenance is very physical, which on one hand is good for him, but on the other hand he is still recovering from the stroke and tires very easily. He is so unsure about what direction to take with work now. Nothing seems to appeal to him anymore, but he is willing to go to a vocational rehab meeting for a program that is offered through our state. We don't know if there will be any help for him to retrain for another line of work, but he's going to see what counseling and referrals, placement, etc. is available through the program. He is also considering applying for Soc Sec disability, although we know it may be a long shot. He is 59 yo, and the pension wouldn't be the greatest unless dd and I also receive a supplement. So many things are unsure to us, and we are struggling to hold on to our home as it is already.

The post-stroke depression continues as well, so dh is in a pretty unhappy state most of the time, even with meds. (Going to the doctor next week to discuss this because maybe his dosage or Rx needs to be changed or adjusted.)

Because of all this, it's become even more critical that I increase my earnings. I am getting all set up to run Windows from my Mac so I can apply for telecommuting jobs and bring in more income while still hs'ing our dd and being at home for my elderly mom. I work out of the home one full day and an afternoon as it is, but need to be home the rest of the time. A telecommuting job would be perfect for the needs of our family. If you'd pray for a good job to open up for me during the evening hours I'd appreciate it so much.

Thank you again for your kind support, encouragement and your prayers. I feel so blessed to know that I can come here and share these needs. So many of you have reached out and it means a lot to me -- truly. I don't know where I'd be without the Hive!!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I know my disabled brother receives a payment for his wife and new baby. If you are currently a homemaker with minor children I think you and your children will receive disability benefits when your dh qualifies.

:grouphug:

We will be praying for you all here. Depression is so difficult for the one suffering from it and their family (especially the spouse). I pray that the doctor is able to help.

Thanks so much! Yes, it is hard on the whole family. Our dd misses her playful dad a great deal too.

I know my disabled brother receives a payment for his wife and new baby. If you are currently a homemaker with minor children I think you and your children will receive disability benefits when your dh qualifies.

Thanks for that info. I work part-time and am looking for more work, so I don't know if that disqualifies me at all. But we do have a 12 yo dd at home. I just don't know if he will qualify, but we're thinking there's no harm in trying.

Prayers are so appreciated. Thank you!

Lucinda

Praying for you and hoping that everything works out for you and your husband. I am going through a similar ordeal (see signature). I know meds CAN sometimes exasperate depression, and that depression can inhibit recovery after a stroke. My husband is currently on disability, and my children receive SS payments. Not sure if it would be the same in your case or not. Strokes are "hard work" as my husband says, and very fatiguing. But, my husband has made a lot of progress in the last 15 months, and I'm sure your husband will continue to get better too.

Praying for you and hoping that everything works out for you and your husband. I am going through a similar ordeal (see signature). I know meds CAN sometimes exasperate depression, and that depression can inhibit recovery after a stroke. My husband is currently on disability, and my children receive SS payments. Not sure if it would be the same in your case or not. Strokes are "hard work" as my husband says, and very fatiguing. But, my husband has made a lot of progress in the last 15 months, and I'm sure your husband will continue to get better too.

Thank you so much for your comments and your prayers, jjhat7. Dh's speech therapist told him that utter fatigue, especially in the evening, is normal after a stroke, and that depression goes along with it. I think he is discouraged in so many ways about his work life, our financial stresses and frustration over not being able to speak normally, etc. All of it combined is holding up a lot of his progress. Applying for disability may be what we have to do too. I have a disabled son (bipolar disorder), and I know there can be a lot of hoops to jump through to get it though. There sure aren't any easy solutions.

Lucinda,

I'm just now reading this....will definately pray for you and the needs of your family!

If you need a shoulder, pm me anytime.

:grouphug: Sheryl

Thanks so much, Sheryl. Your prayers and your concern mean the world to me.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Lucinda, praying for your dh, for your family, and for a job to open up for you so that you can continue to spend your time at home caring for your family.

Thank you, Kristine. And I love your scripture reference under your name. Romans 8:28 is one of my life verses too. It causes me to hold on to hope during the most difficult times.

Blessings,

Lucinda

PSD is tough, because people often say "you can walk and talk what are you so depressed about", but are unaware it is really an organic rather than reactive process. And so common. It makes sense: you break your leg, your leg is weak or has neuralgia. The brain is an organ, too.

PSD is tough, because people often say "you can walk and talk what are you so depressed about", but are unaware it is really an organic rather than reactive process. And so common. It makes sense: you break your leg, your leg is weak or has neuralgia. The brain is an organ, too.

You are so right,kalanamak. Unless you've personally struggled with depression, it is a hard thing to relate to for most people.

~ Lucinda

Praying for your family!:grouphug:

It took my brother quite a few months (and a lawyer) to get his disability benefits, but between the money he received and the money each of his 4 kids received, it was well worth the effort. I don't know if it would hurt your husband's case working in maintenance now.

Praying Lucinda,:grouphug::grouphug:. I am so sorry.

Thank you for your prayers, transientChris. Despite how it all seems, I know that God is still good and is on the throne.

"You will keep him in perfect peace,

Whose mind is stayed on You,

Because he trusts in You."

Isaiah 26:3

Praying for your family!:grouphug:

It took my brother quite a few months (and a lawyer) to get his disability benefits, but between the money he received and the money each of his 4 kids received, it was well worth the effort. I don't know if it would hurt your husband's case working in maintenance now.

Thank you for your prayers, dsmith. We'll have to see about it with dh still working, but his difficulty on the job may also in the end prove he's having a hard time. Only time will tell though...we're trusting God to lead the way.

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"

Jeremiah 29:11

Lucinda,

I am praying for your DH and your family!

Thank you, unsinkable, and everyone else that is praying. Whenever we have news, I will post an update. In the meantime, I'd appreciate continued prayers.

Blessings,

Lucinda