Menu

Would you let your middle school age child

This is not a youth group. This is the middle school AWANA class. It just seemed weird to me. I mean these are really young kids. All 11-12.

In this case, I would like to change my answer to "no, not without a parent". Imho, there's a difference between paid youth leaders within a church and more casual AWANA leaders.

My oldest went when he was an 8th graders (13) and all went well. It started a lifetime of world awareness for him. My other two would have gone at 13, but they didn't offer trips that year when they reached that age. They have gone since, and, like their brother, have a much better awareness of the world since they've returned. I wish all kids could experience a little bit of life in a non first world place. It's not nearly as much of a "help the poor" type of thing as a "wow, the world is certainly different than where I grew up" type of thing.

Learning from a book or movie/TV is one thing. Being there in person is another.

Ok, my answer before reading any replies or any further details you may give: Most likely. I can't really think of a reason why I wouldn't. There may be other requirements or stipulations but I think I would totally be ok with it. That said, we are a missions minded family, and this year DH and I each went on (separate) missions trips. The plan is, from here on out, at least one of us goes per year.

Now I'll read the replies and see if I see anything else to add...

Hmm... I'm surprised how many people said No right off the bat. It really caught me off guard...:001_huh:

With being THAT young, I'm not sure. I'm thinking middle school=youth group=minimum of 12. Our children's ministry goes on missions trips in country, and ages 10-12 can go. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if DS7 jumps at his first opportunity. :)

There is also a good likelihood that if (in our circumstances) they go on a youth trip, either DH or I will be there anyway. The trip I did this year was a youth trip.

But just out of curiosity, and not to hijack or cause any drama whatsoever :) ...

Why do some of the pp's not like missions? Is it foreign missions in particular or all missions?? Just wondering. :)

Right now I am entirely ticked that they told the kids about it last night without talking to the parents about it first. My dd has a vision of a fun trip to hang out with her friends. :glare:

I hate, hate, hate that. Big trips to far away places costing lots of money should be discussed with parents FIRST, IMHO.

And after that, ideally, with only the kids whose parents have OK'd the possibility.

Otherwise it's VERY insensitive to kids whose circumstances (financial and otherwise) do not allow them to go.

• 3 weeks later...

When dd was 12, we sent her unaccompanied on a flight cross country to the opposite coast to attend a month long camp. At 13, we sent her with her team to Italy, Moldova, and Russia. I would have loved to go with her, but I simply could not afford two tickets versus one ticket at that time. She was gone for a month and it was an incredible experience for her.

This year we will be doing more traveling abroad, but this time I will be going....only because I don't want to miss out on the fun anymore! :lol:

Let me tell you, my dh and I got PLENTY of guff and push back from friends and family members on our decision to let her travel without us. But I would do it again, no regrets on our choice....only wish I could have afforded to go too.

If they aren't upfront enough to talk with the parents first I wouldn't be sending my child with them at any age. I hate that approach. I've heard people say, "if we get the kids excited the parents won't say no." No, 12 is too young. I sent dd at 16 to South America with a group of adults and young people.

If they aren't upfront enough to talk with the parents first I wouldn't be sending my child with them at any age. I hate that approach. I've heard people say, "if we get the kids excited the parents won't say no." No, 12 is too young. I sent dd at 16 to South America with a group of adults and young people.

I have never heard of them doing that. It's usually announced in the youth group or whatever. How would they get all the parents of these kids together to tell them first?? :confused:

Not trying to be argumentative, I just really don't get it...