Menu

Reasonable pay for childcare?

Have you called around to area daycares to see what they charge? A reasonable price depends on where you live. My town for example, the average rate is only $6/hr even for someone with training and experience in daycare, so not just a teen sitter. In the city I lived in before teen sitters make more per hour than I could make at work in a daycare. Daycare fees out there are WAY more as well.

4 hours per day, so 20 hrs per week with a 1 yr old would be either charged by the hour. In my town I charge $6/hr so $120/week. But like I said in the bigger city you could be looking at paying $10/hour so it really depends on where you live.

If that person is coming to my house as a "nanny" - $10-12 an hour.

Oh dear. We have a situation which is both wonderful and difficult. When we moved into our house 18 yrs ago, our dd was just a baby. We became good friends with a family two houses down that had 12 and 14 yo daughters. They had lost their teenage son to cancer the prior year. Their girls were my kids' babysitters while growing up. I could not have done grad school without them.

Now, the oldest one is a teacher and has an absolutely beautiful little girl that our family adores. Last year, my dd babysit her 2-3 days a week from roughly 8-noon, while grandpa or the aunt babysat the other two days all at the grandparents' house (the one two doors down from us). This year, my dd would babysit 5 days a week for four hours per day at the neighbors' house. If I am taking my youngest on a field trip, I will often include dd and the little one. Dd currently makes $5 per hour and the mom asked if that price was still okay. When my dd agreed last year, we thought there was going to be another teacher's child as well, which would have been more money as well. Dd is responsible for her own clothing and entertainment expenses. I don't know. I paid $5 an hour 15 years ago for two kids, so I don't have a good feel for this.

Oh dear. We have a situation which is both wonderful and difficult. When we moved into our house 18 yrs ago, our dd was just a baby. We became good friends with a family two houses down that had 12 and 14 yo daughters. They had lost their teenage son to cancer the prior year. Their girls were my kids' babysitters while growing up. I could not have done grad school without them.

Now, the oldest one is a teacher and has an absolutely beautiful little girl that our family adores. Last year, my dd babysit her 2-3 days a week from roughly 8-noon, while grandpa or the aunt babysat the other two days all at the grandparents' house (the one two doors down from us). This year, my dd would babysit 5 days a week for four hours per day at the neighbors' house. If I am taking my youngest on a field trip, I will often include dd and the little one. Dd currently makes $5 per hour and the mom asked if that price was still okay. When my dd agreed last year, we thought there was going to be another teacher's child as well, which would have been more money as well. Dd is responsible for her own clothing and entertainment expenses. I don't know. I paid $5 an hour 15 years ago for two kids, so I don't have a good feel for this.

If your dd was not doing this, would she get a regular PT job?

Home daycares charge less per hour because they can take in more children at a time. By going to someone else's house, it is limiting the sitter to only that family's children or other children they approve (like the other teacher you mention.) Therefore, it should pay more.

I don't think $5 an hour is enough if she can't even watch another child. However, if your dd is happy to do this and is okay with the $5 an hour, then let her continue to do so. If she had to take the child to a daycare, she would pay the full-time rate (WAY more than $100!)

We don't have to have a sitter often but when we do (only for DD age 2 because if I am at work, DD-7 goes to her dad's) , it is usually my 13 yo great niece and we pay her $5.00 an hour. She has only watched her 4 times, when I have had to work and DH was at the farm. She does a great job, keeps her entertained, paints her nails, fixes her hair, etc. Sarah loves going there.

If I wanted a regular sitter who was an adult (18 is an adult), I think the minimum I could expect to pay is $200/week for 20 hours. And I would tip generously in December and around the sitter's birthday, because I liked the person and wanted to make sure she continued liking working with my dc.

At $5/hour I think your dd is waaaay underpaid. And unfortunately rectifying that is awkward. I think your dd should find out going rates in your area and present them to her employer. If your dd is responsible, reliable and the child is happy in her care, the parent should be willing to bump up pay.

In evaluating pay, I've found that sporadic night jobs (weekend date night for mom and dad) tend to pay slightly more than consistent day time jobs, so that would a consideration in evaluating the pay scale and negotiating a reasonable pay. The other consideration is what kind of job the parent has. You said she's a teacher. If she teachers public school she should have no problem paying $10/hour. If she's an instructional assistant or a preschool teacher or teaching private school her salary may be too low to double your dd's current pay rate, but she should ad something.

$5 is too little. I don't know of anyone who pays such a low rate, and I do not live in an expensive area.

My (then) 2 year old and I sat my friend's 2 year old during the day last year. Twice a week, I was there when her 12 year old came home from school. It ended up being 15-20 hours a week, and I charged her $5 an hour. BUT, the youngest girl was/is my daughter's best friend, and my husband and I are close to the family. I knew the family could not afford to pay more than that, and many weeks, even that was a stretch.

All that said, $5 is not enough unless you are doing a HUGE favor for a very good friend. If I had cared about the money, it would not have been worth it.

If I wanted a regular sitter who was an adult (18 is an adult), I think the minimum I could expect to pay is $200/week for 20 hours. And I would tip generously in December and around the sitter's birthday, because I liked the person and wanted to make sure she continued liking working with my dc.

$10 an hour for one child?! That seems like a lot. I paid a babysitter this summer $10 an hour to watch my four youngest!

$10 an hour for one child?! That seems like a lot. I paid a babysitter this summer $10 an hour to watch my four youngest!

It all depends on the going rate where you live. That's why I said to survey the rates people charge locally. I don't get a sitter often anymore, but that's really what I've paid for someone responsible for one child--had to have a sitter for youngest once this summer. 8 years ago I paid that for 3 children to someone younger than 18. And that really was the minimum I could pay him and expect he'd keep coming to my house when I needed him. I tried not to need a sitter often.

i think it really really depends on the area. 4 years ago my son was watched in someone else's home and she charged me $20 a day:D. I have friends who have had their children in home daycare and they pay between 40-75 a day for a FULL day of care. My one friend who has a nanny come into her home pays the nanny $10 an hour to watch two children. I guess it really depends on the general rates where you live

If you were a working mom with one child, about a year old, what would you consider to be a reasonable amount to pay a responsible 18 yo to care for your child 4 hours a day, M-F?

Minimum wage here is $10/hr. I would expect to pay AT LEAST that much. Depending on the person's experience and what I ask her to do, I would go up to $14/hr.

There is a difference between paying an occasional teenage babysitter and a regular nanny/babysitter. An occasional babysitter gives you that one time availability, but her daughter is agreeing to sit 20 hours a week for the school year - that's a much larger commitment. Your one-time babysitter could still get a regular PT job while her dd is more limited.

ETA: I would expect to pay at least minimum wage for someone guaranteeing me 20 hours a week availability on a regular schedule. I would pay less to someone who would come sit occasionally when he/she had time to.

Edited by Renee in FL