Menu

Hurricane Irene is coming!

Would you stay for a hurricane or evacuate?  

1. 1. Would you stay for a hurricane or evacuate?

• Yes, I'll stay.
    • No, I'm outta here!
    • I'll stay if it's a Cat 1 or 2.
    • Other

By the time the answer is clear, it'll be obvious to everyone else, so they'll be on the road with you. Still thinking of all those out-of-gas cars during Hurricane Rita. (not to mention the bus that caught fire...ugh!)

Hey OP, is your name really "Wyndie?" Or is that just for this thread?

No, not Wyndie, I think you confused me and another poster. My name really is Mindy though :)

I am SO. NOT. In. the. MOOOD. for this!!!

*really* NOT in the mood!!!!!!!!!!

We close on our house on Thursday afternoon.

I have No. Idea. waht we are going to do. We've been through a head on 2 and a head on 3 before (different states). So, I'm not too worried about a Cat 3. But, really..... I. Am. NOT. in. the. MOOD.

In the past 5 months....

We've had a major earthquake and lots and lots of "aftershocks".

We've had to deal with Fukashima.

We've moved, twice.

We haven't been "home" in 5 months.

And now..... my Dh finally made Chief (USN E7) and we are in the middle of "chief's season" with ONE CAR and are living in a hotel.

This needs to just miss us. I'll deal with a hurricane next year. I do NOT have the patience for it.

Kris, who is going back to lurking

We live in Florida, but on the Gulf coast. As of now it isn't set to impact us (but having lived here 10 years...I now how that can change) but we live in a non-evacuation zone so we wouldn't leave even if it did come our way. Praying that it stays out in the Atlantic and doesn't come ashore anywhere in the US!

XH and I were in PCB, ON the beach during Allison in 95. Or was it 96? It was only a cat one though. We were doing the tourist thing....hanging on the beach and in our own little world....by the time we realized there was an evacuation order we really couldn't leave. Rode it out in Panama City with the daughter of the man's whose condo we were using. Turned out to be no big deal at all. I think it went to the east of PC.

We live in Greenville, about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from Charleston -our favorite city in the US to visit! I hope and pray Charleston's beauty and historical culture is preserved, and Irene stays away from our state -- or everyone else's state for that matter :D

I remember Hugo's fury on Charleston back in the 1990's ... and the damage it caused Greenville. Yikes, I wouldn't want to stay in Charleston if it was higher than a cat 2.

I would stay for a 1 or 2, not 3 or above if I was in the evacuation area. That's the key - in the evacuation area. People who aren't in evacuation areas but decide to leave anyway add to the traffic problem. We saw that over and over in 2004. People panicked and tried to get out of town. Some had to go as far as Atlanta to even find a hotel with rooms available. Some sat in traffic on major highways for hours, with kids and pets in the car. We stayed through Charley, Frances, and Jeanne. If we had been told to evacuate for any of them, we would have.

As for Irene, it keeps moving farther away from the east coast of Florida, and it's not expected to come west again. We're expecting a wet and windy few days, but that's all. However, we'll keep watch and be prepared as always.

OH no honey I am so very sorry that is just wrong.

anyway, at the moment the plan is the camping trip is off.

I am SO. NOT. In. the. MOOOD. for this!!!

*really* NOT in the mood!!!!!!!!!!

We close on our house on Thursday afternoon.

I have No. Idea. waht we are going to do. We've been through a head on 2 and a head on 3 before (different states). So, I'm not too worried about a Cat 3. But, really..... I. Am. NOT. in. the. MOOD.

In the past 5 months....

We've had a major earthquake and lots and lots of "aftershocks".

We've had to deal with Fukashima.

We've moved, twice.

We haven't been "home" in 5 months.

And now..... my Dh finally made Chief (USN E7) and we are in the middle of "chief's season" with ONE CAR and are living in a hotel.

This needs to just miss us. I'll deal with a hurricane next year. I do NOT have the patience for it.

Kris, who is going back to lurking

The water bob thing looks weird. is it just a one time use? Did you look at just buying a water filter. We still have ours from when we lived in Uganda.

It's reusable. A filter would be great as long as we had running water. Around here it's not uncommon to be without power and water for days at a time after a hurricane.

It's reusable. A filter would be great as long as we had running water. Around here it's not uncommon to be without power and water for days at a time after a hurricane.

really? (honestly just curious), the stuff at that site said it wasn't.

the filter we have is able to pump the water too I think, been a long time, anyway we have rain barrels anyway that we could use but I'm pretty sure it worked on a pumping situation.

We didn't offically lose water during Isabel but there were rummors that we were suppose to boil the water, we had stored enough that we didn't have to worry about it.

and we had no power for 10 days.

We only left once, for Isabelle, when I was 7 months pregnant with #2 and had a toddler. My parents took us in and they got the storm worse than we did at home. We traveled home from no power to our home with power and no problems. It was strange. We usually stay put and make sure we have the essentials. If we were told to leave we would.

Maybe the hive can do a prayer group for those in the path.

That's always a great idea. :)

Hey OP, is your name really "Wyndie?" Or is that just for this thread?

Not the OP but my name really is Wyndie. I was super creative with my username and all. :glare:

I'll stay put. I would rather be caught in my house than trapped on the highway with no way to move like what happened a few years back.

Me too honestly.

We have no family to evacuate to. With fatal allergies to touching food, there is only one family member who can accommodate us and she lives in FL. :lol: So while we would consider evacuating now if we could, we honestly can't. Hotels are no safer than a house... as people spend most of their time in hotel rooms eating. There's no where for us to go but I grew up in FL and am used to the "hunker down" approach. ;)

I said I am out of here but I voted like I would have if I lived where I used to live, Satellite Beach, FL which is an island community. They would evacuate us for a hurricane, I believe, since the causeways get closed and then you have no choice.

Yes, the barrier islands are usually the first to be given an evacuation order. Satellite Beach was hit pretty hard by Frances and Jeanne in '04.

The last really big one (2003), what was it named? It was like a 5 or something and charged up here to VA just 2 weeks after we moved into our new home. Our family room has 2 16 foot tall walls with 12 windows on each wall. I was PANICKED that it would bring down the whole dang family room! We were fine but it really rocked and rolled the house. If it comes up as a 1 when it reached the DC area it will be fine for us. We are inland. If we were to take a direct hit by anything above a 3 I would leave if we couldn't find a generator to buy.

It's not reusable. I thought it was too and picked it as a freebie when I ordered my water filter. I found this on the water bob website:

When fresh water is no longer needed, slit the side of the liner and drain the remaining water. The bladder should be disposed and recycled.

If I'd known that I wouldn't have bothered getting it. I guess I'll only use this if I know we are going to get hit directly. It did cross my mind how we would get it dry enough not to mold. I guess you can't.

That is what I thought when I read it. Seems like you might as well just fill some containers for your cooking/drinking use, and fill the bathtub with water for other use.

I have a neighbor who keeps his hurricane supplies in a plastic garbage can. He then fills the can with water to use.

It's not reusable. I thought it was too and picked it as a freebie when I ordered my water filter. I found this on the water bob website:

When fresh water is no longer needed, slit the side of the liner and drain the remaining water. The bladder should be disposed and recycled.

If I'd known that I wouldn't have bothered getting it. I guess I'll only use this if I know we are going to get hit directly. It did cross my mind how we would get it dry enough not to mold. I guess you can't.

Y'all are right, it is disposable. :thumbdown:

We've had it since '04 (after the hurricanes) & obviously not used it, and I forgot the particulars of it. Thankfully, it looks like we're not going to take a direct hit this time, so I guess we'll save the water bob for another time. Thanks for refreshing my memory. :)

Edited by serene

Y'all are right, it is disposable. :thumbdown:

We've had it since '04 (after the hurricanes) & obviously not used it, and I forgot the particulars of it. Thankfully, it looks like we're not going to take a direct hit this time, so I guess we'll save the water bob for another time. Thanks for refreshing my memory. :)

oh man sorry.

I was wondering.