Menu

Gah!! This dog is annoying!

I'll trade you your dog for my puppy that cried/whined/barked from 4am to 6am this morning.

He is a 13 year old shelter dog that we've had for 10 years. He is sweet, but he has lots of baggage. He *also* barked and cried all night last night due to thunderstorms. He only slept through the first part of the night because I gave him Benadryl before the storm got here.

He may need another dose...Hey we should set up a poll...Anyone ever unnecessarily medicate their dog?;)

My sister's G'sheppard had to sleep in the tub during thunder storms due to his baggage.

He is a 13 year old shelter dog that we've had for 10 years. He is sweet, but he has lots of baggage. He *also* barked and cried all night last night due to thunderstorms. He only slept through the first part of the night because I gave him Benadryl before the storm got here.

I am very happy that my rescue dog does not have any thunderstorm baggage. He does sit pitifully at the window when the kids go outside without him.

His big baggage is nail guns. He is terrified of the noise they make. When my neighbor was doing some roofing work the poor dog refused to go out all day.

Our Sophie does not like storms either. She will dig at her bed in her crate and actually try to get out (she has succeeded a couple of times when we weren't home).

If we leave her out though she finds a spot that she likes and stays there. She's quiet when she's out in the house, but not in her crate...she'll just do this little whine in there. She's a velcro dog with me, but way worse when a storm is approaching.

I don't know how to help a dog through a storm, but here's something to try for the whiners and barkers at the door looking for their masters:

Tell the dog good-bye in dog language before leaving. That means the kids heading out the door need to wag their "tails" at Rover on their way out the door. Not swishing their hineys, but swishing their hands behind them like a tail.

Sounds dumb, but it worked for our own pound-hound who came with multiple issues - and I didn't know about this little trick until he was a good 16 years old, so it's never too late. Made a world of difference in how he handled being left behind. I dogsit for my son sometimes, and I make him wave his "tail" goodbye to Lily on his way out my door, or else she goes bonker at the window for hours. Now she just walks away calmly and falls asleep.

BTW, I read about this in a little kid's book entitled "How to Talk to Your Dog" or something like that.

How does one medicate a dog? As in, with what medication and how do you figure out the dose? We are about to do a road trip with our new pound puppy. She does fine around town, but I'm not sure how she will do on a long trip and want to be prepared. :)

Oh, and dh had to get me up at 4:30 this morning because he let her out when he got home from work, but she wouldn't com back in with him standing there. She would run up to the door, but wouldn't actually come in even when he walked a few steps away. As soon as I opened the door she came right in and followed me to bed. Apparently she has baggage too.

Anyone know what to do with an annoying cat? My cat is 10 years old. He didn't use to meaow much (at least to me) until we moved here. We changed time zones and apparently he doesn't like that. He keeps wanting me to wake up around 5:30 am (which would be 6;30am, the time I woke up in VA). His meows are very loud. He also doesn't like it at all that middle daughter left for college.

Then my dog has decided that although he doesn't need to lick himself or anything else before sleeping at any other time, when we are trying to go to sleep, that is the time he needs to incessantly lick something- sometimes it is his paws, sometimes the comforter that is hanging down, sometimes something else.

I have a yipper that barks every single time that someone rings the bell, knocks on the door or even opens the door (even if it is us going out the door). He also barks if he hears any of the sounds on the tv. I thought he was going to drive me insane during the Republican debate because he barked everytime they rang the bell. :glare:

I've seen the vests or whatever that you can use during storms and fireworks.... Perhaps something like that would help when he's scared/unsure...:)

How does one medicate a dog? As in, with what medication and how do you figure out the dose? We are about to do a road trip with our new pound puppy. She does fine around town, but I'm not sure how she will do on a long trip and want to be prepared. :)

I would try it before the trip, instead of first on it. Also, there are kennels that are more narrow than ones you generally purchase for the house. If you train them for the kennel, road trips are easier... and staying in hotels...etc. :)

I'm glad I wouldn't be alone. I've been know to remind my sister to bring his meds.

Think I would be the only one to answer yes to both the dog and kid poll? :tongue_smilie:

Not the only one. I would answer yes too. I kept our chihuahua pretty sleepy for our road trip this summer.;)