Menu

National Parks

Went to a National Park today and walked in the wagon wheel tracks left from the Oregon Trail. Pretty cool.

I stood next to the wagon you can see here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitman_Mission_National_Historic_Site

I went to the Whitman Mission in Walla Walla. It was awesome and in some places, rather holy.

Fun day. :)

Anyone else enjoy National Parks? I love them.

Where have you been, what did you see?

Edited by one*mom

We went to a state park near Paragould AR-Crowley's Ridge, I believe. Wonderful! There were cool buildings/structures made by the CCC, a spring-fed lake with pedal boats, and the cabins are nicer than some hotels for a price that is amazing! They also had a hiking trail with a suspension bridge!

If you live anywhere near, you gotta go there! And it can be educational if the kids study up on the geological/topographical feature from which it gets its name.

Lakota

We love the National Parks. We've been to many of them including Shennandoah, Rocky Mountain, Yellowstone, Cape Hatterras, Joshua Tree and Montezuma's Castle. Oh, I can't forget the Grand Canyon. Dh is from Flagstaff, AZ and loves the Grand Canyon.

Glad you had a great time at one of the parks. They really are national treasures.

Denise

We have been to historic Jamestowne, we saw glass that had been dug up from the glassworks run by the original British settlers.

Dh and I have been to Sequoia where we drove through the big tree (do they still allow that?).

I have been to Yosemite and seen Bridal Falls and Halfdome.

I have been to Alcatraz Island and have seen the prison.

We have been to Fort Sumter and stood where the Civil War began.

We have been to Volcanoes National Park in Hawai'i and we went inside an inactive lava tube. We also saw earth that had only recently formed.

We have been to the National Mall where we saw too many things to even mention one for fear or leaving out too much.

Dh and I have been to the Grand Canyon where we saw storms moving across the canyon.

We have been to a lot of national parks! I am sure I am forgetting some!

Mrs. Mungo, my father used to work on Alcatraz as a weapons inspector. I've never seen it.

If I were going to go there though, I'd listen to a boatload of Johnny Cash on the way over. Did you ever see the old black and white movie, "Birdman of Alcatraz?" I remember seeing that as a kid.

I'd love to see the Hawaii lava fields. Whew!

I did see Haleakala National Park in Maui. And it is one of those things you can't describe, it's just too big.

One of my favorites was Springfield. My oldest daughter did a year long study prior to the trip. We cried the whole way through our stay there. It was just too much. I went to pieces when I saw a small piece of Mary Todd's gown.

I knew the back story behind the burial site, but it didn't matter. When I got inside the Tomb, I was f.i.n.i.s.h.e.d.! I felt like I was lifting out of my shoes.

Oh, I went to Haleakala my senior yr. of high school (we lived on Oahu at the time). I thought it must be what Mars looks like! It was a wonderful trip. Maui is beautiful.

I forgot that the National Mall is considered a park. We lived in the D.C. area for 16 yrs. and spent a lot of time down on the mall. Washington, D.C. is one of the prettiest cities in the nation. It's also a lot of fun.

Denise

We love National Parks here!:)

Been to:

Sequoia: incredible! The size of those trees really put your own life in perspective.

Yosemite: The road leading to Glacier Point has a turn that literally took my breath away. I seriously almost started weeping because the view of the Sierra Nevada range was so beautiful.

Redwood: So peaceful and beautiful. We saw a nest of Condors.

Lassen Volcanic: This is on of the least visited parks in the system. It was quiet and not spectacular like the others but the drive is pretty dicey.;)

Crater Lake: Incredibly beautiful! The color of the Lake is unreal.

Grand Canyon: Sunset ove the Canyon was fantastic!

Zion: The mountains in there are amazing colors.

Bryce Canyon: Sunrise over the Hoodoos was one of my favorite things I've ever seen.

Arches: Climbing up to Double Arch was a blast.

Rocky Mountain: My favorite because of it's sheer majesty. Being in the midst of 14,000 foot peaks almost seems unreal. I think the highest point on the road through the park was over 12,000 ft. You stand and look below you where the tree line stops.

Grand Teton: I am in love with this range. We hiked a 5 mile trail to a lake and saw a moose munching on a snack just a few feet away from us.

Yellowstone: The grandaddy of them all! ;) We saw so much there! Geysers, an eagle's nest, more bison than we could count, and even a grizzly.

Great Smoky Mountain: So beautiful! We only had a few hours there so didn't see much but the scenery was amazing.

We've also been to Jamestown settlement and the National Mall.:)

We try to incorporate a National Park into our vacations whenever we are close enough to one.

Yellowstone was amazing. I kept thinking how vulnerable & small I was there. When I had dinner at the Lodge I was just overwhelmed with the history inside, the building itself. How can you pull yourself together enough to eat in a place like that?

I was also exhausted from fear from the gang walks, the sulphur was overwhelming and folks were NOT keeping their little ones close by. Most nerve wracking experience *ever*.

Fall in one of those and you will be boiled.no.questions.asked. No second chance.

I really want to see Crater Lake. It's a bit of a drive from here, but is on the list.

The redwoods knocked me out completely. I launched into this poetic and majestic mood. The trees there have more soul than some people I've met.

I felt so insignificant. Nothing.

The redwoods knocked me out completely. I launched into this poetic and majestic mood. The trees there have more soul than some people I've met.

I felt so insignificant. Nothing.

Ain't that the truth! You can almost hear them speak can't you? They are so mysterious.

And, I agree on the stupid people letting their kids get too close to the springs. Not to mention the people who try to pose for pictures within a few yards of a bison!

Of course, I'm the mom who barked at her kids, "Don't fall into the Grand Canyon!!" They just looked at me and rolled their eyes and said, "Uh, Mom, I'm pretty sure we know not to fall into the Grand Canyon.";)

We went to a state park near Paragould AR-Crowley's Ridge, I believe. Wonderful! There were cool buildings/structures made by the CCC, a spring-fed lake with pedal boats, and the cabins are nicer than some hotels for a price that is amazing! They also had a hiking trail with a suspension bridge!

If you live anywhere near, you gotta go there! And it can be educational if the kids study up on the geological/topographical feature from which it gets its name.

Lakota

My grandfater was a young boy in the CCC and helped build those structures. Right after he left the CCC he entered WWII. It is one of my favorite places to visit. :001_smile:

I live near a national park and love all the historical opportunites we have had for study and adventure. Since she mentioned Arkansas, my favorite national park sites here are Hot Springs and Little Rock Central High School .

We had to stop several times on the way into Yellowstone due to bison in the road.

There is this glare that a bison gives off that is just bone chilling, they look you right in the eye like a dare. Like they'd enjoy stomping you to death. Like they want it. Like they are genetically programmed to seek revenge for the slaughter during the development of the West.

"Go ahead Lady, just get your pretty little self out of the car.."

We stopped at some ridiculously high priced tourist trap that day, and I felt like I was getting some sort of revenge when I ate my first bison burger.

Smiled all the way through it.

They are intimidating as it gets. I can't imagine wanting to pose by one.

Did you see the photos there at Yellowstone of people doing the bear thing by the tour wagons back in the day?

Good Lord, what where they thinking! :svengo:

Man, I would love to see the Little Rock area. That would be awesome.

Have you ever read about the history of the famous photo from there? The relationship clash the women had?

Heartbreaking as it gets.

Went to a National Park today and walked in the wagon wheel tracks left from the Oregon Trail. Pretty cool.

I stood next to the wagon you can see here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitman_Mission_National_Historic_Site

I went to the Whitman Mission in Walla Walla. It was awesome and in some places, rather holy.

I bet you would love City of Rocks National Reserve. Check out the history information on link. It is an incredible experience to see the signatures. And the area itself is stunning.

I've not yet met a National Park Service site I didn't love. :D

We have been to

Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef (all NP), Natural Bridges, Cedar Breaks (all NM) in Utah

Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest in AZ

Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon in CA

Black canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde (NP), Colorado NM in CO

Death Valley in NV

Crater Lake in OR

Olympic, North Cascades in WA

National Scenic Riverways in MO

Great Smokies in TN

Shenandoah in KY

We love hiking in the desert and canyons in Utah, the mountains in CA, rock climbing in Joshua Tree... such a beautiful country! I would ahve a hard time naming my favorite.

Death Valley, the first week of March 2005, dwarfs any National Park experience I've ever had. The hills were covered in purples and whites and gold. The salt flats were covered in water and we even spotted a few kayakers on Badwater Basin. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7182113/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/death-valley-alive-wildflowers/ I will never ever forget it.

I've lived in California for almost eight years, but I've yet to visit Yosemite. We were thinking about visiting this year. but the gorgeous snowpack melt has led to 14 fatalities. My oldest is five--it will be several years before I'll get up the nerve to let my babies go.

Christine

We used to live about 5 min. from the entrance to Olympic Nat'l Park--we went ALL the time.

We've also been to Yellowstone, Crater Lake, Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, and Lewis & Clark Nat'l Historical Park. My kids are proud Jr. Rangers at 3 of them.

I'll take our nat'l park trips over Disneyland any day.

I've been to Mt. Rainier & Mt. St. Helens.

I love staying at the Doubletree in Portland where you can see all three ranges from the window out the room.

Both those mountains have really spooky histories. Seeing the blast line at Mt. St. Helens really is an experience.

*have rocks* from both..lol..

I haven't been to Lewis and Clark yet...must hunt this spot up. They traveled thru here and camped in several areas nearby. I still haven't come to final conclusions on their journey. I only know that once it was over the tragedies that followed were just so unfair for men like that.

When we went through the Bitter Root Mountains, I really thought those were far worse than the Cascades for foot travel. It's amazing the things they went through.

Roosevelt Park was pretty awesome. That's another place one feels pretty dang small.

I've been to the following:

New Mexico: Carlsbad Caverns

Arizona: Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon

California: Redwood

Texas: San Antonio Missions

Virginia: Jamestown (as a teenager)

Hawaii: Haleakala

I would love to go to many more. My sister loves national parks and has been to a ton!

Edited by Rhonda in TX
forgot one!

I just adore the National Parks.

We went to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons this summer and it was the best vacation ever. Last summer we went to Glacier and I said the same thing.

My kids and are into the Passport thing, which makes you look for even the smaller parks. Often they are really worth it. I love the MLK one in Atlanta and the Civil Rights March one in White Hall, Alabama.

I could go on and on.

Sunset Magazine has a good issue on the stands right now about the National Parks of the West.

Grand Canyon - We watched the sunrise and the sunset over the canyon, hiked part way down (and found I really enjoy hiking!), and saw mule deer in our campsite. What an amazing work of God!

Zion - We loved Zion. It was so beautiful and we saw so much wildlife. We loved the Emerald Falls and Weeping Rock (water coming out of porous rock all over the place.) I wish we could have hiked up the Narrows but the water level was too high...we saw amazing pictures online!

We also stood in some wagon ruts in Oregon not too far from Mt. Hood. There were a few sites there along the Oregon Trail. We actually saw Barlow Road where they had to lower the wagons down with rope.

Redwoods - Amazing gigantic, beautiful trees that smells sooo good. We drove through a redwood tree too!

We went to the End of the Oregon Trail site, as well as the end of the Lewis & Clark trail at Seaside and saw Fort Clatsop.

I could go on and on. We saw so many historic sites last summer. Homeschooling is so cool! :hurray:

I would love to go back east and see all that we have studied!

We went to a lot back when the boys were younger--I don't know if some of these are National or State Parks--

Shennandoah, Rocky Mountain, Yellowstone, Cape Hatterras, Grand Teton, Acadia (in ME), Palo Duro, Cuyahoga Falls in OH (grew up there--it wasn't a Nat'l Park then!), Everglades, Palo Duro Canyon in TX, and probably more. We have visited a lot of states! We have the passport for each child, and they have quite a few pages filled (esp the boys).

I loved the hot, muddy pools at Yellowstone--the colors were amazing!

I hiked in the Rockies on my honeymoon--at the time, I was less than thrilled because it was not my idea of a honeymoon, but I've been back, since, and I know my husband took me to the most beautiful place he had ever been.

We've been to more National and State Parks than I can count. They are usually the focus of our travels as we are nature people, not city people. ;)

Our favorites at this point include:

Yellowstone

Badlands

Bryce

Volcanoes

Dry Tortugas

Chaco Canyon

Mesa Verde

Carlsbad

Arches

Zion

Sequoia

Shenandoah

Glacier

Crater Lake

Grand Tetons

I ran out of time... gotta go - sorry! But yes, enjoy the parks!

Yay for National Parks! We've been to:

Boston National Historic Park

Fort McHenry (hoping to visit again this fall, with the kids)

Catoctin Mountain Park (I feel like we've been there; I know we've hiked around there, even if we've not been to the specific Park, and it's gorgeous.)

I feel like we've been to Fort Washington as well but can't remember.

Harper's Ferry National Park

Historic Jamestowne

Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Wright Brothers National Memorial

various parts of the Appalachian Trail

Gettysburg National Military Park

Valley Forge National Historic Park

I wonder if Disneyland could be considered a National Park. Just kidding! :lol:

We've been there too many times to possibly count. :D

All kidding aside...If you haven't been up to Oregon, you should go see Fort Stevens and Fort Clatsop. There are a lot of historic sites up there around the Oregon Trail.