Menu

Picked 10 pounds of fresh blueberries... need your favorite recipes!

(hanging my head in shame because I accidentally cross-posted this on the curriculum board) :blush:

Ok... I've got about 1/4 of them in the freezer, made some blueberry corn bread (just mixed them into the recipe). When that comes out of the oven I have some biscuit-type shortcake to go in for blueberry shortcake w/ whipped cream. I found a recipe for lemon-blue berry pancakes online...

Lemon Blueberry Pancakes

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 egg
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • [1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, or use frozen thawed blueberries

PREPARATION:

Beat egg until frothy; beat in remaining ingredients except blueberries, beating just until smooth. Gently stir in blueberries. Grease a heated griddle. For each pancake, pour about 3 tablespoons of batter from a large spoon or from pitcher onto the hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other side until golden brown.

Please keep those ideas coming! I still have a HUGE bowl of blueberries here!

It's delicious! The recipe:

http://myfunnybunch.blogspot.com/2006/08/blueberry-cobbler.html

(Scroll past the blabbering-- the recipe itself is at the bottom of the post.)

I made blueberry jam last year by whirling the berries in the food processor to deal with the skins. It was fabulous!! I use Pomona's pectin for low-sugar jam, and the jam really did taste like fresh blueberries. I plan to make more than one batch this year because it was such a hit.

Cat

Adults love it too!:)

Blueberry Buckle (aka, blueberry coffee cake)

2 C Flour

3/4 C Sugar

2 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder

3/4 tsp. Salt

1/4 C Shortening

3/4 C Milk

1 Egg

2 C Well Drained Blueberries

Topping

1/2 C Sugar

1/3 C Flour

1/2 tsp. Cinnamon

1/4 C Soft Butter or Margarine

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 8x8 or 9x9 pan. Blend all ingredients except blueberries and Topping. Beat vigorously for 30 seconds. Gently fold in blueberries. Spread in pan.

Sprinkle Topping over batter and use a butter knife to swirl it into the batter a bit. (I love to make a double batch of the Topping and get it into the batter really well...YUM!):D:D

ETA: Where in the world did you find ripe blueberries at this time of year??? We usually go in mid-July and pick about 25 pounds. I wish we could go now....:(

I went to your blog and instead of reading past your "blabbering" I enjoyed a few minutes of wonderful tears!!!!!!!! What a sweet post. We plan on going blueberry pickin' this year for the first time and I pray I will make such tender memories- not perfect ones-except in the retelling!

Thank you!!!!!!

Lorie

...and I can't wait!!! Here's a SUPER easy one that is a family favorite, and you really can't mess it up (there are not really measurements for this one, and all ingredients can be adjusted to taste):

You'll need blueberries, fruit juice, sugar (optional), one box of yellow cake mix, 1-2 sticks butter

Pour enough blueberries in a 9x13 glass baking dish to cover the bottom about 2 berries deep. Pour a small amount (maybe a quarter cup) of fruit juice over berries (we use apple juice, but many kinds or even water will do). Sprinkle about a quarter cup of sugar evenly over berries (optional). Pour dry cake mix over berries, spread evenly over berries. Thinly slice butter stick and place butter squares so they are covering the dry cake mix. Bake at 350-375 degrees for 30 minutes or until top is golden and juices are bubbly.

This is good with ice cream, and it is good either cold or hot. Enjoy!

...and I can't wait!!! Here's a SUPER easy one that is a family favorite, and you really can't mess it up (there are not really measurements for this one, and all ingredients can be adjusted to taste):

You'll need blueberries, fruit juice, sugar (optional), one box of yellow cake mix, 1-2 sticks butter

Pour enough blueberries in a 9x13 glass baking dish to cover the bottom about 2 berries deep. Pour a small amount (maybe a quarter cup) of fruit juice over berries (we use apple juice, but many kinds or even water will do). Sprinkle about a quarter cup of sugar evenly over berries (optional). Pour dry cake mix over berries, spread evenly over berries. Thinly slice butter stick and place butter squares so they are covering the dry cake mix. Bake at 350-375 degrees for 30 minutes or until top is golden and juices are bubbly.

This is good with ice cream, and it is good either cold or hot. Enjoy!

We make one VERY similar to this one...

Makes: 9x13 pan

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cook Time: 45 mins

Ready In: 55 mins

Servings: 10

Ingredients

• 20 OUNCE CAN CRUSHED PINEAPPLE - DO NOT DRAIN

• 3 CUPS BLUEBERRIES

• 3/4 CUP SUGAR

• 1 YELLOW CAKE MIX

• 1 STICK BUTTER

• 1/4 CUP SUGAR

• 1 CUP PECANS, CHOPPED

Directions

• PREHEAT OVEN TO 350

• BUTTER A 9X13 BAKING DISH

• COAT BLUEBERRIES WITH 3/4 SUGAR, SET ASIDE

• POUR PINEAPPLE INTO DISH, THEN BLUEBERRIES

• SPRINKLE DRY CAKE MIX OVER FRUIT

• MELT BUTTER AND DRIZZLE OVER MIX

• SPRINKLE 1/4 CUP SUGAR AND CHOPPED PECANS ON TOP

• DO NOT STIR

• BAKE 45 MINUTES

2 c. flour

3/4 c. sugar

2 t. baking powder

1/2 t. baking soda

1/4 t. salt

2 eggs

3/4 c. buttermilk

1/2 c. melted butter

1 1/2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Beat together eggs, butter and buttermilk. Add this mixture to dry ingredients and mix lightly. Stir in blueberries. Spoon into greased muffin pan. (I use muffin papers instead.) Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes 12 very large muffins. Ummmmmm.

I love blueberries!

My favorite way is to just eat them raw.

Next, I love to make cobblers (crumbly topping) and crisps (biscuit type topping).

I also love fresh blueberries on a small bowl of grape nuts with a splash of half-n-half on it.

I would freeze the rest for pancakes or muffins.