Menu

Ikea Hemnes Bedroom Series

My daughter has the Hemnes bedside table, three-drawer chest and wardrobe in white. We have the 6 drawer chest, queen bedframe and bedside tables in brown.

I love the look of it, but... as always with Ikea furniture, it's important to remember that you do get what you pay for. It's attractive and inexpensive, but it's not going to be furniture that'll last a lifetime.

We have the nightstands, which have held up fine for 5 years. They are pine, so they scratch fairly easily, but they're in a pretty low traffic position. I also have the leksvik dressers (because when I went to buy the matching dressers to my nightstands, the Hemnes didn't come in the antique stain) and those have been a huge pain - I'm always having to tighten up connectors and deal with drawers popping apart. However, for me its not too big of a deal, considering how much more affordable they were.

We have a twin bed, night stand, and large dresser in my daughter's room. We've had it for around 7 years. It has all held up fine. We had some trouble with the dresser drawer bottom sagging. We went to IKEA and they gave/sold (I don't remember which) us a little thing to screw on the bottom of the drawer. I'm guessing that the construction has improved over the last few years. I would buy Hemnes with no reservation.

I always love the idea of IKEA. But the reality of IKEA bites me every time. We have the Hemnes tall dresser in white. We have hated it from the start. The drawers are flimsy and my husband has had to repair/jimmyrig them so many times I've lost count. DH says to me all the time, "NO MORE IKEA!" Silly me, I recently paid $40 for a cute IKEA toddler bed off of Craigslist. Of course, the mattress slats fall out every stinking day and we hate it. Our house is like a graveyard of failed Ikea experiments (although we do have a couple of bookshelves that have worked out well!)

We have the IKEA Hemnes night stands, the tall dresser and the shorter, big long 8-drawer dresser in white in our room. We have had them for 4 years and they are fantastic for us, look like new and for us they have been very sturdy.

Some IKEA stuff is terrible, other items are gems. You do have to be careful but this line, Hemnes, has been great for many. One thing to bear in mind is that it is really dependent on putting it together very, very well.

We are going to get the boys a blue Hemnes dresser soon.

We have the Hemnes bed in white (king), the night stands in white, the tall dresser in brown and the wide dresser in brown. We also have the bench in brown, but I'm not certain that's Hemnes. We've had everything for a few years and never had a problem with them scratching or falling apart. I love them. I like that we mixed colors because all white would have been too white and all brown would have been too dark. I don't know that I'd like the dressers in white because I could see where they might scratch. Our bed and night stands haven't scratched at all though. We've had them 4 years. We're going to upgrade Indy's bed from the Leksvik extendable bed (toddler bed to twin) to the Hemnes twin (brown), which is slightly nicer and not so low to the ground.

I would (and apparently will) by it again. It's not furniture for life, but it's fine for 10-15 years. BTW, we move every 2-3 years with the military, so ours have made 1 trans-Atlantic move with no problems except a small scratch at the back edge of the dresser. Since it's brown though, I just went over it with a brown marker and you can't even tell.

We had a Hemnes bed frame that lasted us for several years, after which we bought a divan bed and passed the bed frame on. It really was almost as good as new when we got rid of it. Hemnes is a decent line from Ikea - but you do have to be careful as some of their stuff is just junk.

We have the Hemnes king size bed, 8 drawer dresser, 6 drawer chest, mirror and 2 side tables. They are about four years old. As another poster mentioned, I think a lot of it has to do with how the furniture is put together. My husband, who is very handy, took his sweet time putting each piece together. It took him days to get it all done, he used wood glue in addition to the million screws and pegs that came with the furniture. Our house will fall down before this furniture comes apart. Lol.

That being said, we are pretty easy on our bedroom furniture so it all looked brand new until we moved this summer. After that almost every piece had 2 or 3 scratches on it. Our furniture is dark brown/black so I covered it with a black magic marker. It looks good as new again!

I also wanted to mention that we have a sheet of plywood under our mattress because the bars they provided to hold the mattress up did not seem very sturdy.

Long story short. It is not the best made stuff out there and you will have to be gentle with it. I have to keep my three year old from hanging on the drawers. If you are really hard on your furniture you might want to spend more money on something more heavy duty. For our family though it's beautiful furniture at a great price!

Whatever you do, check the hardware before you leave the parking lot. We got halfway through construction before realizing a screw was damaged -- and guess what -- the store didn't have a single one. I've never quite recovered from that waste of time.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm convinced. :)

Just have one more question. The bed frame does fit standard king mattresses right? We wouldn't have to buy a new mattress? And, does the bed need the slate to put the mattress on top or can I use box springs?

I was still typing my previous post when you posted this.

Yes, it fits a standard king mattress. We did not buy the slate and I think that is where our problem was. As I posted earlier, we had to buy a huge sheet of plywood and put that in under the box spring and mattress. We tried it without first and it felt like the mattress was going to fall through to the floor. I could stand to lose a few pounds but I'm not that heavy! Lol!

We have two of the long dressers, one in brown in our room and blue in the kids' room. I love them. I think they look great and they've held up well for us so far. We bought the clear glass to put across the top that they also sell at Ikea. This keeps the wood protected from scratches but has also been great for putting the kids' ribbons under as a display.

We have the eight drawer dresser. DH has had to fix one of the drawers a couple of times (always the same drawer). We've had it for 6-7 years and it still looks nice. Overall, I feel that it was a good buy for the money. However, if I had a lot more money, I'd go for real wood. :001_smile:

We've had the Hemnes Queen bed since 2002. We have used it w/ and w/o box spring, with the big difference being that the slat portion needs to be lower when you have a box spring on it. It is the only bedframe *I* have had that *I* like, that isn't particle board or super thick wood. Everything locally made is HUGE and our house can't handle HUGE. The Hemnes line is just perfect for us!

If we lived closer to IKEA we would have the entirety of both the Hemnes & Leksvik lines. We have the TV stand and 2 side tables in Leksvik, have had them for 5yrs, and they still look like new (minus the crayon colourings that haven't really hurt the surfaces)...