Menu

So frustrated with DVDs from Netflix!

That surprises me. We've been Netflix members for several years, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of damaged discs we've received. I don't think I'd even need all of the fingers!
This has been our experience as well.

Dawn, how old is your DVD player?

ETA: If you call or report the disc damaged online, Netflix will ship you another copy right away.

That surprises me. We've been Netflix members for several years, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of damaged discs we've received. I don't think I'd even need all of the fingers!

I wonder if this is regional, at all?

:iagree: In a year and a half, we've only had one that was slightly scratched. They sent us another copy immediately.

This has been our experience as well.

Dawn, how old is your DVD player?

ETA: If you call or report the disc damaged online, Netflix will ship you another copy right away.

:iagree: I think we have been members since 2002 and there have been probably 4 scratched or cracked discs. Netflix sent replacements right away.

Well, this has been more of a problem recently.

It isn't my DVD player. I noticed this disk was all scratched up before I even put it in the player.

This is the 3rd one in the last couple of months.

DH had string of three cracked DVDs in a week... same title too. They were old (and OOP) and obviously a bit more fragile than most DVDs.

Same here - we had one unplayable disk in many years.

A few I had to clean and then they would be OK.

Can it be your DVD player?

It seems most of them are scratched and won't play well. I miss large chunks of whatever show or movie I have gotten.

It is SO frustrating!

Dawn

This has happened to me several times recently too. But I wonder if it is my DVD player. A relative gave me a new (well, used, but new-to-me) player that is much newer than the ancient one we used to have, more features, but I think it is pickier about the DVDs. I found that if I play the problem Netflix DVDs on my computer, they work just fine.

But to make things more interesting, we also check out DVDs from the library. Most of the kids DVDs are horribly scratched, yet they play just fine on our picky player. Strange...

Well, we have 3 DVD players, not counting our computers.

The newest one, the Bluray, is in the basement and I prefer not to go down there. I use the other two. I guess it is a possibility but I did SEE scratches before playing this one.

Our library has very few DVDs. They have very old movies mostly. They carry no TV series' at all, very few newer movies, and no documentaries! It stinks.

When I asked if they had any TV series, they looked at me like I had two heads.

Dawn

DH had string of three cracked DVDs in a week... same title too. They were old (and OOP) and obviously a bit more fragile than most DVDs.

We've used Netflix for a year and a half, and during that time, we've had 4 unplayable DVD's. The very first DVD we received wouldn't play. Six months later, we had another one that wouldn't play. Six months after that (which was 6 months ago), we had 2 cracked DVD's in one week. Since those, we haven't had any bad DVD's.

We've had several unplayable ones but I like how netflix always sends us a replacement so fast. Usually I'll get the replacement within 2 days of reporting a problem. The ones that have been scratched up are usually older ones and they all have really bad visible scratching.

Well, we have 3 DVD players, not counting our computers.

The newest one, the Bluray, is in the basement and I prefer not to go down there. I use the other two. I guess it is a possibility but I did SEE scratches before playing this one.

I didn't mean to imply our Netflix discs weren't scratched. They definitely were. Actually, they looked more gouged than scratched, like little chunks were missing.

We've only been members a few months and have had 3-4 scratched discs that would not play sections of the movie. Sure Netflix sends replacements but that's just not helpful at 9:00 PM on Saturday night when you're halfway through a suspense movie and it hits one of those deep scratches and you can't watch anymore. And yes we tried both DVD players (older model and Blu-Ray) and both computers. For one of the DVDs the computer played it all right, but for the others we were left high and dry for a few days. GRRRR.

Same here. The problems we've had were related to our DVD player since the discs that seemed damaged always played on our computers.

You sure it isn't your DVD player?