Menu

My head is going to explode. Talk me off the wall or press the button.

Dd16 is going back to ps this fall. She's got 2 years into an exceptional cosmo school, and the state board won't license her unless she has the GED or a HS diploma. We don't want to go the GED route, one reason being that God forbid, if anything happen to that paperwork, lost, didn't take it on time, someone filled in the wrong box, she won't get her license. And she's worked too hard all ready (straight As, teacher's assistant) to dangle it over a cliff.

So, she just got her schedule for next year. They have her down for remedial HSPA. I am FURIOUS.

This guidance counselor has a Napoleonic complex. I cannot STAND him. Total union man, took offense that we were homeschooling, told me I had Mommy grades. I asked him how he knew an A from a kid in Mississippi were up to their standards and he shrugged. Then he didn't believe me that she took Latin. Or that she's done ANY of the work she has.

Now, the superintendent didn't WANT her to take the remedial HSPA class. He knows her work ethic. And, technically so does the guidance counselor but he apparently is totally offended that a homeschooler is that good of a student without his public school.

So should I just let it go or should fight for her to get a regular class?

(quitting isn't an option, she wants the license to put herself through college)

I don't know what HSPA is, so I don't know if she should fight it or not, but is this really better than her taking the GED? From what you described, she can probably pass it now, so why not give it a shot?

the HSPA is the big test here that the kids have to pass to go to the next grade.

I know, I've tried to talk to her about the GED. Our fear is that the cosmo school (which is the county technical HS) will kick her out if she's taken it.

If she has completed the requirements, why can you not issue her a diploma? I would not want to take the GED either. At convention this year, they told us to avoid that if possible. GED implies that you dropped out or that something went really wrong in your education. If you are providing a full education, you can "graduate" her. It takes some extra work with college admissions, but I spoke to several people at convention who have graduated kids and sent them on to college with a High School Diploma from home. If she has not finished the requirements, then you have to wait; but you would with PS anyway.

If she has completed the requirements, why can you not issue her a diploma? I would not want to take the GED either. At convention this year, they told us to avoid that if possible. GED implies that you dropped out or that something went really wrong in your education. If you are providing a full education, you can "graduate" her. It takes some extra work with college admissions, but I spoke to several people at convention who have graduated kids and sent them on to college with a High School Diploma from home. If she has not finished the requirements, then you have to wait; but you would with PS anyway.

It's not up to me, The NJ Cosmetology Board will not issue a license to a person without a GED or Public HS Diploma.

If you think she doesn't need a remedial class I would fight to keep her out.

I think I'm going to. And I've a fight on my hands, because the letter they sent home said in no uncertain terms that her schedule CANNOT be changed.

It's not up to me, The NJ Cosmetology Board will not issue a license to a person without a GED or Public HS Diploma.

I think I'm going to. And I've a fight on my hands, because the letter they sent home said in no uncertain terms that her schedule CANNOT be changed.

Maybe the fight is with the board. They only allow public school graduates to obtain license in their state??? A case could be made that they are completely discriminating against a segment of the population, since this also excludes private religious school. You know when I come up against stuff like this , a call to the state attorney has always proven to be helpful. They inform me of the law and whether I'm right and then the call the offending branch of gov and talk to them. It avoids lawsuits that they can't win. Maybe you could contact the state's legal team???

Maybe the fight is with the board. They only allow public school graduates to obtain license in their state??? A case could be made that they are completely discriminating against a segment of the population, since this also excludes private religious school. You know when I come up against stuff like this , a call to the state attorney has always proven to be helpful. They inform me of the law and whether I'm right and then the call the offending branch of gov and talk to them. It avoids lawsuits that they can't win. Maybe you could contact the state's legal team???

I just looked it up because I was curious. Here is the regulation:

All applications must be accompanied by proof of satisfactory completion of high school or its equivalent. The following are deemed to constitute such proof:

1. A high school diploma;

2. A certified high school transcript substantiating successful completion of a secondary program; or

3. A transcript or diploma issued after successful passage of the examination developed by the General Educational Development (GED) Testing Service.

I have to say that number 3 mystifies me, but at least a public school diploma isn't specified.

I just looked it up because I was curious. Here is the regulation:

All applications must be accompanied by proof of satisfactory completion of high school or its equivalent. The following are deemed to constitute such proof:

1. A high school diploma;

2. A certified high school transcript substantiating successful completion of a secondary program; or

3. A transcript or diploma issued after successful passage of the examination developed by the General Educational Development (GED) Testing Service.

I have to say that number 3 mystifies me, but at least a public school diploma isn't specified.

Why can't she do an umbrella school or even an online school?

Further, I bet if you graduated her per your state homeschool law and sent in a lovely official looking diploma, no one would even bat an eye. The law does say 'high school diploma' not 'public school diploma'.

The thing I may come up against is that if I give her a diploma, or if she goes under an umbrella school, the public tech school may opt to not allow her to stay. I don't know, I'll have to ask.

I e-mailed the principal and head of guidance-whom I got along with VERY well.

When Dh went with Dd to the first meeting, he said they were totally unprepared for any question he asked and the whole thing was a joke. I'm going to look into calling the state attny's office, too.

I wish you all the best of luck. I'd just hate to see the term "remedial" on the transcript of a child as punishment for having been homeschooled- especially if it doesn't reflect the actual needs/aptitude of the student.

The thing I may come up against is that if I give her a diploma, or if she goes under an umbrella school, the public tech school may opt to not allow her to stay. I don't know, I'll have to ask.

I e-mailed the principal and head of guidance-whom I got along with VERY well.

When Dh went with Dd to the first meeting, he said they were totally unprepared for any question he asked and the whole thing was a joke. I'm going to look into calling the state attny's office, too.

I would ask the tech school. Because if you put her in Kolbe or something like it, she would have a diploma and it would be the same as if she graduated from any other private school, which I assume would qualify. I just mentioned Kolbe because they are easy to work with, but I don't get why NARHS or Kolbe wouldn't work OR why the tech school has to know about it any time soon. The tech school is not looking for the diploma, right? So if you did a private school route, why do they even have to be involved in that part?

Why don't you let her finish the course, then issue the diploma? Surely the Board won't consider issuing a license til then anyway?

Are you a member of HSLDA? Because they often work with their members on things like this.

I've thought about that, too.

As of now, (I emailed them on Sat, and I had a response in my inbox Sunday morning from the superintendent, I went right over the guidance counselors head.). They're not going to keep her in the remedial class, but they are going to give her some tests to make sure she'll pass her big test. I'm ok with that, she's OK with that (we're confident of her schoolwork thus far). They put US Hist 1 on her schedule and she'll have to eat in one of her classes, but that's allowed and done often.

The school is on a trial basis. :-D