Menu

The Front Porch

What should the new porch look like?  

1. 1. What should the new porch look like?

• Balconies are awesome!
    • Close it in, put in a huge window!
    • I have a better idea:

How should we do our front porch? It will have a full lower porch. Should we rebuilt the balcony or close the door in, putting in a picture window in the future. We are doing this ourselves, so the roof has to stay as is.

Edited by Scuff

Have you considered sliders on second floor?

That's my "better" idea.

Three windows across would look nice, as would a large window.

A new door on second floor with the two windows, I think it looks awkward. Not very feng shui.:tongue_smilie:

Unless you were to put the door between two windows.

The architectural line-up wouldn't be what is the word,...symmetrical?

Yeah, the house isn't very symmetrical. That does bug me, but it is what it is. That's actually the reason I didn't want to just replace the door with a window. Although I suppose we could put 3 new windows in and space them properly. What are sliders?

I can't tell -- is this the front or the back? We have double-decker screen porches on our house. The upper one is the sleeping porch. We have room enough to put two sets of bunk-bed cots out there (plus an extra single cot), and the kids slept out there every summer for years. It was a wonderful part of their growing up years. :) But, if it is in the front of the house, you may not want a sleeping porch there... Still, I vote for double-decker screen porches. You can always use the bottom one to eat on and the top one to sit and read on.:) I just love porches, and how they make our house feel so much bigger in the summertime!

You can make the top screened by making a box and covering it with screen wire. If the top is covered with screen you won't have to tie into the roof. However, I would for simplicity just do a balcony. WIthout a top you can use it for star gazing, waving to neighbors, and just relaxing.

While small upstairs balconies look real neat, I have yet to see anyone ever out on them. I'd go for a full first floor porch with a sloped roof and either 3 spaced windows or a triple window upstairs depending on what's inside. The porch roof would hopefully hide where the door was so it didn't look like an add on with the siding. It would also keep the symmetry more pleasing.

I'm not much for balconies.....I'd love a huge picture window though!

:iagree:

My thoughts on a balcony would be:

1. I don't want a door to my bedroom, esp. facing the street. That just doesn't feel private enough to me. I like my bedroom to feel tucked away and quiet. Obviously others feel the exact opposite and love the idea of opening a bedroom door to the front.

2. One of my four boys would find a way to jump and/or lower themselves AND lower/drop/throw other items off that balcony within one week. No, they are not hooligans. But I know my boys and wow, would that second story balcony be tempting! :D

Love the house! So much character.

:iagree:

2. One of my four boys would find a way to jump and/or lower themselves AND lower/drop/throw other items off that balcony within one week. No, they are not hooligans. But I know my boys and wow, would that second story balcony be tempting! :D

Love the house! So much character.

Thanks!

I don't know how to multiquote. This is one of the main reasons we thought to close it in. We only have one boy, but the girls have grown up with a brother and are much more inclined towards such things than I was with all sisters.

Also, that's a kids' bedroom. Well, technically it's a separate apartment and that's the living room. Which makes a balcony make sense. And seeing as that would be the apartment's outdoor space, keeping it is a good idea. However, we're using the whole house for us and that is being used as a bedroom. I'm thinking a balcony makes it easy for teenagers to sneak out. Or burglars/kidnappers to nap my children in the night. (although they couldn't really do this without waking us up too)

On the other hand, I always wanted a balcony as a child. It was one of the things I liked about the house when we bought it. It saddens me a little to think that wouldn't have it. The old porch was rotten, so we never went out on it before. If we don't rebuild it we never will. I'm leaning towards keeping it.