Menu

another car seat question

I have a child who will be 8 soon and no longer legally will need a car seat. He weighs 40 lbs and is 4ft. 4 in. Yes, he's very skinny. If we keep him in a car seat, we will need to buy a new one because the one he is using now is 6 years old.

Would you keep him in a booster seat or not? Recommendations for a seat if you would (it needs to be thin because I've got 3 others in car seats)?

I absolutely would use a booster. He's too short and small to be without one. Maybe if he were 13 and that size I'd change my mind, but 8 yr olds can easily be in carseats these days. Also, I think enough parents choosing to keep kids in carseats longer (esp if based on size) will allow more parents feel comfy doing so. And the kids will go along with it (much like how many parents and children report that braces are more accepted, even bragged about, these days than when we were kids).

My ds used on until he was 11 and 100 pounds.

Are you sure he doesn't need a carseat still? I only ask because most laws are 8 years AND 80 lbs OR 4'9" tall. Either way, DD is in a Graco Nautilus and we love it. It's a 5-point that converts to a high back booster that then converts to a backless booster. DD is 4'2" and is still harnessed.

Are you sure he doesn't need a carseat still? I only ask because most laws are 8 years AND 80 lbs OR 4'9" tall. Either way, DD is in a Graco Nautilus and we love it. It's a 5-point that converts to a high back booster that then converts to a backless booster. DD is 4'2" and is still harnessed.

I second the Nautilus although it may not be as skinny as you like. DS just went from 5-point to high-back booster due to his weight. Skinny but solid and 65 pounds. DD is in a Boulevard and will remain there. She feels like she weighs a ton but is barely above the rear-facing limit of that particular seat.

I second the Nautilus although it may not be as skinny as you like. DS just went from 5-point to high-back booster due to his weight. Skinny but solid and 65 pounds. DD is in a Boulevard and will remain there. She feels like she weighs a ton but is barely above the rear-facing limit of that particular seat.

I missed the part about needing it to be skinny. There are skinnier seats, but I have 2 Nautiluses and a Britax Marathon (rear-facing) across the backseat in my Hyundai Santa Fe. It's tight, but they do fit. So it might be worth a shot.

My small nine year old sits on his Sunshine Kids Radian booster. It is quite trim, which is what we bought it for originally when we had three across with two Britax Marathons.

He just graduated to wearing a regular seatbelt rather than harnessed. But that was really more of a concession to his age than size. He is 4'3" and right at 50 lbs. He'll sit on the booster for a while yet I imagine.

A booster with good side impact protection should work well for an 8 y/o.

Here's a link to measurements. Just remember it's often times how seats puzzle together more than overall size. I prefer one with a deep seat to give thigh support.

http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/

Here's the link to the 5 step test. Kids should stay in boosters until the 5 step test is passed. As kids near being tall enough for a seat belt alone remember they may pass in one vehicle but not another. Most kids will be 10-12 years old and at least 4'9" before they're ready for the seat belt alone.

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

ETA: Another option would be the Britax Frontier 85. It has a tall harness and makes a good booster later on. It's $$ tho and may be too wide. It, however, is the only harnessed seat I'd recommend for an 8 y/o. hth.

Edited by raceNzanesmom

My daughter is 9 and still rides around in her Britax Parkway. We will keep her in it as long as possible for safety. Doesn't matter to me if people think we are weird. (yes, people have negatively commented about it.)

She doesn't like to be without it either. We recently went on a trip and she had to ride in the hotel courtesy van, then on the train, then in a NYC taxi, and she was very upset and felt unsafe without her seat.

My skinny 6 year olds are in SafeGo soft back boosters. (you need tether for them) . They still use the harness system unless we're only driving in town.

Based on my experience with both, I think these are more comfortable than the rigid high-back boosters. And we can slightly recline their seats on long trips so their heads don't pitch forward over their straps when they fall asleep.

Eta: it's nice to see that other parents of "seat legal" kids continue to use carseats until they are actually outgrown. We have a couple friends who do, as well, but mostly the people I know are taking their kids out of them long before they can properly use a belt, often years before it's even legal.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I think bringing up German laws is sort of moot since nobody in the US is driving 80 mph on country roads or 100 mph on the freeway. Those are typical speeds in Germany.

NC law is 80 lbs *or* 8 years old.

Children may be secured in a properly fitted seat belt at age 8 (regardless of weight) OR at 80 pounds (regardless of age) - whichever comes first. Placing the shoulder belt under a child’s (or adult’s) arm or behind the back is both dangerous and illegal.

My son rode in a booster until he was 10. He is still short and skinny, but he can wear a seat belt properly.

I absolutely would use a booster. He's too short and small to be without one. Maybe if he were 13 and that size I'd change my mind, but 8 yr olds can easily be in carseats these days. Also, I think enough parents choosing to keep kids in carseats longer (esp if based on size) will allow more parents feel comfy doing so. And the kids will go along with it (much like how many parents and children report that braces are more accepted, even bragged about, these days than when we were kids).

My ds used on until he was 11 and 100 pounds.

My 15 year old who is learning to drive doesn't weigh 100 lbs.

The Nautilus is a very sturdy, heavy seat but it is wide (21" across the base at the widest portion). If it's going in next to other seats and you are planning to use it as a booster then the width is something to consider. I assume you want the child to be able to buckle/unbuckle himself and that is difficult when you have several large seats puzzled in next to one another.

The Graco Turbo Booster (high back model) is an excellent choice. It's just 16" across the widest portion of the base.

I have nine year old who although is about 4' 7" only weighs 63 lbs and although he spends most of his time with 10, 11 and 12 year olds still rides in a low back buster seat. Only recently we stopped having him in high back and only because we have not found one that has wide enough shoulder space. He is a gymnast and built like a tall skinny gymnast. He is bothered, but we tell his friends, he has tried his best to grow and get fat, but these are just not things he all that great at.

My eight yr old (53 lbs 48 also gymnast and a cheerleader) is in a 5 point or high back from Britax depending on the car and sometimes we move the high back depending on what clothing (dresses) she is wearing. She has friends her age and younger who are completely out of car seats but does not care! Where brother is nearly as tall as his age peers, she is short stuff. As a cheerleader her size and weight puts her where she wants to be on the team... HIGH in the air, so she easily gets over the carseat issue.

We have a friend who's daughter lost her best friend to a car accident where she was seatbelted in and the parents believed she was safe, but she was a little light and short for the manufactured car and seat belt... she flew between her parents (who had NO injuries) and died in front of them. My child will ride in booster seats until it is no longer safe for them.

Here is the 5 step test that determines if a child is ready seat belt only:

The 5-Step Test.

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?

2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?

3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?

4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?

5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, your child needs a booster seat to make both the shoulder belt and the lap belt fit right for the best crash protection. Your child will be more comfortable, too!

I would be fine with an 8 year old in a backless booster provided there is proper headrests behind him. The Harmony Literider is very narrow and may work for you.

My son will be 9 in a few weeks and he still rides harnessed in a Graco Nautilus. He wants to move to a different position in the car and I may let him start using it as a high back booster.

Wow. Are the strap slots still above his shoulders? My 7 yo and 9 yo have outgrown the harness on the Nauti.

Here is the 5 step test that determines if a child is ready seat belt only:

The 5-Step Test.

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?

2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?

3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?

4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?

5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, your child needs a booster seat to make both the shoulder belt and the lap belt fit right for the best crash protection. Your child will be more comfortable, too!

Hm, according to these questions *I* still need a booster seat.:tongue_smilie:

I'll be the odd man out (as usual) and say that if he were my kid, I'd let him just ride with a seatbelt.

I think height/age is the important thing as far as wearing the seatbelt correctly.

Seat belt fit is really all that matters. Age and weight have nothing to do with fit. Overall height has little to do with fit. Seated height in combination with the vehicle seat and seat belt placement are what will determine whether or not the seat belt fits. Lap belts that ride up on the abdomen cause internal and spinal injuries. Shoulders belts that cross the neck or face cause children to put the shoulder belt behind their back or under their arm. That causes head, neck, spine and internal injuries. I've met one 8 y/o in my 10+ years of CPS work that passed the 5 step test. He's now 14 and 6'4" tall.

It should be remembered that a booster is not a car seat. It does nothing to retrain a child. All a booster does is literally boost the child up so the adult lap/shoulder belt combo can properly fit the large bony structure of the body (hips and shoulder). Most vehicle manufactures gage seat belts to fit 5'8'-5'10" men. We can't expect them to fit children (or even smaller adults) properly.

I am a fan of high back boosters with good side impact protection because they offer additional safety- especially when riding in an outboard position. However, a backless booster (like the Harmony mentioned in another post) works well to place the seat belts when a high back isn't desired or won't fit in a seating position. They run around $13 at Walmart.