Menu

Someone loaned me curriculum... return it with $$ ?

Another thread about someone loaning curriculum out got me wondering...

We are new to HSing, just started in March. A woman I did not even know loaned me several text books to help me get started. I used the math books extensively... and tried to be very careful with them. However, I think they are a little more "worn" now than they were when she loaned them to me, but not in anyway ruined! No missing/torn/bent/written on pages... just a bit more "used" than it was. I had to make photocopies of everything, which is one reason it looks more broken in (esp. the spine) -- you know how hard it is to lay books open to copy without putting a bit of wear and tear on the spine! Basically, the books do not have any damage, just normal wear and tear.

So, I am VERY grateful she loaned them to me, and I am returning them (along with several I did NOT end up using) this week.

Should I give her money for the loan of the books? Or a gift card to the bookstore? Not because the books need to be replaced (they are NOT damaged or ruined; just a little more worn than they were), but more as a "thank you" for the loan? If so, how much?

WWYD?

I think if you would *like* to give her a gift as a "thank you" for the loan of the books, a bookstore gift certificate would be a lovely gesture. It doesn't really matter how much it is, just give her a card with a brief note about how her generous loan of the books helped you in your transition.

I certainly don't think you "need" to do it. But she went "above and beyond" in loaning you (a stranger) several books to get you going... And if you have the means to go "above and beyond" in return, I think that would be lovely. (I wouldn't do cash... I think the gift card is a nice choice.)

I'm a curriculum junkie, and I often loan materials to a friend who cannot afford some of our more interesting finds. It's enough for me that the material is used (and returned!), and she's very good about returning something promptly if it doesn't suit their needs. I don't know the OP's situation, but I wouldn't want my friend to give me money, because she doesn't have much in the way of excess funds. I am not being inconvenienced in any way because the materials I lend her my oldest has used them and my younger is not yet ready for them.

Cookies, OTOH, are always appreciated. :)

It's not necessary, but it's just the kind of thing I would do had I done that, so I can't say you shouldn't without feeling a bit hypocritical. :001_smile: She may not expect it, of course, and may not care, but I always feel so bad if I return something in any less than the condition it was loaned to me.

If you get a gift card, I'd think around $15 would be good. But that's just what I'd do. Maybe I'm a cheapskate?

I just don't think it matters much. The number I had in my head was a good bit higher than that. A few years ago, it wouldn't have been. I think it's the gesture that matters, not the amount. The amount should be based on what the OP can give and feel good about (and perhaps on the number/kind of materials that were loaned).

I just don't think it matters much. The number I had in my head was a good bit higher than that. A few years ago, it wouldn't have been. I think it's the gesture that matters, not the amount. The amount should be based on what the OP can give and feel good about (and perhaps on the number/kind of materials that were loaned).
:iagree:

I think I'm going to give her a gift card. We don't have a curriculum store per se, but I think one to Barnes and Noble would be appreciated and used, dontcha think?

She loaned me the materials because I was like a deer in the headlights, not having ANY idea what to do, but desperately needing to remove my son from what I considered to be a toxic environment, and my only option was to homeschool. I don't regret the decision one bit, have loved every minute of it, and wish, wish, wish I'd done this MUCH sooner, and with ALL my kids!!

But, I digress.

I'm going to give her a gift card. Although I only ended up using one set of the many books she loaned me, it was a relief just knowing they were here for me, should I have needed them!

I hope to pay it forward in the future, as well -- help someone else like me (a newbie with no idea what she's doing!), or someone who needs curriculum but can't afford to buy all they need.

We don't have a curriculum store per se, but I think one to Barnes and Noble would be appreciated and used, dontcha think?

Absolutely! :D

I'm so glad that she was able to help you make the transition, and that home schooling is working so beautifully for you and your son!

I think I'm going to give her a gift card. We don't have a curriculum store per se, but I think one to Barnes and Noble would be appreciated and used, dontcha think?

I hope to pay it forward in the future, as well -- help someone else like me (a newbie with no idea what she's doing!), or someone who needs curriculum but can't afford to buy all they need.

A few years ago, someone on one of the hsing boards let me borrow a book that was very difficult to obtain. I had never met her, she lived in a different state. She mailed me the book and I was so excited to be able to use it. I sent her a gift card as a thank you when I returned it to her.

Fast forward to this year and I paid it forward to someone on this board. She did send me a B&N gift card but I was not expecting anything. It was a wonderful nice thank you.

I look for opportunites to pay it forward, it not only helps the person, but I always feel good about supporting someone who chooses to hs.

I'm going to give her a gift card. Although I only ended up using one set of the many books she loaned me, it was a relief just knowing they were here for me, should I have needed them!

She will feel wonderful knowing how she helped you. Letting her know how she positively influenced your homeschool is very thoughtful of you.

When my daughter took a Trigonometry class this year a friend of a friend (whom I've never met) was kind enough to lend her the text book. We returned it with a thank you note and a small gift card to Borders. It was our thank you for her kindness. I think cookies or any other gift you care to give would be well appreciated.

Regards,

Kareni

If you do a gift card or cash, put it in an envelope so it pokes out the top of the book. I know if it were me, I'd probably not look too closely to the returned items and just put them back on the shelf. I'd wouldn't find anything tucked inside for quite a while.

As for how much, I'd be happy with a thank you card no money included. It is so rare to get those any more.

I think if you would *like* to give her a gift as a "thank you" for the loan of the books, a bookstore gift certificate would be a lovely gesture. It doesn't really matter how much it is, just give her a card with a brief note about how her generous loan of the books helped you in your transition.

I certainly don't think you "need" to do it. But she went "above and beyond" in loaning you (a stranger) several books to get you going... And if you have the means to go "above and beyond" in return, I think that would be lovely. (I wouldn't do cash... I think the gift card is a nice choice.)

:iagree:

I think a gift card to a bookstore is a lovely gesture.