Menu

Question about buying used curriculum

As someone who only has a few posts, I would if it was relatively inexpensive and I had not found it anywhere else. (And I have few posts because I'm learning so much from you all that I just lurk. I don't usually have anything insightful to add to the comments of the "masters." :D)

I thought they couldn't sell here until 50 posts. :confused:

It was a wanted to buy ad I posted that she responded to

I would if I'd been having a hard time finding what I wanted.

This is exactly it. I haven't been able to find it affordable to us until she PMed me. I did look and she has been registered for a year, but only has 2 posts and those are replying to WTB ads.

Probably not.

(Do they live in MI? How many children do they have?):D

:lol:

This is exactly it. I haven't been able to find it affordable to us until she PMed me. I did look and she has been registered for a year, but only has 2 posts and those are replying to WTB ads.

You could pm those people and see how it went. I still would hesitate though.

I might if it was through a paypal transaction only because don't you have some protection that way or am I wrong?:confused::001_smile:

Yeah that was another thought I had. I think with regular paypal you do but with personal you do? I don't know though because I once paid through personal and never got my books and paypal refunded my money.

I would, then. Can't you get recourse with paypal on the off chance she's looking to get one over on you, anyway? And if she's not, then you get what you need finally at an affordable price. I'd be inclined to give the benefit of the doubt, especially in that situation. Not being big on posting doesn't mean someone's a thief or scam artist.

This just sounds odd to me. I lurked for a long time before I actually said anything around here. I just can't imagine lurking for a year, and the only 2 posts being on the WTB board. Something about it seems off to me, but I can't explain it well. For instance, some of my earliest posts were "easy" things, until I worked up the nerve to actually "say" something. So...a lot of "congratulations" (LOTS of babies are born around this place! :D ), quite a few of these guys...:iagree: , and of course the quite easy answering of polls. I was lurking to learn about curriculum, and then ventured onto the general board. I just find it odd that in a year, there was never a post she even wanted to agree with, or something. Yet, seems to sit on the WTB board. That board just seems the least likely to get a newbie's first 2 posts. I dunno. I guess I'm not very trusting. I would at least PM the other two people she posted to and see if they did a transaction. Just my .02!

I have bought from people w/ less than 50 posts who responded to my WTB listings. I've never had any problem. I always pay through Paypal ('purchase of goods' transactions, NOT 'personal' transactions).

Sometimes, even people who only have a couple of posts will have feedback. Have you checked to see if she has any feedback on her user page?

I responded to a seller through a WTB ad. She only had a couple posts and it was for a very large purchase. This was about 2 years ago. I bought a nearly complete Sonlight 6 set and it arrived in excellent condition in a timely manner and I got an amazing deal. I'm a pretty trusting person I guess. We did send several PMs back and forth and I suppose I got a feel for her through those conversations. She's a regular poster here now.:)

Same thing happened to me. One person had only 3 posts, all replying to WTB ads. I bought from her since I really wanted that program, but it took over three weeks to receive it and all the time I wondered if I would ever get it when she had excuses why she couldn't send it yet. I don't think I will buy again from someone whose only posts are responses to WTB ads trying to sell before they reach 50 posts. There is place for 50 posts requirements. It builds more accountability and we can know what kind of person she is by reading her 50 + posts and it is less risky to buy from her then.