Menu

If someone asks you a question..

If someone asks you a question when your mouth is full, do you  

1. 1. If someone asks you a question when your mouth is full, do you

• answer immediately, potentially displaying food in mouth?
    • answer immediately with hand in front of mouth?
    • make a hand sign to explain, finish chewing, then answer?
    • make no hand sign, finish chewing, then answer?
    • do something else?

I chose something else - but really it's a combination of making a motion and finish chewing and holding hand in front. I will usually chew until I don't have a full mouth any longer than hold my hand in front to answer. If it's a long, drawn out answer, I'll finish chewing completely. But if I'm trying to answer a quick question, I don't have a problem answering with just a bit of food in my mouth and covering up.

If it is important or mid-conversation I will hold my hand in front of my mouth. That is rare...except if it is just me and dh....then I am less well mannered ;)

I did this in front of my sister at a social event once and she, who has no problem pointing out faults, told me never do that again because it was rude. I never saw it that way. What say the hive?

I think it's awkward when someone holds her hand in front of her mouth and talks. I'd just rather she wait until she finishes chewing or something. It is possible to tuck one's food to the side while saying a few words such that the food is not displayed to all the world...