Menu

I just want to say...

Y'all are some kind of amazingly attentive post-reading, troll-ousting forum detectives!

I am so unaware some times and I swear, if a newbie posted they had twins, triplets, 12 adopted children from Kenya and on top of that, bred Labradoodles, I would be the idjit saying, "Man! How do you DO it all?!" :tongue_smilie:

Seriously. Connecting spelling errors with other trolls? Realizing the names sound off? Noticing the name/location sounds like a troll from another forum?

About the best I can claim is that a few problems/solutions mentioned did not sound like someone with Duggar-esque experience, if ykwim.

Hats off to the detectives. You know who you are!

Y'all are some kind of amazingly attentive post-reading, troll-ousting forum detectives!

I am so unaware some times and I swear, if a newbie posted they had twins, triplets, 12 adopted children from Kenya and on top of that, bred Labradoodles, I would be the idjit saying, "Man! How do you DO it all?!" :tongue_smilie:

Seriously. Connecting spelling errors with other trolls? Realizing the names sound off? Noticing the name/location sounds like a troll from another forum?

About the best I can claim is that a few problems/solutions mentioned did not sound like someone with Duggar-esque experience, if ykwim.

:iagree: Dh and I got a good laugh out of this! :lol:

Alley

I don't talk about certain aspects of my life because I'm afraid that people will think I'm a fake. I hate that kind of thing. :(

I'm sorry you feel that way.

I'm not a regular here but seeing the trolls come out is difficult, you wonder who they will hurt and how.

that said. Once people get to know others then sharing other aspects of your life will get easier.

I know tons of on line people, I'm on other forums. I've actually met several people. They in turn have met others who know others who know others etc.

When I start hearing faboulous tales and they don't know others won't give info then it starts up the questioning. Especially if they start with far out whacky things.

Stupid question but what is trolling. I looked it up today but still fuzzy on what it is can someone please explain.

I was searching some subject and come across a forum and I posted some information about myself which I never do but I posted as my troubles with positive outcome so others could see that others are in the same boat.

So, I hope I what I did was not considered trolling.:confused1:

I bought into the whole AM thing too. I feel like a dork now. I try to be up front with people irl and online too. I don't like fake. I have pictures to prove that I have 7 kids. I have a dr's paper proving I was in a mental institution and diagnosed with DID if anyone wants me to scan it to prove that I have the disorder (if I can still find it).

I am sorry that anyone here believes that they can't be up front with us and feel they need to play make believe. It's sad and I feel sorry for the people that do this.

Stupid question but what is trolling. I looked it up today but still fuzzy on what it is can someone please explain.

I was searching some subject and come across a forum and I posted some information about myself which I never do but I posted as my troubles with positive outcome so others could see that others are in the same boat.

No. Trolling is usually one of two things or both:

1) Posing as someone you're not, just to entertain yourself. (The troll everyone is talking about did this.)

2) Posing as yourself or as someone you're not and stirring the pot just to get arguments going. You see this when someone, usually brand new starts a thread, something like, "I think spanking is great; I spank my children every 2 hours just in case they need it. What is wrong with that?" Maybe they are for real, maybe they are fake, but they're bringing up a tense topic just to poke the Hive.

Yes, please explain.

1) Posing as someone you're not, just to entertain yourself. (The troll everyone is talking about did this.)

2) Posing as yourself or as someone you're not and stirring the pot just to get arguments going. You see this when someone, usually brand new starts a thread, something like, "I think spanking is great; I spank my children every 2 hours just in case they need it. What is wrong with that?" Maybe they are for real, maybe they are fake, but they're bringing up a tense topic just to poke the Hive.

You mean ... you're not supposed to spank every 2 hours just in case they need it? Aww, man, I was just about to post about that!

More seriously, Quill's written a good brief summary, but check here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

for more information and the history of the term.

I'm like you. I just read and think: Oh, MY! How exciting or How wonderful or How sad or . . . or . . . or . . .

I'm missing the "suspicious" gene. Or mine is underdeveloped. Guess that's why I'm with my dh who is suspicious of everything. Hope our dc are better balanced. :D

I am so unaware some times and I swear, if a newbie posted they had twins, triplets, 12 adopted children from Kenya and on top of that, bred Labradoodles, I would be the idjit saying, "Man! How do you DO it all?!"

I am the same way, I had no idea! I think it's mostly because I'm a visual person and mainly recognize people from their avatar and their username. I would be hard pressed to give info about someone who has no picture if I was JUST given their username. And when people change their avatars :svengo:it confuses the heck out of me. Like when Rainefox changed, I only noticed because someone asked her about it. And I only noticed Nakia did because she kept talking on (and on and on;)) about how she was going to marry that guy. Usually I'll see an avatar a lot and then notice several days later that it was a regular. :lol:Please people! My poor brain is gonna explode

(although on a side note, I do remember someone a few months back talk about how she got custody of her sister's kids and now there were a ton of them living in the house. Someone today mentioned her, was she one of the trolls?)

Count me in as another one standing in awe and amazement! I would never make the connections or notice the details that our troll detectives noticed! My hat off as well!! :cheers2:

When someone has distinctive spelling or grammatical errors, or a distinctive way of speaking, it makes (or make's?) you start thinking about other people you've seen recently.

Elsewhere, I've caught the same guy four times simply due to his misuse of 'shall/will' -- he overuses shall, and the error is rare enough that it instantaneously triggers me to watch him. I haven't told him this though :D

Thank you for the reply.

The two definition you posted were not me at all. What a sigh of relief. What had me worried is that after googling some more it was said that trolling could be when people want pity.

After searching the forum (on a what I can not remember)when I found a thread that caught my attention about a mom having trouble and maybe sending her child back to school. So, I post a personal hardship I had similar to hers when I first started homeschooling as way of saying that even when things seems hard don't give up. I still may change it as I do not want people to think I need sympathy attention.

Thank you for the reply.

The two definition you posted were not me at all. What a sigh of relief. What had me worried is that after googling some more it was said that trolling could be when people want pity.

After searching the forum (on a what I can not remember)when I found a thread that caught my attention about a mom having trouble and maybe sending her child back to school. So, I post a personal hardship I had similar to hers when I first started homeschooling as way of saying that even when things seems hard don't give up. I still may change it as I do not want people to think I need sympathy attention.

The "pity party" element of a troll, though, is usually glaring. Certainly, you can post about personal problems and people do that, but there is a noticeable "cry for attention" aspect with trolls. It's hard to explain, but it's easy to recognize. Just like if you have someone in your life who is a hypochondriac, you start to take all their maladies with skepticism, while another friend will truly put you on full alert if they say they aren't well. You know the one is phony and the other is genuine.

I am the same way, I had no idea! I think it's mostly because I'm a visual person and mainly recognize people from their avatar and their username. I would be hard pressed to give info about someone who has no picture if I was JUST given their username. And when people change their avatars :svengo:it confuses the heck out of me. Like when Rainefox changed, I only noticed because someone asked her about it. And I only noticed Nakia did because she kept talking on (and on and on;)) about how she was going to marry that guy. Usually I'll see an avatar a lot and then notice several days later that it was a regular. :lol:Please people! My poor brain is gonna explode

(although on a side note, I do remember someone a few months back talk about how she got custody of her sister's kids and now there were a ton of them living in the house. Someone today mentioned her, was she one of the trolls?)

:iagree: Me too! Nakia totally threw me by changing her avatar! I'm still not used to it. I was thinking of changing mine, because it's so old, but that is what stops me - I want people to keep recognizing me! :D

And yes, I think that person was the same one who claimed to have adopted the nieces/nephews.

The "pity party" element of a troll, though, is usually glaring. Certainly, you can post about personal problems and people do that, but there is a noticeable "cry for attention" aspect with trolls. It's hard to explain, but it's easy to recognize. Just like if you have someone in your life who is a hypochondriac, you start to take all their maladies with skepticism, while another friend will truly put you on full alert if they say they aren't well. You know the one is phony and the other is genuine.

I agree.

AND folks will post here to commiserate with their friends and to ask for prayers / thoughts / support from people that they've gotten to know online. They may have posted here for weeks / months / years.

Trolls instantly want sympathy and attention from people they don't know at all (the poster in question had only been posting here for a week, for example .. hardly long enough to qualify as a "regular poster looking for support from online friends").

When someone has distinctive spelling or grammatical errors, or a distinctive way of speaking, it makes (or make's?) you start thinking about other people you've seen recently.

the "poster-who-shall-not-be-named" also used a large italic script font in lavendar. she sure wanted to be noticed. hazards of doing things to get noticed is, you get noticed and stand-out. then people make connections.

(or maybe I'm thinking of someone else who uses it and it bugs me because my brain want the lights dimmed. . . . but I do remember her script was unique.)

Thanks for giving more clarity but I still changed my posting because I did Not want to be misunderstood:D. I am the type of person who speaks or post what is on my mind but will be careful not to offend or try to stay away from things that will cause upheaval but after finding out more about trolling I will sure be be careful about what I post.

Until this and another posting I never knew there was such a term as "trolling". What's even more disturbing is after seeing the term I googled it and found a Facebook page dedicated to all trollers/trouble makers who are welcome that this page. Go figure:glare:.

Edited by dyana17

I don't talk about certain aspects of my life because I'm afraid that people will think I'm a fake. I hate that kind of thing. :(

:lol: This, or that I'm a whiner, complainer and wimp :tongue_smilie: I find it feels just plain creepy, too, to let thousands of strangers know really personal details about your life.

Until this and another posting I never knew there was such a term as "trolling". What's even more disturbing is after seeing the term I googled it and found a Facebook page dedicated to all trollers/trouble makers who are welcome that this page. Go figure:glare:.

do they live under a bridge, wield clubs, and grunt?

they need a pic of the fremont troll (oh, that could be fun to post at trolls. I love that troll. that VW bug he's holding is the real thing - gives you the scale of the thing.)

*sigh* I miss your sweet, adorable face!!! Seeing your awesome smile made your posts that much more of a delight to read.

But, I get the homage to your honey! ;)

Awww, that's so sweet!! Thank you. Maybe I will bring it back...someday...after my wedding or something. ;)