Menu

Singapore math 1, pricey!??

Kathie in VA

Wow! I priced SM at Rainbow Resource and it adds up to $221.40 for one year! Am I getting it right?

SM PM Standards grade 1 A&B:

TE, HIG, txt, wkbk, IP, cwp, tests

(48*2)+(17*2)+(8.45*2)+(8.45*2)+(8.45*2)+9.5+(15.6*2)

:confused:

Sounds pricey to me, then again I've been using Mastering Mathematics which is $130 but covers almost 8 years of math!

What's the TE? For 1st grade I do not use the HIGs or the tests. You know how your 1st grader is doing without a test. ;) You also only really need the IP if you have an advanced child who wants/needs extra challenge. It's usually used a half level behind where you are in the text/wkbk. I have the texts, workbooks, and the IPs because I do have a child who needs challenge. That's it. I got most of them used.

I would not fail to use the HIGs to save a few bucks. They add a great deal to the Singapore Math program. It is very important to lay a good math foundation fom the outset, including Levels 1A/1B.

The Standards Edition HIGs are really good (the reputation of the US Edition ones are far less good).

Bill

What is the difference between these? I have the U.S. Edition, and I just looked at this Standards Edition sample to compare, (http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/sp_pmstdhig1a3.pdf)but they are identical.

I can't speak to the lower level HIG's but I have used the U.S. Edition HIG's for 3A/B and the SE HIG's for 4A-5A. At the higher levels at least, the SE HIG's contain quite a bit more explanation and guidance for the parent. The better HIG's were the main reason I switched to the SE.

ETA: Here is a sample of the 3A U.S. Ed. HIG. Here is a sample of the 3A SE HIG.

Edited by Crimson Wife

We only buy the textbook and workbooks.

Instead of getting the HIG, play with the math yourself, and ask for ideas here. You don't need the tests. You don't need the EP unless you can't think up extra problems for a white board. The longer I use SM, the less I get. It comes down to the teacher. (I have found an extra book or two motivates my son to pay attention, as in, "if you don't get this by the end of the week, we'll have to do some Mammoth Math on the subject". This gets him 90% of the time. :)

I only buy the workbooks, textbooks, HIG and either IP or EP. I do not buy the tests (there are plenty of reviews that I use as the test) I buy as much as I can used (you would be surprised how good of condition they are!!) To buy both the HIG and TE would be pointless and from what I have heard the TE is geared more towards a classroom.

The HIG has the mental math in it. For the lower levels you can do it on your own, but my 2a book has sime great addition table problems to review. I am really good at math and dont need the help to teach concepts, but there are some good activities as well.

What is the difference between these? I have the U.S. Edition, and I just looked at this Standards Edition sample to compare, (http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/sp_pmstdhig1a3.pdf)but they are identical.

My understanding is the Level One HIGs are most similar of the US Edition to the SE HIGs based on comments by the author of the HIGs (Jenny Horst). She has said the rest of the SE HIGs are a substantial improvement over the US Edition versions and that is what users here have corroborated.

I have only seen the SE versions myself.

Bill

Thanks everyone for all your feedback. I knew about the Teacher's Guide not being needed if you get the HIG but for some reason I thought I saw a Teacher's Edition in addition to the Teacher's Guide... ack.

I know the IP, CWP, and tests are not needed but in order for me to really know if I want to continue with SM, I thought I might want all of these. (Although maybe I'll just get the tests for the second half of the year...hmm)

Now I have the RightStart Abacus, Activities for the Abacus, and RS Games (which I still need to learn how to use more than one game). Are there any Singapore manipulatives that I should also get?

TIA,

Kathie

Thanks everyone for all your feedback. I knew about the Teacher's Guide not being needed if you get the HIG but for some reason I thought I saw a Teacher's Edition in addition to the Teacher's Guide... ack.

I know the IP, CWP, and tests are not needed but in order for me to really know if I want to continue with SM, I thought I might want all of these. (Although maybe I'll just get the tests for the second half of the year...hmm)

Now I have the RightStart Abacus, Activities for the Abacus, and RS Games (which I still need to learn how to use more than one game). Are there any Singapore manipulatives that I should also get?

TIA,

Kathie

The Standards Edition HIGs primarily use Linking Cubes/Unifix Cubes. I really wish they had used Cuisenaire Rods instead. Any of the activities in the HIGs can be transposed to C Rods easily, but Linking Rods are what they use.

Bill

Are there any Singapore manipulatives that I should also get?

TIA,

Kathie

I used unifix cubes, ones "tofus" (my son's name for them) - 10 bars and 100 flats with a place value mat (it was a stack of tearable-offable ones, and you could write on them and move your pieces. I got some three dimensional geometric shapes just to learn the names, some place value dice, and then the cards with 0-10 dots on them. My son was not very interested in manipulatives. I also got the place value "arrows" up to 1000, but only used the 1, 10, and 100 the first year. Oh and a nice, big, wooden, clacky, colorful abacus from IKEA (via good will).