Menu

American made

I haven't sought out American made. I've just always figured I cannot do much by not buying "made in China" and that's where most of our stuff comes from...

But...

Really?

Can I start somewhere? I know I am one person out of billions. I might never make a big difference in the global scheme of things. But, I would really like to start checking out how to buy a lot more of our "stuff" from America. I want to think that my purchases help my fellow countrymen (women included).

Do any of you have favorite "American made" websites? Stores that feature "American made"?? Have any of you tried to switch your purchasing habits in this way?

I have been thinking about this all weekend. I saw a special on cnbc about the amout of things being made in China and the impact on both America and China. I have been thinking really hard about this and if I will be able to only buy American made. I think there was once a show about a family who did this for about a year. I never saw on episode but now I am really itching to find it.

I would focus more on buying from local businesses regardless of the country of origin of the product. Trying to avoid things made in China is like trying to avoid air. The American-made blender you bought could have individual parts that were manufactured in China. It's not a clear-cut issue.

Though if you google "made in america products" you'll find multiple sites relating to it.

As for what we do...I will avoid some Chinese products (say...garlic and other produce) as I don't trust the quality of their soil. If it's easy to find something that's made in America, then I will do it. I prefer to focus on supporting small and/or local businesses.

I would focus more on buying from local businesses regardless of the country of origin of the product. Trying to avoid things made in China is like trying to avoid air.

THIS!!! We tried for two months to find a way to get a non-made in China coffee pot because every single one we get from department stores only lasts 6 months tops. IMPOSSIBLE! I tried ordering from Denmark and Germany directly. Can't.be.done. They aren't set up for this. We had set our net wide - America, Australia, a NATO nation...nothing. I've already decided that if I ever get to Europe, I'm buying a coffee pot and a blender and bringing them back with me even if dh has to re-wire them for the American electrical system.

A lot of people in our area, 'cause you know we are from Michigan - the dying car capitol of the world - buy American cars. Unfortunately, about the only thing American about them is that the headquarters for the company is stateside. Seriously, the engine and power train components are made overseas, the radio systems are foreign, about 75% of the parts are not made on US soil. The cars are assembled here. That's how much manufacturing has been lost here.

The main thing is that if you can squeak the extra costs out of your budget, to try to buy from local businesses. Small business employs 65% of Americans and many of them are going under and rapidly. So, if your local hardware has something you like and you can afford to pay a little more for it than the sticker price at Walmart or Target, then I'm all for paying the local hardware, florist, tire dealer, quilt shop, etc. that helps bolster the local economy.

Faith

Trying to avoid things made in China is like trying to avoid air. The American-made blender you bought could have individual parts that were manufactured in China. It's not a clear-cut issue.

Though if you google "made in america products" you'll find multiple sites relating to it.

As for what we do...I will avoid some Chinese products (say...garlic and other produce) as I don't trust the quality of their soil. If it's easy to find something that's made in America, then I will do it. I prefer to focus on supporting small and/or local businesses.

Yup. Frankly, if I'm buying Canadian-made (I'm in Canada) just on the basis that's it's Canadian-made I don't really know what that guarantees me. It doesn't always mean the company is a fair employer in my country or abroad or that everything in their product is Canadian or that the environmental impact is lesser because gosh, our countries are huge and take a lot of fuel to move things around. I just don't get it and am not willing to buy Canadian-made for some patriotic feeling.

Locally made and/or processed is much better in my mind.

I try to buy value, regardless of country of origin. I am for the free market, not protectionism.

Very astute! I should have mentioned in my above post that the reason I would really like to avoid Chinese made is that unfortunately, we aren't having much luck with quality. I would not hestitate to purchase made in"?" if the item was actually GOOD. I'm just tired of coffee pots that break every six months or blenders that do not actually blend.

Thanks for bringing that up.

Again, above all, I do like to support the local small businesses when I can.

Faith

I try to buy value, regardless of country of origin. I am for the free market, not protectionism.

There's a difference between choosing to buy locally or based on country of origin and keeping out goods manufactured by other countries.

Since we're all talking about making a choice in a market that includes goods from other nations then we're all talking about free trade and exercising the choices that system gives us. Not protectionism.

I do admit there are times value comes before the consideration of where something is made. I will buy Hyundais and Kias for the rest of my car buying days even if they start manufacturing them on Mars.

There's a difference between choosing to buy locally or based on country of origin and keeping out goods manufactured by other countries.

Since we're all talking about making a choice in a market that includes goods from other nations then we're all talking about free trade and exercising the choices that system gives us. Not protectionism.

I do admit there are times value comes before the consideration of where something is made. I will buy Hyundais and Kias for the rest of my car buying days even if they start manufacturing them on Mars.

LOL. Just an FYI, but a lot of Kia's are made in GA http://www.kmmgusa.com/

And Hyundai's are manufactured here in Alabama :)

http://www.hmmausa.com/

I LOVE it when people complain about my driving a foreign car (Nissan Quest) It shocks them when I tell them it was manufactured in Mississippi, but a lot of GM products are made in Mexico. :tongue_smilie:

LOL. Just an FYI, but a lot of Kia's are made in GA http://www.kmmgusa.com/

And Hyundai's are manufactured here in Alabama :)

http://www.hmmausa.com/

I LOVE it when people complain about my driving a foreign car (Nissan Quest) It shocks them when I tell them it was manufactured in Mississippi, but a lot of GM products are made in Mexico. :tongue_smilie:

My cousin works at a Honda plant in Ontario. I agree that foreign cars are generally anything but.

And yay for Kia! :D

We have found that there is a USA version of just about everything. Sometimes we have to pay more for it, but I feel better buying American made products too. The quality is usually better also. If it says stainless steel it does not rust through in a year the way 'stainless' does from China.

Buying local is a good one.

We buy our milk local ( we drink raw), our meat is local and grass fed and finished, our fruits and veggies all local.

I hardly shop the middle aisles in grocery stores and any non-food items we buy we check labels first.

I buy basketry goods from Mennonite folks who live around us in Kentucky whenever I can.

We just bought new bedroom suites for our boys and we traveled through southern Indiana until we found a gentleman to make our furniture (also Mennonite, or Amish, I'm not quite sure). It took almost a year, but we think it was certainly worth it. The furniture was no more than showroom furniture, yet is real, solid wood that will last forever.

I've bought kitchen goods from local potteries....

I buy local produce and other food products as much as I can around here.

I searched for more than 6 months for American made towels and can't find any. I finally gave up and bought a few this weekend as ours are in tatters....

I search out American made products like fingernail clippers because the 'made in China' ones from Wal-mart may look like fingernail clippers, but they don't work.... Can't recall where I found them.

I've not really found any online sites that offer all 'made in America' products....

Etsy is great for buying American made products. Even if they are using supplies from other countries, the items are generally handmade in the US.

Not to mention, they have tons of cool stuff.

:iagree:Yes, yes, yes!!! And even if you buy from people overseas, you're buying straight from the artist, so you get to eliminate the middleman and support creaetive people!

:iagree:Yes, yes, yes!!! And even if you buy from people overseas, you're buying straight from the artist, so you get to eliminate the middleman and support creaetive people!

That's an important point. I do buy stuff from craftspeople around the world on the internet or through organizations like 10,000 Villages.

I am big on buying locally for our food and products. I'm a label reader. I like to know whats in it or where it's from. Even on my produce, lol. I think there is a 12 step program for this, but I'm not willing to participate in it :tongue_smilie:. My husband does a lot of this :glare: when grocery shopping with me :D.

I try to buy American made. Last fall while shopping for knives for my son (a scout), I was told that Buck knives were a great starting point for a boys knife and made in the US....well yeah, some are made in the US, but the smaller ones I was looking at were made in China...no thanks. We did eventually find one, but it was a little bigger than I wanted. It turned out ok though because it's a more appropriate knife for him now.

Trade with China is anything but a free market. Because of tax, labor, quality, trademark and copyright regulatory differences, China has been able to intentionally price competitors from other nations out of some markets (ie. steel, electronics.)

Yup. Frankly, if I'm buying Canadian-made (I'm in Canada) just on the basis that's it's Canadian-made I don't really know what that guarantees me. It doesn't always mean the company is a fair employer in my country or abroad or that everything in their product is Canadian or that the environmental impact is lesser because gosh, our countries are huge and take a lot of fuel to move things around. I just don't get it and am not willing to buy Canadian-made for some patriotic feeling.

Locally made and/or processed is much better in my mind.

the only thing it guarantees, ime, is a higher price. :glare: