Menu

Writing With Skill - how long?

Well, it varied. IT's written to the student so for the most part he was working on his own. When he was done we'd go over it. Sometimes we read through the material together. I don't really keep track of time honestly. Some days were quick and others a bit longer. I'd say avg 30min, some days 45min. That was for the beta test. We're starting up w/ WWS tomorrow so I can better give you an idea in a week.

I'm signing up for the update when you have one. I received my 20 weeks WWS (Thank you Patti & SWB) and by week 15 it is starting to remind me of some of the sample exercises in CC. I am still waiting on CC thought to really compare them. I have a feeling I might use CC, but pull in WWS when we need practice on something specific or a different explanation... or could it be the other way around?? ;-) Either way I will have both when all of WWS comes out. I did thoroughly enjoy the stories in WWS and so did the kids when I read a few out loud to them.

I'm signing up for the update when you have one. I received my 20 weeks WWS (Thank you Patti & SWB) and by week 15 it is starting to remind me of some of the sample exercises in CC. I am still waiting on CC thought to really compare them. I have a feeling I might use CC, but pull in WWS when we need practice on something specific or a different explanation... or could it be the other way around?? ;-) Either way I will have both when all of WWS comes out. I did thoroughly enjoy the stories in WWS and so did the kids when I read a few out loud to them.

How can I get the first 20 weeks of WWS?

Thanks

I emailed Pattie and pattie@welltrainedmind.com and requested it. I was happy to buy an advanced copy, but they were kind enough just to send me the first 20 weeks while they continue the editing process. It definitely helped me to see where it was going and how we were getting there. ;-)

I just ordered both dc their own Acer laptops from Staples, so I am planning on downloading the student files to theirs, and both on mine, and we will work on it that way, rather than printing it all out. I did notice there are several pages along the way that would be beneficial for them to print, so we'll do it as needed.

I emailed Pattie and pattie@welltrainedmind.com and requested it. I was happy to buy an advanced copy, but they were kind enough just to send me the first 20 weeks while they continue the editing process. It definitely helped me to see where it was going and how we were getting there. ;-)

I just ordered both dc their own Acer laptops from Staples, so I am planning on downloading the student files to theirs, and both on mine, and we will work on it that way, rather than printing it all out. I did notice there are several pages along the way that would be beneficial for them to print, so we'll do it as needed.

Thanks! I will do that right now. :D Great idea - I'll ask hubby to put it on my son's Kindle.

We had some long days with the beta test. I think it would probably get faster later in the year after many weeks of practicing the same kinds of skills. But during beta testing I would say it was more like 45 min to an hour per day. Some days were harder than others (maybe day 3 was the long one??).

We are about 3 weeks in and we love it! I would say on average it takes dd11 about 30-45 minutes. Here is how we do it. Dd11 has the pages printed out but I allow her to do the assignments on her laptop. She then saves them and emails them to me. That day or night I look over what she has done and make any suggestions or corrections needed. I email it back to her and the next day she will re-do it into a final copy. That copy we print out and put in her binder. I am truly amazed at how much she has improved over just these three weeks. We will definitely be sticking with this one.

thowell,

Could I ask how many years your dd11 has been typing? I am trying to discern if this is realistic or not for mine who is only going into her 2nd year of typing. We are planning on doing a 9 week intensive at the beginning of the school year and I may even start the typing skills this coming week again. I just bought both kids their own laptops and have planned on loading WWS into each of them to begin with. From the reading I have noted there are instances where it would be easier to just print out the page, but I am wondering how it might work to use it in pdf form on their laptops and still have them type on them for the assignments. That is probably a stretch, but I wanted to ask.

thowell,

Could I ask how many years your dd11 has been typing? I am trying to discern if this is realistic or not for mine who is only going into her 2nd year of typing. We are planning on doing a 9 week intensive at the beginning of the school year and I may even start the typing skills this coming week again.

:lurk5:

thowell,

Could I ask how many years your dd11 has been typing? I am trying to discern if this is realistic or not for mine who is only going into her 2nd year of typing. We are planning on doing a 9 week intensive at the beginning of the school year and I may even start the typing skills this coming week again. I just bought both kids their own laptops and have planned on loading WWS into each of them to begin with. From the reading I have noted there are instances where it would be easier to just print out the page, but I am wondering how it might work to use it in pdf form on their laptops and still have them type on them for the assignments. That is probably a stretch, but I wanted to ask.

Well, she actually has not had a typing class. She has just played around on her laptop. I did show her the correct way to place her fingers and she has just gained speed by practicing. She is not fast by any means. However, you have to understand that this dd has dysgraphia so even slow typing is faster than hand written assignments. I would have left WWS in pdf for her but for some reason she seems to get it better if she has the papers in front of her. Also by week 2 you begin outlining and it really helped her to be able to mark the pages as she went.

What is cc?

Tx!

Lisa

DS10 just finished week 1. The first three days were pretty quick (20-25 minutes?), but then day 4 took him FOREVER. he split it over 3 days, and I'd say he spent at least an hour and a half on it. I'm hoping things will be quicker once he gets the hang of it (he did the first 3 levels of Writing with Ease, but it's been awhile, so he's out of the habit of doing that style of narration). Adding it in this year was kind of a last minute decision for us, and I'm fretting a bit over how to find the time, as he's also doing MCT Voyage level this year. But I really like the looks of it and DS likes it, too, so far (which is odd, since he HATED WWE), so I'm hoping we can shuffle some things around and do both.

We are about 3 weeks in and we love it! I would say on average it takes dd11 about 30-45 minutes. Here is how we do it. Dd11 has the pages printed out but I allow her to do the assignments on her laptop. She then saves them and emails them to me. That day or night I look over what she has done and make any suggestions or corrections needed. I email it back to her and the next day she will re-do it into a final copy. That copy we print out and put in her binder. I am truly amazed at how much she has improved over just these three weeks. We will definitely be sticking with this one.

Thanks for sharing your process. My ds is working through WWE. I'm looking forward to moving on.

My son finished WWE 3 as he just came out of ps for 5th and had no previous experience. I still think he needs more practice with WWE 4 IN 6th grade this year. Would starting WWS in 7th be considered 'late' for the program or should I have him do half WWE 4 and this year and maybe start WWS in January?

Pam

My son finished WWE 3 as he just came out of ps for 5th and had no previous experience. I still think he needs more practice with WWE 4 IN 6th grade this year. Would starting WWS in 7th be considered 'late' for the program or should I have him do half WWE 4 and this year and maybe start WWS in January?

Pam

My ds is in 7th this year and he'll start WWS. Honestly, I have no problem with this. I don't worry about the grade level in a writing class, you have to meet them where they are. WWS will give him some serious skills for the future so we're going to use it.:D