Menu

Help, How do you homeschool in California?

momof5

We are facing a possible relocation to Orange County. I have done some research, but I would love some guidance. This is what I have found so far-please correct me if I'm wrong. In CA you have basically 3 options:

1 File a simple form to declare yourself a private school. Teach required subjects your own way and keep admin records such as attendance, immunizations, etc. State colleges, however, will not accept your transcripts/ consider you for admission unless stellar SAT scores or community college transfer student.

2 Enroll in a private umbrella school. You must follow their guidelines (some schools more requirements than others). Also you must provide work samples and meet with a teacher monthly. State colleges will accept these transcripts. Or

3 Enroll in public charter umbrella school. Provide work samples, meet with teacher monthly. Receive $1500 per child for expenses-no religious materials. State schools will accept these transcripts.

Is my understanding of all of this correct?? Any opinions on which option is best? Thanks in advance for your help.

We declare ourselves a private school. We don't want to have answer to anyone. For us, being part of a charter will never happen.

I have some friends who are part of a charter, and they do say it is some effort to keep up with it all.

We do #1.

Filing an affidavit isn't a big deal.

Those with kids who want to go to the state schools simply send their kids to cc and then transfer into the state unis because it means less hassle over their high school transcripts.

The state university system can pick apart your high school transcript and deny credits for anything they want, particularly Christian-based history and sciences. So most homeschoolers avoid this by sending their kids to cc for a couple of years. Cheaper anyway as state university is now outrageous. BTW, the state university can deny private school credits of any kind. So if your child goes through a brick and mortar and takes Abeka science, it can still be denied.

I'd prefer my children attend none of them. My husband got his masters at CSU and said it was a total joke compared to his private university undergraduate degree. We don't have a very high opinion of those schools.

Thank you so much for your replies. So it seems option 1 is what lots of people do. More questions: Do u have to file an affidavit every year? Do you have to turn in attendance records?

Also, if you go from community college to a state college are you considered a first year student(for scholarship purposes) or a transfer student. As a transfer student can you still be considered for merit aid? While at the CC are you considered a dual enrolled high school student? Tia.

We are facing a possible relocation to Orange County. I have done some research, but I would love some guidance. This is what I have found so far-please correct me if I'm wrong. In CA you have basically 3 options:

1 File a simple form to declare yourself a private school. Teach required subjects your own way and keep admin records such as attendance, immunizations, etc. State colleges, however, will not accept your transcripts/ consider you for admission unless stellar SAT scores or community college transfer student.

Yes, this is true. Most homeschoolers do this.

2 Enroll in a private umbrella school. You must follow their guidelines (some schools more requirements than others). Also you must provide work samples and meet with a teacher monthly. State colleges will accept these transcripts.

A recent court case named called the private umbrella schools "Private School Satellite Programs." Not all of the PSPs have caught on to that, though, and tend to still refer to themselves as ISP (Independent Study Program). Same thing. :-) I don't know where "provide work samples and meet with a teacher monthly" came from, though. There may be PSPs that require that, but there's nothing in the law about it. I owned a PSP in California; none of my graduates had difficulty being accepted into state colleges, with or without community college credits.

3 Enroll in public charter umbrella school. Provide work samples, meet with teacher monthly. Receive $1500 per child for expenses-no religious materials. State schools will accept these transcripts.

:001_huh:

We need to have correct vocabulary on this.

There are a number of charter schools in Califorania. Some of them are campus-based, some of them are home-based; some of them are Internet-based. Neither the home-based charters nor the Internet-based charters are "umbrella schools." They are public schools. The end. The services provided vary depending on the charter. The Internet-based charters provide something like K12, in which case I don't believe there's any reimbursement for expenses; I could be wrong on that, but in any case, no one can make a blanket statement on how much moneys are provided to the parents. Also, requirements vary; IOW, not all of them require work samples or teacher meetings. There are also Independent Study Programs, which are different from charters but are still public-school-at-home. There was a time when the charters and ISPs didn't go all the way through high school, which could be changing now, and I have known of people who had trouble getting transcripts for their dc.

My recommendation is always private home education (i.e., filing your own affidavit or enrolling in a PSP), not public-school-at-home.

We do #1.

I'd prefer my children attend none of them. My husband got his masters at CSU and said it was a total joke compared to his private university undergraduate degree. We don't have a very high opinion of those schools.

Off topic...

It's your opinion, but ouch. My DH and I both graduated from CSU schools and have done quite well for ourselves. I have a BS is Biology and it was no joke earning that degree.

If you want more information about high school diplomas and UC school, do a search on a-g requirements. They are a specific set of requirements that the UC schools are looking for from high schools.

Public schools (including Public Charter Schools) meet these requirements by using books and assignments from a very specific list. They give out a-g diplomas. Some Private schools also follow the list. They can also give out a-g diplomas too. Some Private schools don't use books from the list, most often problems with science textbooks, but it could be anything. They don't give out a-g diplomas. They still do diplomas, just not a-g approved ones. Homeschools can not have an a-g approved diploma because the UC system won't approve the curriculum for homeschoolers.

It means that anyone that doesn't have an a-g diploma needs to qualify by alternate means. The alternate means are test scores or previous college experience. If you go to the UC website it spells all of this out, in extreme detail.

Personally, we are not worrying about the a-g mess at all. The whole California college system is a mess. Too many students, too few classes offered, overworked professors, it is just not worth the hassle for us.

Personally, we are not worrying about the a-g mess at all. The whole California college system is a mess. Too many students, too few classes offered, overworked professors, it is just not worth the hassle for us.

It's worth the hassle for us. UCLA is a fantastic school (I went there) and needs to be an option for us, so I guess we better start rethinking our plan. Thanks for the help

You file every year as a private school. You are supposed to keep an attendance record and an immunization record, as well as a list of "teacher qualifications."

Yes, and we also were told to keep a list of subjects and materials taught/used.

Laurel, I was unaware of keeping a list of "teacher qualifications". Can you elaborate on this? Thanks.

For anyone interested here is a link on more info about admission to the UC schools for homeschoolers.

When I was a student I went the route of community college for two years, and then I transfered to a UC school as a junior. Most of my friends took this same route, and none of us were homeschoolers. The reason for this is that it is cost- effective, and the classes at a cc are usually just as good as the classes one would take at a UC school in the first two years.

When I was a student I went the route of community college for two years, and then I transfered to a UC school as a junior. Most of my friends took this same route, and none of us were homeschoolers. The reason for this is that it is cost- effective, and the classes at a cc are usually just as good as the classes one would take at a UC school in the first two years.

So you're saying if my son does his two years at a CC, he can transfer into a UC without them having any issues of him being previously home schooled? He would essentially be in the same category as a regular high schooler that went the same CC route? Thanks!

Off to check out the link now.

You file every year as a private school. You are supposed to keep an attendance record and an immunization record, as well as a list of "teacher qualifications." Some people use a calendar and only mark the days their children are "absent" (aka, unable to do schoolwork), which are very few. Others keep a more detailed record of subjects.

The Ed. Code specifically states that private schools should indicate when their students are *absent.* There's no definition of what "absent" means, other than being absent for however long the school's day is.

Homeschooled children are never absent. If they're sick, then there's no school going on, so the dc aren't absent. If they're visiting the grandparents, then there's no school, so they aren't absent. :D

And since hsers never have to prove anything, there's no point in worrying much about it. :D

Yes, and we also were told to keep a list of subjects and materials taught/used.

If you file your own affidavit, you don't have to keep a list of materials used. You're supposed to "offer" the same subjects that are taught in public schools

Laurel, I was unaware of keeping a list of "teacher qualifications". Can you elaborate on this? Thanks.

There's not much to elaborate about.

The law (section 48222 of the Ed. Code ) says that private schools must have teachers who are "capable of teaching," and that they're supposed to keep their qualifications on file. There's no definition of what "capable of teaching means."

We homeschool through a state charter school and have had no problems doing our own thing. The school provides a curriculum and books, but we can choose to use a curriculum/books of our own choosing. We just have to keep records of what we are doing. The records are not very complicated at all. We love the school we attend. There are daily workshops that we can choose to attend or opt out of, field trips, parties, etc. It was a good choice for us.

If you file your own affidavit, you don't have to keep a list of materials used. You're supposed to "offer" the same subjects that are taught in public schools

There's not much to elaborate about.

The law (section 48222 of the Ed. Code ) says that private schools must have teachers who are "capable of teaching," and that they're supposed to keep their qualifications on file. There's no definition of what "capable of teaching means."

Thank you, Ellie. So keeping a list of subjects taught would suffice? And..."capable of teaching" is so vague. If I'm supposed to keep my "qualifications" on file, what would an example of this be for one who didn't complete a college degree? "Teacher can read, write, think logically, make decisions and follow instructions"? :lol:

Edited by cowgirl
added a few things that popped into my mind...

We homeschool through a state charter school and have had no problems doing our own thing. The school provides a curriculum and books, but we can choose to use a curriculum/books of our own choosing. We just have to keep records of what we are doing. The records are not very complicated at all. We love the school we attend. There are daily workshops that we can choose to attend or opt out of, field trips, parties, etc. It was a good choice for us.

It's the same for us. The charter school route was a great option for us. (I know it's not for everyone and it may not be for you.) They (at least our charter school) have very little involvement with what or how I teach. I choose everything myself and if it isn't sectarian (Christian, really) I purchase it with the LARGE amount of funds available to me. I'm also able to buy supplies (printer ink, paper, watercolors, pencils, stapler, lab stuff, etc.) and have my boys take lessons (fencing, Jui Jitsu, art, music, etc) with that funding. It's been a blessing for us because my boys wouldn't have been able to do as much as they have been without that funding. I meet with my adviser (who has become a very good friend of mine! :001_smile: Oh...and she happens to homeschool too!) once a month in my home or at Starbucks and I tell/show her what we did. She keeps a few assignments as work samples. It's really quite simple. We do have to participate in the state's standardized testing, but that is not a big deal for us. I could care less how my boys "measure up" and we don't do anything to prepare for the tests. They just show up and do their best.

I have been told that once they hit high school, it gets a little trickier, but that is already being discussed in this thread.

So you're saying if my son does his two years at a CC, he can transfer into a UC without them having any issues of him being previously home schooled? He would essentially be in the same category as a regular high schooler that went the same CC route? Thanks!

Off to check out the link now.

That is exactly what I am saying. :)

Thank you, Ellie. So keeping a list of subjects taught would suffice?

Actually, what one of the state associations recommends is keeping a copy of the actual Ed. Code subjects and calling it a day.

And..."capable of teaching" is so vague. If I'm supposed to keep my "qualifications" on file, what would an example of this be for one who didn't complete a college degree? "Teacher can read, write, think logically, make decisions and follow instructions"? :lol:

It doesn't matter. Write down anything: whatever education you do have, any outside courses you've taken that are slightly educational, any experience teaching, whatever. NO ONE is allowed to look at it. Ever.

Here is what the Education Code says as far as subjects; you can see that it's really general enough that you'd have to work hard NOT to "offer" these, especially since nothing is specified for specific grades, nor to what extent you might teach them:

Education Code 51210-51230

Grades 1– 6

English – Speaking, reading, listening, spelling, handwriting, composition and knowledge of and appreciation for literature and language.

Mathematics – Concepts, operational skills and problem solving.

Science – Biological and physical aspects, with emphasis on the processes of experimental inquiry and on man’s place in ecological systems.

Fine Arts – Instruction in art and music, aimed at the development of aesthetic appreciation and the skills of creative expression.

Physical Education – Physical activities conducive to health and vigor of the body and mind, for at least 200 minutes each ten school days.

Health – Principles and practices of individual, family and community health, and including effects of alcohol, narcotics, drugs and tobacco.

Social Sciences – Anthropology, economics, geography, history, political science, psychology and sociology to fit the maturity of the pupils; foundation for understanding history, resources, development and government of California and the U.S.; American economic system, including entrepreneurs and labor; man’s relations to his human and natural environment; eastern and western cultures and civilizations; contemporary issues.

Grades 7–12

(in addition to requirements for grades 1–6)

Social Sciences – American legal system, operation of juvenile and adult criminal justice systems, rights and duties of citizens under the criminal and civil law and the State and Federal Constitutions; human rights issues, with attention to the inhumanity of genocide.

Science – Emphasis on basic concepts, theories and processes of scientific investigation and on man’s place in ecological systems and interrelation and interdependence of the sciences.

Foreign Language – To begin at seventh grade; understanding, speaking, reading and writing the particular language.

Fine Arts – Add drama and skills of creative expression.

Applied Arts – Consumer and homemaking education, industrial arts, general business education or general agriculture.

Vocational/Technical Education – Preparing youth for gainful employment.

Automobile Driver Education – Including motorcycle safety.

Required of all students in all grades in addition to above – Roles in history of men/women; black Americans; American Indians; Mexicans, Asians, Pac. Island people and other ethnic groups; wise use of natural resources and protection of personal and public safety; accident prevention, emergency first aid, hemorrhage control, treatment for poisoning, resuscitation, fire prevention.

It's really easy until high school, and that is when it gets tricky if you want your child to be able to attend the state universities from freshman year on. I know a lot of great homeschoolers who have homeschooled here through high school, but not too many of them were planning on UC. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's tricky. The CC's are somewhat unreliable as far as classes 'actually happening' these days, although they are a very good value.

I would start with any of your three options for now, and use the remaining two years until your oldest enters high school to research the high school options and decide what you want to do.

Actually, what one of the state associations recommends is keeping a copy of the actual Ed. Code subjects and calling it a day.

It doesn't matter. Write down anything: whatever education you do have, any outside courses you've taken that are slightly educational, any experience teaching, whatever. NO ONE is allowed to look at it. Ever.

Good to know. I do have have 3 yrs. of college, but that's another story....

Here is what the Education Code says as far as subjects; you can see that it's really general enough that you'd have to work hard NOT to "offer" these, especially since nothing is specified for specific grades, nor to what extent you might teach them:

Education Code 51210-51230...

Thanks! I printed this out and tucked it in my folder with my PSA.

:)

Education Code 51210-51230

Grades 1– 6

English – Speaking, reading, listening, spelling, handwriting, composition and knowledge of and appreciation for literature and language.

Mathematics – Concepts, operational skills and problem solving.

Science – Biological and physical aspects, with emphasis on the processes of experimental inquiry and on man’s place in ecological systems.

Fine Arts – Instruction in art and music, aimed at the development of aesthetic appreciation and the skills of creative expression.

Physical Education – Physical activities conducive to health and vigor of the body and mind, for at least 200 minutes each ten school days.

Health – Principles and practices of individual, family and community health, and including effects of alcohol, narcotics, drugs and tobacco.

Social Sciences – Anthropology, economics, geography, history, political science, psychology and sociology to fit the maturity of the pupils; foundation for understanding history, resources, development and government of California and the U.S.; American economic system, including entrepreneurs and labor; man’s relations to his human and natural environment; eastern and western cultures and civilizations; contemporary issues.

Grades 7–12

(in addition to requirements for grades 1–6)

Social Sciences – American legal system, operation of juvenile and adult criminal justice systems, rights and duties of citizens under the criminal and civil law and the State and Federal Constitutions; human rights issues, with attention to the inhumanity of genocide.

Science – Emphasis on basic concepts, theories and processes of scientific investigation and on man’s place in ecological systems and interrelation and interdependence of the sciences.

Foreign Language – To begin at seventh grade; understanding, speaking, reading and writing the particular language.

Fine Arts – Add drama and skills of creative expression.

Applied Arts – Consumer and homemaking education, industrial arts, general business education or general agriculture.

Vocational/Technical Education – Preparing youth for gainful employment.

Automobile Driver Education – Including motorcycle safety.

Required of all students in all grades in addition to above – Roles in history of men/women; black Americans; American Indians; Mexicans, Asians, Pac. Island people and other ethnic groups; wise use of natural resources and protection of personal and public safety; accident prevention, emergency first aid, hemorrhage control, treatment for poisoning, resuscitation, fire prevention.

Thank you for all of this from me, too! We will need to start "officially" next year, and I like to be prepared in advance. I'm saving this thread!

I have gone the private route and the charter school route at various times for various reasons.

I have had nothing but good experiences with the three different charter schools I have utilizied. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have about charter schools.