Menu

When are you "done" learning to swim?

I learned to swim by the "sink or float" method in the ocean. I use no discernible stroke but can swim laps in the pool just fine. I can put my head down when doing so but prefer not to. I can float on my back or front. I can tread water. Ds, who had only a couple of sessions of swimming lessons as an older child is a bit behind my level. Neither of us could save a life and would be out of luck if we had to swim very far. What is considered being "done" for someone who wishes to swim only for recreation, exercise and to save their life if they fall off the dock? Are those goals good enough for being safe around and in water?

Um.. I think drown proofing says being able to tread water for 20-30 minutes. So if you are going for drown proofing...

Most public pools have the rule that one must be able to get oneself from one side of the pool to the other before being allowed to swim the deep end.

Coming from a boater not a life guard, it is very dangerous to swim in after someone that is drowning. That is a big no no in the boating world. We always, always sailed with easy access to a good life preserver on deck. I would put this on your dock and make sure that there is a ladder that makes it easy for anyone to get out of the water if it is your dock. If it isn't your dock but somewhere you frequent often and it needs ladders push for it. I had a friend with a close call about 2 years ago. It was cold and late. Luckily one of his buddies was with him and called his son who lived within a short walk to help get him out of the water. I would encourage learning CPR as well. If someone is knocked out and in the water I would think that it wouldn't be as dangerous to go in after them and obviously a small child is different as well. We have a pool at our home in FL. We will put up a fence between the porch and the pool to as a barrier for dd. I also have her in swim lessons and fully intend to take all the precautions I can to keep her safe while having a pool.

I know this didn't answer your question, but maybe it will put a different perspective on it for you.

I've wondered this as well. I grew up down here in Florida, always around water, etc. I can swim, tread water, etc. But if it came to me saving someone and trying to get us back to shore....or me swimming a long distance to get myself back to shore, I really doubt that I could do it. Or to think of being stuck in the ocean, with nothing around, and treading water for an undetermined amount of time...not sure how well that would work either...I don't float very well on my back for some reason either.

If I know that I'll be going in deep water, such as in a boat, I make sure that I know where the life jackets are at.

For me it was when I could pass the test to be a lifeguard. I figured if I was qualified enough to save people, I was done learning and could just work on maintaining. Not everyone has that as a goal though - I would think being proficient enough not to require saving would be fine.

For me it was when I could pass the test to be a lifeguard. I figured if I was qualified enough to save people, I was done learning and could just work on maintaining. Not everyone has that as a goal though - I would think being proficient enough not to require saving would be fine.

:iagree: I made ds do this before he went off to the military.

I told the dc they could be done with swim lessons when they passed lifesaving. I want them to be able to save their children if they have to.

3 kids drowned locally in just July. One was standing on a sand bar, knee deep, when he slipped off and couldn't get back on. His father was quoted in the paper saying "he wasn't a strong swimmer and wouldn't go in past his knees." He, obviously, stopped too soon.

Red Cross Levels I through 4 are equivalent to what the old Beginner Swimmer was, as far as swimming ability. If you passed one class 30 years ago, you learned a lot more swimming than one class today. (IOW, learning to swim costs four times as much today!)

My older kids passed the "swim test" at a nearby university pool to be allowed to swim out of arms reach of an adult. They had to swim the length of the pool and back (it was a full size pool) and tread water for 2 minutes. That said, their swimming teacher (different pool) felt my daughter was no longer a drowning risk but my son was still at risk. During a water safety class in which they were treading water he was too preoccupied with keeping his head above water and starting to freak out that he didn't listen when she told him to return to the edge of the pool.

I think they are good enough for now since they don't go swimming without an adult present. At the ocean, I don't let them go deeper than thigh level because they aren't experienced with how the surf can pull you under. If I could afford swimming lessons, I'd like them to learn more.

Personally, I could probably tread water quite a while and swim pretty far. I grew up swimming in the ocean and am comfortable in the surf. I grew up being taught ocean safety and didn't panic when I found myself caught in a rip tide when I was about 11-12 years old. In fact, I got myself out of it without help, though the lifeguards were getting nervous at how close to the pier it took me.

This is the goal I have for my kids. They will stay in swimming lessons until they can pass lifeguard training, I will not expect them to lifeguard, but I will know they are then safe in the water.

I did not stay in training that long, but swimming was taught in my school through 12th grade and I spent some time on the swim team, so feel confident with my abilities.

Thank you for the answers!

We always wear life vests in a boat no matter what. There are so many news stories here of experienced boaters and kayakers who drowned because they were not wearing a life vest. Part of the problem in our area is that the water is so cold that it wears people down, I think.

yes! and sometimes experienced water people fall in due to hitting their head and drown. If you go in without a vest and are unconscious, then there isn't much that will save you.

In all seriousness, I would not consider either of you to be 'safe' around the water. Now, I am not saying that as an insult. I am quite sure you are very good at lots and lots of things. I can promise you I am not safe on a motorcycle and maybe you can do something like that.

One good thing that all my swimming lessons taught me, and I am not a qualified lifeguard, is how dangerous the water can be and how to save myself. I had lots of swimming lessons as a kid and was lucky enough to attend a public school with a pool. We had lessons every week on top of gym class. I know how to make my clothes into flotation devices and all kinds of fun things.

My dh attended a college that had (and still has ) the infamous swim test. He was amazed at how many people couldn't swim one lap. The college swears it will not give it up. It says that teaching people to be somewhat functional swimmers to be part of educating the whole student. Many students who need swim lessons to pass the swim test continue on with lessons to become true swimmers.

I let my ds stop after swim lessons year round 2- 10 and summer swim team 6-12. I don't consider him able to save a life and you've reminded me I should go over some stuff regarding not getting in the water to save a drowning person with him. He's 16. He has a lot of difficulties with athletic pursuits.

dd will be done as far as I'm concerned when she passes lifeguarding. She will probably take WSI too --she is very interested in teaching swimming as a summer job. She is not interested in lifeguarding at this time--the responsibility for someone else's life scares her.

youngest ds does not have a "real stroke", but swims laps for as much as 45 min. He can tread quite a long time. I think he will stay in swimming because he's now old enough for special olympics and that is a good outlet for him.

I think for a child who does not have the physical problems my two sons have passing lifeguarding is important. So many people think they can swim and don't know their limits. And many people have the instinct that they need to jump in and help and unless you know how to help the result is devastating. Additionally passing lifeguarding requires an endurance swim. It's only 300 yards, but that something. My kids do summer swim team because daily yardage builds endurance in the water. Besides swim team, kids who simply spend a lot of time (summer-daily) learn how their body responds to the water--this makes it possible for them to get into floating without thinking, change strokes when tired without thinking and other things just become a natural response. These skills all come into play when in a water emergency situation.

My kids will stay in swim lessons until they pass all levels at our YMCA, and I would encourage them to take life gaurd training at 16 if they want to. My ds1 has been in swim lessons since age 4, and he has two more levels he can go through at the Y. My dd2 started at age 4 and is at the top of the 4-5 levels and will countinue with the 6 and up classes when she turns 6. Dd2, and ds2 will start at age 4 just like the others.