Menu

Drivers Ed in Texas

I have been reading past threads about Parent Taught Drivers Ed in Texas. I have sent in my form and check to the state and now I need to decide on a program. In this past thread: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260418&highlight=driver

It mentions 101 is not available from the state anymore. But it is listed on the approved course website. Has anyone used this? Did you print off the workbook?

How did you decide which program to use? My friend suggested I use "Drivers Ed in A Box" because it is "the best". I looked into it but it will only give you one certificate of completion. I have twins...

The paperwork from the states says the instructor needs to provide a bill of sale, or some of the materials or worksheets, and a certificate of completion (if provided) for proof of using an Approved course.

Did anyone ask for a certificate of completion when your dc took their driving test?

How did you decide on a program for your Texas teen?

Thanks for any suggestions. I am spending way too much time on trying to pick a program!!

Grace

Not in Texas but similar rules here. We used Driver's Ed in a box and it worked well. You might be able to cal them and discuss the twins issue and see if they would give you two certificates of completion for just a little more. You absolutely DO need that certificate to provide proof to the motor vehicle department.

You have to have the state packet ($20) to get started. You can't do the state course any longer. You do have to do some kind of instruction that will keep track of (log) the hours spent in informational instruction and in-car instruction. The programs vary as to how they collect and validate the data along the way, but my understanding is that they have to keep milestone records now. Before they didn't.

We used option #7 (or course 107). can't go look it up, as someone is sleeping in that room. The first sibling was full ride cost, and each sibling after that has been 1/2 price ($75).

Yes, you have to turn in your certificate of completion along with your other forms, and now you also have to pass a driving test. The number of offices in which you can take a driving test are limited (not every office offers the tests) and the ones that allow you to make an appointment to take the driving test are even fewer still.

hth

Not in Texas but similar rules here. We used Driver's Ed in a box and it worked well. You might be able to cal them and discuss the twins issue and see if they would give you two certificates of completion for just a little more. You absolutely DO need that certificate to provide proof to the motor vehicle department.

I have heard great things about Drivers Ed In A Box. When I called them, they can issue another certificate for $180, on top of the $380 for the initial kit! Not sure I want (or need?) to invest that much in drivers ed....

But then that sounds crazy too because of course I want to invest in my childrens safety but will spending more money make them safer?

Yes, it was costly (we found it on 'sale' for one dd) but it did the trick.

PAINLESS driver ed for the parents.

Both girls worked through the computer program-- they did complain a bit about the S. L. O. W. voice of the narrator. The program did its job and the girls learned the basic 'rules of the road'-- things they never knew (but thought they did!).

Both found their permit test easy-- even my oldest dd who freaked at the counter when she had to write her middle name and asked me OUTLOUD how to make a capital M in cursive!!!!

Both girls were 17 when they got their license-- (our family's minimum age). Oldest is now 21 and middle is 18-- no accidents or incidents and I consider both to be very safe drivers (I can sleep in the car when they are driving!).

The cost for Driver Ed in a Box is still cheaper than what the driving school our local PS contracts with (parents still pay)-- and those poor students received very little training (most classroom hours were a joke--they sat around and chatted). Students had to do almost all of the driving practice hours with their student... at least Driver Ed in a Box had parental support (reminders on how to to talk and NOT talk when your student is driving).

Both girls worked through the computer program-- they did complain a bit about the S. L. O. W. voice of the narrator. The program did its job and the girls learned the basic 'rules of the road'-- things they never knew (but thought they did!).

Hi Jann,

So did you pay the additional $180 for the second certificate of completion or did you just bring her workbook to the drivers license place? Some people have told me you don't need a completion certificate and other people have said it is a must.

UGH!!! mad at myself for wasting so much time, energy, and forum space over drivers ed. No one else seemed to fret over this decision!! I am such a freak!! :lol:

Our daughters took the course 2 years apart-- so we had to purchase each course separately.

Both times we had to present the certificate of completion at the DMV. One time they asked for the 'record' page (page where hours were logged). I kept the record book in the car AT ALL TIMES-- and we were very careful to record any time spend behind the wheel. It is very easy to forget about this requirement!

You can log hours on a separate form (or photo copy the form from the kit).

Each will need their own certificate of completion AND driving log signed by parent who registered as the instructor.

Hint: When going for the permit make sure to get a State Photo ID at the same time-- the permit does not have a picture on it and the second 'official' photo ID really comes in handy.

Guest rebamuses

Karen, we live in SA also. We just finished drivers ed through a company in Schertz--Roadworthy Driving Academy. They were great. They had simulators, too, which helped him feel comfortable before he ever got behind the wheel. It would be spendy with twins, however. I believe I paid $340, but they took care of everything. I guess with twins it would be easier to teach both at once. We didn't need anything else to do (just had baby #8 and daddy deploys next week--yikes!). Good luck in your search! I didn't actually do any research about homeschool programs, I just signed my son up for this last winter because they were offering a homeschool class during the day at a discount. Hope you find something you like.

Boy, things sure have changed. When my son and I did driver's ed, it went like this: I just made him study that little booklet, he took the written test and got his learner's permit, then I had him drive me around when I ran errands for a few months (gradually increasing speed, difficulty, weather conditions), and then we went and picked up his license. Easy peasy.

I never thought in two to three short years things would change so much. I'm too young to be talking about the "good old days." :lol:

Edited by TejasMamacita

Guest rebamuses

No kidding. When I learned to drive, I basically got in the family car and toodled around enough to pass the test--truly scary actually. I think the drivers ed course is really smart. Although I wish my son would quit telling me to stop BEHIND THE CROSSWALK LINE MOM THAT'S WHAT MY DRIVERS ED TEACHER SAID TO DO. Great. Now I have elementary-aged kids fighting in the back seat over what book on CD to listen to, a toddler crying because she didn't get to wear a pink shirt that day, a newborn crying because he felt he didn't get nursed long enough before we left for piano lessons, AND a teenager in the passenger seat reminding me of all the driving rules.

Hint: When going for the permit make sure to get a State Photo ID at the same time-- the permit does not have a picture on it and the second 'official' photo ID really comes in handy.

That isn't true. My son's permit has his picture on it and it is a hard copy just like I real driver's liscence. ( I was surprised!!) I did driver's ed i a box. I need to look and see what I need to do to get his certificatof completion because we are about ready to get his real license. I didn't know you could just get another certificate for 180 as that would be ok. My other one is starting it in the spring when he turns 15. To me, the initial price tag was ok, since people spend at least that much for their children to go to the driving school in the neighboring town. And they have to go every day after school for a month.. YUCK

Christine

Edited by choirfarm

We also did Driver's Ed in a Box for dd. DS is going to have to go to a driver's school, but we'll probably ALSO do the Driver's Ed in a Box for good measure (it's an excellent program). I would not rely on a driver's school though. And I think Driver's Ed in a Box is well worth the money (though the price has risen drastically in the last few years!).

and, no, I don't have any connection with the company and won't make any $ for the endorsement. :001_smile:

The cost is $160 for the online course, or $150 for the course on DVDs. Additional siblings still cost $75. (I would ask them about twins, though. Maybe they could arrange something less expensive for concurrent students who don't need new dvds every few years like younger siblings might.)

Everything you need is on the DVDs, except for the $20 packet that everyone has to get from the state. All the forms you'll need to turn in are printable from the DVDs or from the website.

Truly, it couldn't be easier, and it looks like it is quite a bit less expensive than some other options.

We had ds (our 3rd student driver) behind the wheel w/ permit for almost a year before he took the DL test. (State law mandates the the driver ed has to be completed within a year from filing for a permit, or you start over again, so we waited a month after his 15th b-day to get his permit.)

We drive a lot of urban highway miles, so I don't let my kids drive on their own without my being very confident of their ability to drive. And I don't let them ride with new drivers or drive a friend around until they've had their DL for a full year, either. (Can you imagine the heartache if they were to be in a deadly accident with a friend?)

hth

We had ds (our 3rd student driver) behind the wheel w/ permit for almost a year before he took the DL test. (State law mandates the the driver ed has to be completed within a year from filing for a permit, or you start over again, so we waited a month after his 15th b-day to get his permit.)

hth

Are you sure about this? Is it a new law? My oldest was on her permit for almost 2 years with no problems.

Thanks so much for this great information! Off to look up some of these programs....

I already got my state packs, so now to choose a program!!

Just FYI for anyone who may need it.... I read on another thread that the 101 program was no longer valid, but also saw some people saying they used it.

I called the DPS and they said it was re-instated and is a valid, and free, option.

Thanks so much for this great information! Off to look up some of these programs....

I already got my state packs, so now to choose a program!!

Just FYI for anyone who may need it.... I read on another thread that the 101 program was no longer valid, but also saw some people saying they used it.

I called the DPS and they said it was re-instated and is a valid, and free, option.

Great, then I will use this free option for my 2nd one. However, I will REALLY use the Driver's Ed in a box to really educate him. It is such a thorough program!!! Well worth the money, but I didn't want to pay for it twice. So now I will just reuse it but do the free option for the paperwork.

I am also trying to decide what to do about drivers ed. Here is the thing that has me confused. At what point can your child legally drive the car with you in it for the driving lessons? Do you have to complete one of these courses (ie. drivers ed in a box) and show proof to the DMV before you can do this? This is the part that has me lost.

I am also trying to decide what to do about drivers ed. Here is the thing that has me confused. At what point can your child legally drive the car with you in it for the driving lessons? Do you have to complete one of these courses (ie. drivers ed in a box) and show proof to the DMV before you can do this? This is the part that has me lost.

First you must pay a fee and register with the Department of Safety. Then you start a course. At first it is just classroom. I can't remember how many hours anymore... maybe 10??? Then you go and take a test and get a permit.

Then you do the driving part. They have to have so many hours of classroom instruction and so many hours of driving. You must bring in a certificate of completion with you when your teen takes the driving test.

Christine

Great, then I will use this free option for my 2nd one. However, I will REALLY use the Driver's Ed in a box to really educate him. It is such a thorough program!!! Well worth the money, but I didn't want to pay for it twice. So now I will just reuse it but do the free option for the paperwork.

I was thinking the same thing. I may invest in Drivers-Ed-In-A-Box but do the free program for the paperwork. I looked at my friends In-a-Box program and they need to write 2 essays along with all the other work to get the certificate.... plus the additional $180 for the second certificate. I am thinking we can do the In-A-Box program for its great instruction and just fill in the state's paperwork/workbook for the "Certificate of Completion" part.