Menu

How much school for a 7yo?

I just finished writing out our schedule for this year. We will have about 2 1/2 hours of academics a day and 1 hr of PE, plus about 30 minutes of home ec. We will do this 4 days a week, and he will go to a pull out gifted class at the ps once a week. Does this sound reasonable? Too much? Too little? It looks like a lot of subjects all typed out, but when I add up the time it doesn't seem like much.

Thanks. Sadly, ds is not like that. He likes to take breaks between each lesson and often gets "distracted". I have to set a timer for him or he will disappear until I go look for him - he's usually tucked away somewhere reading.

I don't think many want to evaluate the time it takes for a child to complete work. :D It is more important to evaulate what is getting accomplished. You are loved. :grouphug:

:iagree: I think your schedule is a good starting point. See how your child reacts after 2-3 weeks of settling into a routine and evaluate how much you're getting done.

My daughter's going into 2nd too - although she's a young 2nd grader so I let her go a little lighter on table work. You're way ahead of me - I'm completely in summer denial over here. :D

My DD is 7 and we did about 2.5-3 hours of work a day last year. We schooled an average of 4 days a week as she goes to her dad's house the 2 days a week that I work.

I changed my schedule for this upcoming year and now I still only work 2 days a week but I will work Friday through Monday every other week so I will have Tuesday through Friday of one week and Monday through Thurdsay the other week. ExH isn't good about having DD get her stuff done so I am only going to send handwriting stuff and reading stuff to his house once a week. It will be nice to have 4 days in a row to school consistantly.

DD could easily get all of her stuff done in 3 hours or less, including my "teaching" her.

I'll have a 4th grader when we home school, and I am planning on about 3-4 hours a day tops. That would include experiments, nature walks, P.E. time, etc. What I don't think will happen is a regimented schedule without breaks. The 4 hours of school time might actually take 6-7 hours of the day with plenty of breaks.

Mine is just turned 7, doing First this coming year, although 2nd on Math. His is about at 4 hrs total, including things like some circle, activity time and readalouds(specific ones I want to get to for school), plus work done with sister(4yo) as well, like craft time, music, art.

I just finished writing out our schedule for this year. We will have about 2 1/2 hours of academics a day and 1 hr of PE, plus about 30 minutes of home ec. We will do this 4 days a week, and he will go to a pull out gifted class at the ps once a week. Does this sound reasonable? Too much? Too little? It looks like a lot of subjects all typed out, but when I add up the time it doesn't seem like much.

I'm working on our line-up for 2nd grade for next school year. The oldest will be 7.5 years old when we start and is usually the eager-beaver student type. :Angel_anim: The twins will be 5.5 years old and starting what we'll call Kindergarten. Truthfully, Tickles & Snuggles will be my top priority next year, because I feel they're going to need so much teacher time for K. The second grader will probably do an average of 2-3 hours of work per day, for the days we actually do school... which probably ends up being about 36 weeks of school per year. She makes steady progress, that's all I know.

We go year-round and never schedule "on" days or "off" days. I keep every day (except Sunday) open for either school... or not! We can learn on Saturday as well as any other day. Because of the way we "do school," it would be impossible for me to say how long we school each day. My husband travels for days at a time (and then we usually do a TON of work), then he's home (and working from home) for days at a time (and we barely do math drill), :toetap05: then we might get a regular stretch of "normal" working days (and we try to do something).

I know, it sounds awful, doesn't it? FWIW, all three girls read voraciously and well, all three love to learn, and it works out just fine... schedule or no schedule. I had to let go of the idea of "from 8:00 am to 8:45 am we'll do Math, and then...." :tongue_smilie:Didn't work at all here. It might have if my husband had regular hours. :glare: I do wish we had the space for him to have an office at home, out of our only school space (the living room). We could put him somewhere in the creepy basement, maybe? :lol: